filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

https://www.screendaily.com/news/luca-guadagnino-plots-call-me-by-your-name-sequel-exclusive/5123280.article

Director Luca Guadagnino is planning a sequel to Call Me By Your Name, which would be set seven years after the events depicted in his acclaimed adaptation of André Aciman’s 2007 novel.

“I want to do a sequel because Timothée Chalamet, Armie Hammer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Amira Casar, Esther Garrel – they are all gems,” said Guadagnino during a sit-down at the BFI London Film Festival, where Call Me By Your Name played as a gala. “The texture we built together is very consistent. We created a place in which you believe in the world before them. They are young but they are growing up.”

Guadagnino added that his ideal scenario would be for the second film to be made for a 2020 release. “If I paired the age of Elio in the film with the age of Timothée, in three years’ time Timothée will be 25 as would Elio by the time the second story was set,” said the filmmaker.

Hammer’s character Oliver would be 31 in Guadagnino’s planned sequel – “which will be closer to the age that Hammer will be at the time”. The US actor, who shot Call Me By Your Name when he was 29, will turn 34 in 2020.

Huh.

• Thanks 1

But overall having slept on it for close to a week now I honestly feel it might be top 5 of the decade material. There's a couple of things I can imagine facing skepticism from those who aren't fully on its wavelength, and I'll need to take a second look myself to be completely sure, but for now I'm inclined to give myself over to it. Dramas this exceptionally well-balanced appear once every few years at best. 

• Like 2

SPC has posted the expansion plan as to where and when it'll open. Looks like they're gonna be waiting until around the Oscar nominations are announced to expand it beyond metropolitan areas (it'll be in less than 100 theaters on Christmas weekend), which is the best choice they could've made. Click "Get Tickets" for info.

http://sonyclassics.com/callmebyyourname/

Edited by filmlover

You can tell Luca Guadagnino read this book and dedicated a portion of his life to both adapting the novel for the screen and crafting it to perfection like a sculpture. The passion the book had on Guadagnino is what he displays on screen for others to view and its 132-minute mesmerizing work of art. Right when I begin to feel fatigued by “coming of age” movies, this comes out and blows me away by whole heartedly expressing that this genre is here and will never die for there still plenty of stories to tell. This book spoke to him on another level, and he does the same by translating that to the audience. It displays our human desire to attach ourselves romantically to others, but it also shows what we are supposed to want or what we desire. What the animated short film, “In a Heartbeat” is for kids,  is what “Call Me By Your Name” is to adults.

So I saw this at the MoMA with my friend Fran, and right next to her an old woman was squinting and cringing at every moment Elio and Oliver kissed or did something sexually. Afterwards, we were laughing at the fact that so many seniors in the theater who consider themselves cinephiles didn't know jack shit about the movie, so they were just in for a surprise. If you aren't with films that deal with homosexuality, then don't watch this film. If you are a homophobe but consider yourself a cinephile, go see this. It will make you see people the same way you see yourself no matter what your orientation is. I'm telling you this is a compelling picture about acceptance, so if you are a homophobe, get off your fucking high horse and see this movie. 

YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU MIKE PENCE!

FULL REVIEW HERE: 
http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//call-me-by-your-name-review

Edited by rjones1325
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

You can tell Luca Guadagnino read this book and dedicated a portion of his life to both adapting the novel for the screen and crafting it to perfection like a sculpture. The passion the book had on Guadagnino is what he displays on screen for others to view and its 132-minute mesmerizing work of art. Right when I begin to feel fatigued by “coming of age” movies, this comes out and blows me away by whole heartedly expressing that this genre is here and will never die for there still plenty of stories to tell. This book spoke to him on another level, and he does the same by translating that to the audience. It displays our human desire to attach ourselves romantically to others, but it also shows what we are supposed to want or what we desire. What the animated short film, “In a Heartbeat” is for kids,  is what “Call Me By Your Name” is to adults.

So I saw this at the MoMA with my friend Fran, and right next to her an old woman was squinting and cringing at every moment Elio and Oliver kissed or did something sexually. Afterwards, we were laughing at the fact that so many seniors in the theater who consider themselves cinephiles didn't know jack shit about the movie, so they were just in for a surprise. If you aren't with films that deal with homosexuality, then don't watch this film. If you are a homophobe but consider yourself a cinephile, go see this. It will make you see people the same way you see yourself no matter what your orientation is. I'm telling you this is a compelling picture about acceptance, so if you are a homophobe, get off your fucking high horse and see this movie. 

YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU MIKE PENCE!

FULL REVIEW HERE: 
http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//call-me-by-your-name-review

Calling people  names is such a persuasive way to get them to see a film.

• Disbelief 1

On 11/13/2017 at 11:32 PM, filmlover said:

SPC has posted the expansion plan as to where and when it'll open. Looks like they're gonna be waiting until around the Oscar nominations are announced to expand it beyond metropolitan areas (it'll be in less than 100 theaters on Christmas weekend), which is the best choice they could've made. Click "Get Tickets" for info.

http://sonyclassics.com/callmebyyourname/

Not playing at a movie pass theater by me anytime soon.