CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

17 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Part 5 was easily my favorite episode so far.   Intense, emotional, and action packed!

Gut reaction I just left with Cap off-thread:

"If people complain about that episode, there's no god damn hope for this fandom. j1aUlyv.gif"

Haven't checked reactions yet, so I hope to hell fandom isn't disappointing me right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spoiler

Anakin was a little ropy at the beginning, I will admit. Did they use any de-aging there, as I thought they did, but a check of Twitter makes me not sure.

But once it got into the swing of things, I ceased to care.  Also did seem to get better as the training/fight went along.

Easily will overlook the limitations of a TV budget mind, for the quality of the duel/lesson between the two in the flashback.

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Gut reaction I just left with Cap off-thread:

"If people complain about that episode, there's no god damn hope for this fandom. j1aUlyv.gif"

Haven't checked reactions yet, so I hope to hell fandom isn't disappointing me right now.

Reactions are very positive from what I've seen so far, aside from the usual nitpicking.  That episode answered a lot of things people had issues with, if only Star Wars fans had more patience LOL

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

That episode answered a lot of things people had issues with, if only Star Wars fans had more patience LOL

*starts to run for a windmill dunk concerning the tenets of SW*

*pauses*

You know what?  Too easy.  I'll pass on it this time.

(Besides, the implied dunking can be just as sweet :lol:)

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Thank god for that disclaimer before the episode started, I don't think I could've prepared myself for the disturbing events that followed.  Thank you Disney for doing the needful.

You probably realize this but...

Spoiler

It was because of the replaying of the children massacre from Order 66.  

The same disclaimer was added after broadcast to the first episode after some backlash so it isn't hard to see why Disney put it on this one as well.  Especially with Reva starting down Anakin and getting attacked as a kid.

(Also, apparently, the disclaimer wasn't shown in the UK, at least according to SW Leaks)

Anyway, might as well said "We're showing that scene from Order 66 again, so buckle up folks."

Edited by Porthos

Yeah this was definitely the best episode yet. 

Spoiler

Is Reva not dead? I ended up quite liking her character after the reveals here, but it would be weird for the Empire not to kill her off fully. Didn't quite understand what was going on at the end of the episode with Luke.

Tala's death was pretty emotional. 

Always love to see Hayden. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

Best episode so far (8.5/10). My only gripes are that "she" should be fucking dead and the end with the damaged communicator was confusing didn't understand what was going on.

Action was way better here and we got some much needed answers but  there are still some production value issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah this was definitely the best episode yet. 

Hide contents

Is Reva not dead? I ended up quite liking her character after the reveals here, but it would be weird for the Empire not to kill her off fully. Didn't quite understand what was going on at the end of the episode with Luke.

Tala's death was pretty emotional. 

Always love to see Hayden. 

In my opinion the stuff at the end is setting up

Spoiler

Obi-Wan vs Reva on Tatooine as she'll come to take Luke to use against Vader

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My objective review is that this REALLY should have been a movie, or released in two parts if they wanted more D+ content. The episodes are not really structured like traditional TV, so the wait is just killing the momentum, and frankly, I don’t care enough to be excited to turn in every week. 

my unobjective review is ANAKIN SKYWALKER IS MY EVERYTHING AND OH HELLO HUNNY AND PLEASE JUST MAKE OUT WITH OBIWAN 😭😭😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

This show definetly has LOWS and HIGHS

This last episode imo was a HIGH for nearly the whole time. Excellent pacing, perfomances and i actually like where the story went this time unlike the last episode.

Im hoping for a good finale next week. If Episode 6 delivers like this one did, all in all this will be a great show imo.

I'm really really liking the character of Reva and I am absolutely clueless as to why some people are having any kind of problems with her character whatsoever. Star Wars needs more characters like her.

Also, great episode. A few dubious editing choices during action scenes but drama-wise it was great. No surprises though seeing as Andrew Stanton wrote that episode. Can the show make a recovery for me? I thought Ep.3 was a low point.

