filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

39 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

The Sony Pictures Classics f'ed up with film's run. Had red hot buzz off its strong opening, but Sony instead of progressively expanding the theater count has decided to stall this film's expansion, which has made buzz completely burn off. It will be interesting to see if this film can recover but I highly doubt it...especially since this weekend according to the film's website it is only expanding 3 theaters....I mean WHAT THE F*CK!

It's getting a major expansion on January 19, when Oscar nominations will be announced the following week (remember that Room appeared to be stalling at about $5M after three months of release before Oscar noms came along and it nearly tripled its gross). For the best, really; red hot specialty numbers or not, it's still a film about a teenage boy's sexual awakening. Not exactly stuff that you could expect to play well beyond the big cities.

Saw it last week btw and it's my favorite film of the year. Chalamet (especially) and Hammer are phenomenal.

• Like 1

This movie is so, so, so good. Timothée Chalamet is nothing short of terrific. It feels like everyone, namely Luca, Timothée, and Armie (and Michael Stuhlbarg!), completely get it with this film. (What a year Stuhlbarg is having, and he destroys me in this movie. Though unlikely, I'd love to see him surprise and get a supporting nod at the Oscars.) They nailed the essence of this story. There were two moments, in particular, where I lost it, and I sat unwavering through to the end of the credits. 

A week later and I can't stop thinking about it. Very few movies sit with me like this. Beautiful work.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Let Oldman have his moment, he deserves it.

Dude s freaking living legend and he doesn't disappoint in Dunkirk Part Deux.

He only deserves it if he deserves it.  

That's the reasoning that got Al Pacino winning for Scent of A Woman over RDJ in Chaplin.  It's the reasoning that resulted in Al Pacino not winning for Serpico or Godfather II and Peter O'Toole losing for Lawrence of Arabia.  If it's worthy let youth be served.   Of course it's the other way around when it's ingenues - they get the Best Actress trophy over more deserving veteran actresses because they're young and beautiful.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeQ said:

A week later and I can't stop thinking about it. Very few movies sit with me like this. Beautiful work.

Same. Been a very long time since I saw a movie that actually made me reflect on when I was around the main character's age like this one did. Sexual orientation is irrelevant to the film's overall message.

My head says I can't stand all this LGBTQPT+()Z stuff in movies that's made to win oscars, I really couldn't care less about gay stories at this point.

My heart says I absolutely loved A Bigger Splash. That movie was so nasty and vulgar, it was brilliant. So much fun.

So do I watch it or not?

Edited by Tree Billboards

2 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

My head says I can't stand all this LGBTQPT+()Z stuff in movies that's made to win oscars, I really couldn't care less about gay stories at this point.

My heart says I absolutely loved A Bigger Splash. That movie was so nasty and vulgar, it was brilliant. So much fun.

So do I watch it or not?

Aren't you transgender?

Huh... this thread took a sharp left, didn't it?

I'm hoping this one opens in my neck of the woods on the 19th, but my hometown is notoriously spotty with SPC (they didn't get Whiplash a few years back), so we'll see. Like Lady Bird, this is one I wouldn't mind making a lengthy trip to see.