CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

On 8/23/2022 at 4:54 AM, Porthos said:

Loved this behind the scenes, as someone who enjoyed the show more than most I really like to see the process behind everything.

Ewan and Hayden  together will always be great. 

Also always funny to see people blaming The Volume for certain scenes that were Blue Screen or shot on location lol, I guess at that point ILM have to take people not being able to tell as a compliment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Also always funny to see people blaming The Volume for certain scenes that were Blue Screen or shot on location lol, I guess at that point ILM have to take people not being able to tell as a compliment.

There’s a reason why I made that catty remark in the HotD thread. ;)

Still, this really does add another datapoint to my theory that the ‘rona either just really fucked with some productions, or just raised the degree of difficulty.  Doesn’t appear that Andor is gonna get hit to the same degree, though I won’t be surprised if some scenes might look a little more dodgy than others if this theory really is right.  Even in the fantastic Andor/Luthen scene I could spot a few seams that I might not otherwise have noted (of course the acting was so damn good, I didn’t care).

Of course, here is where the cinematographer earns their salary, so I suppose one can only “blame” COVID so much.  Not that I’m really ever blaming the pandemic, more as always, taking it into consideration when I pass judgment on various things.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There’s a reason why I made that catty remark in the HotD thread. ;)

Still, this really does add another datapoint to my theory that the ‘rona either just really fucked with some productions, or just raised the degree of difficulty.  Doesn’t appear that Andor is gonna get hit to the same degree, though I won’t be surprised if some scenes might look a little more dodgy than others if this theory really is right.  Even in the fantastic Andor/Luthen scene I could spot a few seams that I might not otherwise have noted (of course the acting was so damn good, I didn’t care).

Of course, here is where the cinematographer earns their salary, so I suppose one can only “blame” COVID so much.  Not that I’m really ever blaming the pandemic, more as always, taking it into consideration when I pass judgment on various things.

Yeah COVID for sure had an impact, lots of elbow bumps going on in some of the footage and yeah I think Andor will suffer from it a bit just like nearly every show/movie shot during 2020 and early 2021.

• Like 2

FOr various reasons I skipped a lot of streaming shows this summer, and now I am getting caught up, and this is next on my binge watching list.Most people seem to be overall dissapointed in this, and I note the only one here giving it  8 and 9 ratings are the SW fans who will automatically love anything with the magic words "Star Wars" on them.

My main doubt about this is how much suspense can you generate when you already know the ultimate outcome? Not saying it can't be done, but it takes a high level of execution to pull off. You don't seem to have that here.

Edited by dudalb

Just saw the Kai Patterson cut. It's the entire Obi-Wan series but condensed down to 2.5 hrs. It is not only orders of magnitude in improvement on the original series but actually made me kinda like the Inquisitor lady villain. It makes the Obi-Wan series my 3rd favorite Disney+ Star Wars series (behind Andor and Mandalorian but ahead of Bad Batch & Book of Boba) I highly recommend everyone give it a look.

https://www.kaipattersonfilms.com/kenobi

Edited by lilmac

On 7/12/2023 at 2:36 PM, Porthos said:

Andor wasn't the only SW show to get Emmy love today. 👍

Glad it got nominated. It's not perfect but it's a great show and deserves the appreciation. I think it mostly got in cause Miniseries/Anthology is kind of weak this year in terms of shows but nevertheless glad it did!

• Like 2

So, I finally watched this series - and it was GOOD!  Not quite as good as Andor, and I had a few gripes, but it really nailed a start to finish story wrapped in a little bow.  It made its 6 episodes all count and didn't overcomplicate the story, while still building more of the world and providing new characters to enjoy.

Okay, maybe now I'll keep working my way back to Mandalorian - Andor got me to watch Kenobi...and Kenobi might have gotten me in for Mando...

• Like 3