MCKillswitch123

WEEKEND THREAD | Weekend actuals (pg. 87 onward) - Dunkirk: 26.6M; The Emoji Movie: 24.5M; Girls Trip: 19.6M; Atomic Blonde: 18.2M; SM Homecoming: 13.2M; War For The POTA: 10.4M; Despicable Me 3: 7.4M; Valerian: 6.3M; Baby Driver: 3.9M; Wonder Woman: 3.3M

• Community Manager

Good to see Dunkirk going to number one. Hopefully it stays that way: will be good for my summer game weekly questions. :)

Girls Trip had a good drop as well.

The less said about that awful number for Valerian the better.  Good to see SMH kinda stabilized even if Apes continues it's awful legs. Atomic Blonde is doing right where I was expecting actually (and that's from the beginning of the summer). I had it doing $17/$48. I'm not sure it'll have that strong legs anymore but we'll see: luckily from here on out, competition isn't fierce as hell unless something comes out of nowhere and surprises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
Just now, MikeQ said:

Unfortunately, I already tried that when it first stopped working after the update. I just tried it again for good measure - no luck. The exact same lists/materials of mine that I would copy and paste before the update don't hold the formatting as they used to pre-update, for whatever reason. I really appreciate the help though. I'm sure it's a confluence of things that is not making it work. It is frustrating, but maybe its a sign telling me I post too many lists and stuff anyway. Heh.

Peace,

Mike

Can you submit a support ticket so I can log it? Try copy-pasting the list and screenshotting how it should look like. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Not Canadian. 

Its the dude from Parenthood and my own private Idaho.

Keanu has been in so many great movies which is why I included him in my top 3 actors I would watch if I could only watch 3 actor's filmographies for the rest of my days.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24460-you-can-only-watch-movies-featuring-three-actors-for-the-rest-of-your-life/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Can you submit a support ticket so I can log it? Try copy-pasting the list and screenshotting how it should look like. :)

Thanks, I will do that. :) 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think 30 million was very unrealistic.  This is Charlize Theron.  She's never had a breakout film that has been marketed on her name alone.  This was a risky project from the get go and imo, you have to look back at other films of similar ilk.  I guess Lucy is what people were thinking and to be honest, that is kind of a confusing gross when you look at what Johansson has done since in her solo outings.  But when you look at even something like Columbiana, imo, that's more realistic than Lucy.  So this is going to blow Columbiana out of the water and it will probably debut to about what Wick did.  Not bad imo.

The concept for Atomic Blonde always seemed "niched" to me anyway, with or without a notable star attached to it. I think it did reasonably well for what it was. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

But can he protect us from the MAN IN BLACK?

If he doesn't...BILLIONS of people will die.

I DO NOT WIN THE BOX OFFICE WITH MY HAND.  HE WHO WINS THE BOX OFFICE WITH HIS HAND HAS FORGOTTEN THE FACE OF HIS FATHER (*dramatic flashback to a 70MM camera), I WIN WITH MY EYE.  I DO NOT BEAT THE DARK TOWER WITH MY HAND, I BEAT IT WITH MY MIND.  I DO NOT KILL WITH MY 70MM CAMERA *Nolan is shown shooting a digital camera to death after a physical manifestation of one kidnaps Harry Styles*...I KILL WITH MY HEART.

THE D(unkirk)ARK TOWER(s over the competition)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

• Community Manager
5 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think 30 million was very unrealistic.  This is Charlize Theron.  She's never had a breakout film that has been marketed on her name alone.  This was a risky project from the get go and imo, you have to look back at other films of similar ilk.  I guess Lucy is what people were thinking and to be honest, that is kind of a confusing gross when you look at what Johansson has done since in her solo outings.  But when you look at even something like Columbiana, imo, that's more realistic than Lucy.  So this is going to blow Columbiana out of the water and it will probably debut to about what Wick did.  Not bad imo.

My point of comparison was always John Wick actually. Based my prediction on the first Wick movie.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

My point of comparison was always John Wick actually. Based my prediction on the first Wick movie.

Also it's being distributed by Focus Features, they're not known for films like this.

Good to see that WOM for The Emoji Movie won't be much better than the reviews. I haven't seen it nor do I plan to, but it always looked like a stupid idea to me. Dunkirk keeps the chances for 200m alive, which shows how big of a brand name Nolan is. Continously making quality products does that to you. DM3 still has a chance at $1 Billion worldwide, which is insane. Its box office is a mix between Shrek and Ice Age, which equals $$$. This franchise will be around for a long-ass time, folks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

but it always looked like a stupid idea to me

But commercially it was a really strong one, has shown by how much it is doing despite being a terrible movie (unlike say Monster Truck idea)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Poor Apes. Another 50% weekend drop after nearly 63% last week. :(

This is very surprising 

Previous movies had good worth of mouth 

This has great reviews and word of mouth 

But seats are not filling in theaters .

Is it the perfect storm of sandwiched between spiderman and Dunkirk plus girls trip combo ? Apes being the loser out ?

I guess if you have so many well reviewed movie one needs to lose 

Edited by hasanahmad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just got back from Girls Trip and it deserves the success. 

Audience was really responsive. My friends and I laughed out loud a lot.

Girls Trip succeeded where Snatched kinda failed. Baywatch is a non factor because it was completely devoid of any laugh out loud moments. 

Comedy of the summer. No competition. 

And Dunkirk may be #1 again, but I think Girls Trip is the real success story of the weekend. Just like last weekend. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just got back from Girls Trip and it deserves the success. 

Audience was really responsive. My friends and I laughed out loud a lot.

Girls Trip succeeded where Snatched kinda failed. Baywatch is a non factor because it was completely devoid of any laugh out loud moments. 

Comedy of the summer. No competition. 

And Dunkirk may be #1 again, but I think Girls Trip is the real success story of the weekend. Just like last weekend. 

What was its comedy competition this summer