filmlover

Call Me by Your Name | Sony Pictures Classics | 11/24/2017 in NY and LA

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Seems like creating awareness is their big issue. Did anyone even know this was expanding wide on the 19th until a few days before that? Looking at how their movies always expand and how much their PTAs drop it's like they just take it for granted that interest is there and don't do any work in trying to increase and sustain it. 

They didn't even give it a TV ad push until after the Golden Globes occurred! A total botch job on SPC's part.

Also: @TalismanRing this is definitely a more mainstream-friendly film than Phantom Thread, having seen both. Not surprised the latter has been struggling to catch on with audiences even with a Best Picture nomination.

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Not to mention it was right against Phantom Thread which was hotter and buzzier and went down after exactly the same audience in the same amount of theaters. This is like a textbook example of how not to roll out your hugely acclaimed awards season prestige movie. 

I wouldn't call Phantom Thread the exact same audience, CMBYN was one of my most anticipated films of the year. honestly almost anyone in LGBT community and a great deal of young adults should eat this up. Phantom Thread looks like a movie for Oscar nerds and people 50+

Either way I don't know why Sony didn't expand this more this weekend or wait, seems like this should be about to hit at least 1,500 theaters. not that I'm saying it would hit Brokeback Numbers. but $25m+ should have been easily achievable with a better release strategy 

• Like 1

I mean, I get being hyped for this if you want a gay movie, but I really fail to see what makes it so "mainstream".

(spoilers for both this and Phantom Thread)

The central relationship borders on icky and doesn't even have any sort of palpable chemistry to mitigate that, and the ending is in the same mopey, tragic mold of every other LGBT Oscar-bait romance that's come out recently. And of course there's the peach scene.

Phantom Thread however really is more of a "fun" movie and is clearly crafted with a goal of entertaining the audience. It ends on a perversely optimistic note and only treads into R territory because of its three or four F words. The audience comes out of it both feeling good and with substance to chew on.

I volunteer myself to be the Phantom Thread army's general if this becomes a fanboy war.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Hide contents

The central relationship borders on icky and doesn't even have any sort of palpable chemistry to mitigate that, and the ending is in the same mopey, tragic mold of every other LGBT Oscar-bait romance that's come out recently. And of course there's the peach scene.

Phantom Thread however really is more of a "fun" movie and is clearly crafted with a goal of entertaining the audience, and it ultimately ends on a perversely optimistic note and only treads into R territory because of its three or four F words. The audience comes out of it both feeling good and with substance to chew on.

Yeah, you're in the minority with this opinion. Not gonna turn this into a spoiler-filled thread (for both movies) as to why and leave it at that.

Edited by filmlover

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, you're in the minority with this opinion. Not gonna turn this into a spoiler-filled thread (for both movies) as to why and leave it at that.

Am I? I mean, maybe it's too early to tell but even though Phantom Thread currently trails CMBYN in box office it's got a pretty good advantage in current weekend gross and PTA (and PTA :P). It's certainly going to play better to those 50+ filmgoers and I think most younger who are willing to give it a chance will end up enjoying it. 

Edited by tribefan695

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Am I? I mean, maybe it's too early to tell but even though Phantom Thread currently trails CMBYN in box office it's got a pretty good advantage in current weekend gross and PTA (and PTA :P). It's certainly going to play better to the 50+ filmgoers and I think it lends itself a lot better to repeat viewings.

Well, strictly leaving the discussion to the movies and your take there...

Spoiler

CMBYN's ending is actually filled with plenty of hope, because even though Elio is crushed by the news of Oliver's engagement, he'll never forget the time they were together and will ultimately be OK.

Phantom Thread's ending, however, is only "hopeful" in the same way Gone Girl's ending is "hopeful" (if you even want to call it that - keep in mind this movie is obviously much less outlandish and vastly more understated than Gone Girl was). It's clear that these two are stuck in a very toxic relationship.

Peace.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Well, strictly leaving the discussion to the movies and your take there...

Reveal hidden contents

Peace.

considering luca wants to do a sequel about AIDS i'm guessing maybe not.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

As much as I love this movie, I really don't want a sequel to it.

hey man he's comparing it to the Before sequels and everyone always throws out a "i dunno man i'm not sure this is a good idea that last one ended perfect" every time one of those rolls around so more fool you if he pulls it off.

And Gone Girl was a big hit. Auds lap that shit up.

I don't necessarily disagree with that interpretation of CMBYN's ending but regardless it was a tediously emo resolution. Wake me when a gay movie comes out where they actually do get their happily-ever-after ending (though preferably not in this case). I feel like audiences are getting tired of the "star-crossed lover" angle in gay movies and at this point just want them to be able to go through with it.

Edited by tribefan695