I can sense the fandom loving that episode.

Spoiler

Why are Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting with lightsabers? That sounds really risky. Aren't Jedi usually training with training swords?

Reva had like the worst timing to try and kill Vader. She's stupid lmao. She should have went for the kill when he was concentrating and using the force on the ships. But then again, she doesn't seem to think things through too much.

Vader has no chill. I like how he's still so impatient and always on edge. Also, nice callback to ESB when he was fighting Reva with one hand, that's exactly what he did with Luke. He does this when he knows he has the upper hand.

Edited by Daxtreme

I will admit that I did not see

Spoiler

the twist that Reva wanted to kill Vader as opposed to win his approval coming.  Caught me completely by surprise and in the best way possible.  And it really does make sense and simultaneously puts a lot actions of the character in a different light and make sense in retrospect.

of course, I also loved that Vader and the Grand Inquisitor saw it a mile away and were setting her up/using it for their own ends.

Speaking of…

17 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

I'm really really liking the character of Reva and I am absolutely clueless as to why some people are having any kind of problems with her character whatsoever. Star Wars needs more characters like her.

Also, great episode. A few dubious editing choices during action scenes but drama-wise it was great. No surprises though seeing as Andrew Stanton wrote that episode. Can the show make a recovery for me? I thought Ep.3 was a low point.

I can sense the fandom loving that episode.

Hide contents

Why are Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting with lightsabers? That sounds really risky. Aren't Jedi usually training with training swords?

Reva had like the worst timing to try and kill Vader. She's stupid lmao. She should have went for the kill when he was concentrating and using the force on the ships. But then again, she doesn't seem to think things through too much.

Vader has no chill. I like how he's still so impatient and always on edge. Also, nice callback to ESB when he was fighting Reva with one hand, that's exactly what he did with Luke. He does this when he knows he has the upper hand.

Spoiler

At the risk of looking at this too deeply, there’s an implied compare/contrast going on here with Reva and Anakin (and the dark side in general). 

Reva is consumed by hatred and a desire for revenge.  It clouds her judgement and gets the better of her at the worst moments.  And it’s not even that she can’t lay down plans for the future, as her entire gambit to get close to Vader is a long term plan, but it’s that her desire for revenge, among other things, is giving her some VERY big blind spots.

So it’s not so much she is “stupid” as blinded.  She can’t really ally with Kenobi thanks to (not so) lingering disappointment/anger over Obi Wan’s protégé being the one to turn traitor and try to kill her when she was young.  At most she can clumsily try to use him in an improvised gambit that really don’t work out.  And since she wasn’t taking on Vader when she “planned” she didn’t strike at the most optimal moment with a clear head for tactics/planned ahead of time strike.

On some ways, Reva is the classic of example of the dog who finally caught the car, as it really didn’t go well for her.  At. All.

And I do think their is an implicit analogy here between Reva and Anakin.  Vader outplayed Reva in much the same way Obi-Wan outplayed Anakin (both in the current story and in the flashbacks).  They both used the impulse nature and desire to win against their opponents.

So the contrast would be that for all that Vader did to show that he is much better at the game than he once was (by thoroughly outgambitting Reva) and that Reva still had a looooot to learn, he still suffers from the same character flaws as he did when he was younger/Anakin (by getting completely outplayed by Kenobi).

• Like 2

Spoiler

Do people not die when they're stabbed through the chest with a lightsaber anymore?  That makes 2 now in the same episode in the same show.  I dunno seems like a cop out...do Reva and the Grand Inquisitor have force healing powers like Rey in TROS?  Poor Qui-Gon must've missed that day at Jedi school.

Also, if Reva has been secretly good this whole time and wanted to kill Vader for killing the Jedi, why is she an unhinged bloodthirsty maniac that goes out of her way to murder civilians and cut off their limbs for show?  You could even argue thats worse than what Anakin did because at least the Jedi were military targets and an immediate threat to the birth of the empire.  Not a sympathetic character at all if thats what they're going for now.

Edited by Ozymandias