CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

So now we know why Kessel Run Transmissions suddenly and without explanation closed up shop last summer:

Background extras, sure.  But still living the dream.  Even got a shoutout from the SW Twitter account:

(now I also presume the breakup between two of the hosts of KRT [who are not in this shoot it could be noted] also probably played a role, but this does explain why KRT just completely closed up shop as opposed to just going on in a different form)

So glad and happy for them. 👍

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I'm afraid you missed the plot 

Spoiler

Maul, Grand Inquisitor, and Reva are all Dark Side users who survived a lightsaber to the guts.  They are using hate and revenge as a way to survive.  Jedi don't use those, hence why Qui Gon did not survive the stabbing.

Reva is not "good".  She is on a personal mission to kill Anakin for what he did to her and her friends.  She was acting unhinged because it was a way to move of the ranks and become the Grand Inquisitor.  This was her goal as she saw as the best way to get closer to Vader and eventually go for the kill.  She still attacked the base and was responsible for several killings, she isn't trying to be some saint.  Now she knows Luke is on Tatooine and is probably going to go try and kill him to spite Vader again.  She's not a good person.

• Like 4

BTW, I want to say how much I am loving

Spoiler

Rupert Friend's interpretation of the Grand Inquisitor. 

Sure, the head piece/teeth might be off, but god damn is his delivery and acting perfection.  More of him in the future, please.

As more than one person noted, he might as well said "I lived bitch" as he strolled in and just completely eviscerated Reva.

Not the same as Jason Isaac's interpretation of the character in Rebels, but still loving it all the same.

• Like 2

II actually really liked this episodes, I even liked Reva here, if she was a better character in the other 4 episodes, that Vader duel would have hit harder... Much much better than the first 4 episodes.

Now for nitpicks Leia lasting ages in finding a thing in such tiny place for the tension, it does not help that they did not show her even trying and the second is that ofc Reva is left alive and finds something groundbreaking because of course.

43 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I'm afraid you missed the plot 

Hide contents

Maul, Grand Inquisitor, and Reva are all Dark Side users who survived a lightsaber to the guts.  They are using hate and revenge as a way to survive.  Jedi don't use those, hence why Qui Gon did not survive the stabbing.

Wtf?

44 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Hide contents

Reva is not "good".  She is on a personal mission to kill Anakin for what he did to her and her friends.  She was acting unhinged because it was a way to move of the ranks and become the Grand Inquisitor.  This was her goal as she saw as the best way to get closer to Vader and eventually go for the kill.  She still attacked the base and was responsible for several killings, she isn't trying to be some saint.  Now she knows Luke is on Tatooine and is probably going to go try and kill him to spite Vader again.  She's not a good person.

Well that makes a little more sense.

This is an interesting point from Jordan Maison (writing over at Cinelinx), and I noted it myself last night.

Gonna strip out the spoily bits plus some other extraneous thoughts so I can post this outside a spoiler box:

Something the show has done better than almost any other Star Wars media using Darth Vader at this point; is keeping in mind that ANAKIN is very much inside the suit. It’s easy to look at Anakin and Vader as separate entities; hard to reconcile thee disparate actions of them.

This is the first time I’ve been able to imagine Darth Vader acting the same way even if he never needed the suit. Too often it’s easy to conflate the horror of Vader’s actions with his terrifying visage. Here though, using Hayden Christensen’s obvious body language, it’s possible to imagine Vader still being just as bad while looking normal.

By doing so much to remind us of the man INSIDE the suit, however, I’m able to make that connection on a human level once again.

I'm not sure just how often Hayden Christensen is actually in the Vader suit, but last night I was stuck by the body language of Vader in his movements and poses and how much they reminded me of Hayden Christensen as Anakin.  

It's a little, subtle, thing, sure.  But I do remember thinking at one point last night "That's Anakin in that suit" and not just "Vader being Vader".

Slipping into spoilers now...

Spoiler

Of course having the flashbacks certainly helped establish the body language/tone, but even without that it's something that now that I'm looking for it is in fact providing a little bit of extra zest.  And one I appreciate a lot.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

On 6/18/2022 at 6:51 PM, Eric Presley said:

🤔

I have been saying this for weeks but no one will listen to me.

Also I really hate that I have to wait another three hours for this. They spoiled us so much when they released it at 12 AM Eastern time. Can we go back to that? I’d like to watch this and go to bed

You know, in an era where there are soooooooo many complaints about shows literally spoon feeding you information, I'm struck by... I don't want to say a subtly here, but I'm not sure I can find the right words.

I know that...

Spoiler

they're boxed in by canon, but I think the show here was saying, once Obi Wan truly saw Vader as Anakin... he COULDN'T kill him.  Not emotionally outside of a battle. 

It just broke Obi-Wan's heart in some way and he just could not kill his brother outside of the heat of battle. Sure, he claimed his brother was truly dead.  And maybe he believed it.  But, then again, unlike a certain someone who I will mention in a moment, he decided not to take vengeance for his friend.

In a way, I think it is drawing on ROTS in some ways.  When push comes to shove, he just... can't.

Is that a character flaw?  Well, I'm sure people will howl.  And, yes, boxed in by canon.

But, looking at the expressions on Obi Wan, he just metaphorically couldn't pull the trigger.  Not in "cold blood" as I said.

And, yes, not only are the parallels to the Ahsoka/Vader fight in Rebels striking, they are certainly intentional.

It also heightens, a bit, Obi-Wan's dialogue in RotJ concerning Luke and Vader.  Obi-Wan knows all too well how strong the ties of brotherhood go when he hears Luke say "I can't kill my own father".  It turns the following line "Then the Emperor has already won" into an all-too-knowing 'I've been there myself and I can't blame you' resigned undertone.

So, sure, the knee jerk reaction is to howl that Obi-Wan leaving Vader AGAIN makes no sense.  But to me, it makes all the sense in the world.

If Vader's mask hadn't split open and he hadn't heard Anakin one last time?  Maybe things would have been different.

But it also gave him that closure he so BADLY needed.

Jumping to a compare/contrast [SW Rebels spoilers]...

Spoiler

Ahoska, on the other hand, was all too willing to keep battling Vader.  Of course, Vader wasn't at Ahsoka's mercy.  But, as Dave Filoni has noted, Ahsoka is far more like Anakin than she is Obi-Wan ("Anakin, as he should have been", he once said, paraphrasing the famous Tolkien line.

Speaking of parallels:

One on the left:

FV12cldUUAAToyI?format=jpg&name=medium

And then one on the right:

FV12dMQUUAAP-Es?format=jpg&name=large

Mirror images of each other.  Which also alludes to the opposite reactions that Ben and Ahsoka had [though even there, the Ahsoka reaction is more complicated than I am going into here when we finally saw the second half of the fight])

• Like 5