CJohn

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Disney+

7.3/10 finale. Liked darth/obi and some small stints with obi and leia .the rest well...

Reeva subplot was rushed and felt so tucked on. She didn't need to be in this episode . Her story should have stopped the previous episode.

Weird teleportation of characters and some quick cuts in the episodes that were irritating at times.

Lots of things were very convenient just like in episode 4.

Overall  some good performances from obi wan and darth ,the whole show was enjoyable  but really uneven in alot of parts , script was lazy and the direction was sub par. Kinda disappointed in deborah after giving us some good mando episodes.

For the love of God disney let the skywalkers go. Stop shrinking the universe .

Lots of neat ideas to handle but the show is reduced to fan service.

Mando S1     8/10
Mando  S2    7.5/10

Visions.         7.5/10
Obi wan.        7.3/10
Boba fett.      6/10

Edited by Liiviig 1998

I'll be so interested if I rewatch this all in one go or at least not needing to wait a week for instalments. 

I enjoyed the show but it's probably the most frustrating thing I've watched in the Disney Star Wars era cause it could (and with the rich history and potential maybe should have) been amazing. 

• Like 2

So now we have a 67% certified fresh TV show and a 74% non-certified fresh movie on RT?

Jesus they really need to sort this shit out, it's becoming a bit of a farce. Is it the %, or is it the top critics %? What is it that makes a certified fresh vs not certified?

Edited by Daxtreme

2 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

So now we have a 67% certified fresh TV show and a 74% non-certified fresh movie on RT?

Jesus they really need to sort this shit out, it's becoming a bit of a farce. Is it the %, or is it the top critics %? What is it that makes a certified fresh vs not certified?

RT used to count the first episode "reviews" as show reviews which meant that Obi-Wan was in the 80s, hence certified fresh. Seems that they've switched their policy to only count full season reviews, so now it has dropped to 67%, but I guess they didn't bother to remove the certified fresh tag. 

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

They were extra "shady" with Dr Strange for some reason, it's like they never wanted to give it the certified fresh after a huge amount of reviews and then they were really paying attention to any moment it dropped from 75 to take it.

4 hours ago, Juan Caballo said:

I thought The Bad Batch was amazing. 

I like the bad batch as well but some people think it's "repetitive and has too much filler", I guess people are not used to long series anymore.

• Like 1

You will be in awe, if you are not older than Leia is in the show.

There were a couple decent moments there at the end but all and all a very underwhelming affair. Quite pedestrian in execution and cheap looking. Could have been so much more in the hands of a capable filmmaker. That RT score is a joke, critics shouldn't reward mediocrity.

Folks are talking about the woes of Netflix but when is Disney + starting to bleed subscribers, i wonder? Their content is much worse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elessar said:

You will be in awe, if you are not older than Leia is in the show.

There were a couple decent moments there at the end but all and all a very underwhelming affair. Quite pedestrian in execution and cheap looking. Could have been so much more in the hands of a capable filmmaker. That RT score is a joke, critics shouldn't reward mediocrity.

Folks are talking about the woes of Netflix but when is Disney + starting to bleed subscribers, i wonder? Their content is much worse.

If a critic likes something, he likes something. He cannot rate it negatively just because you don't like it. Nor does the RT-rating have anything to do with whether something is mediocre or not. You can can have 90% of the people like something more than they dislike it, without any of them coming close to loving it. It would still result in a 90% at RT. "Rewarding" the show has nothing to do with that.

Beyond that, I agree that the show could have been quite a bit better

4 hours ago, George Parr said:

If a critic likes something, he likes something. He cannot rate it negatively just because you don't like it. Nor does the RT-rating have anything to do with whether something is mediocre or not. You can can have 90% of the people like something more than they dislike it, without any of them coming close to loving it. It would still result in a 90% at RT. "Rewarding" the show has nothing to do with that.

I know, i know.

No average rating on RT for it, though, strangely.

On 6/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Fox20 said:

They were extra "shady" with Dr Strange for some reason, it's like they never wanted to give it the certified fresh after a huge amount of reviews and then they were really paying attention to any moment it dropped from 75 to take it.

I like the bad batch as well but some people think it's "repetitive and has too much filler", I guess people are not used to long series anymore.

I wish more of the Disney+ series were longer and more episodic honestly. 

Finished this last night (my TV watching has become backed up between all the miniseries contenders for the Emmys I'm watching right now).

This was definitely an improvement over The Book of Boba Fett and certainly provided a nostalgic rush seeing McGregor and Christensen back in these roles (and a certified YES! to the Neeson cameo) but it was clearly limited by just how creative it could be due to the fact the events surrounding it are already established so there's little to no suspense. But when it worked, it really worked, so there's that. 

• Like 2

Quite interesting comments by Stuart Beattie about his draft for the originally planned Obi-Wan movie:

https://thedirect.com/article/obi-wan-kenobi-reva-killed-script-exclusive

I think the bits he's talking about sound better than the similar parts we've actually got. Though there's obviously a difference between what has been written and how it would be executed.

Spoiler

Most of them concern Reva, who already existed for the movie-version:

- Reva did not know that Anakin was Vader

- she believed that the Jedi were actually trying a coup, which is why she considers them to be the villains and wants to help hunt them down

- it was Obi-Wan who made her find out that Anakin was Vader (the scene with the younglings still exists in the same way), and it is this realization that makes her help Obi-Wan

- she tells Vader that she killed Obi-Wan, which in turn makes Vader kill her. This also ends Vader's obsession with Obi-Wan, as he now thinks that he is actually dead

- there were no other inqusitors in the story

- Reva existed because Obi-Wan could obviously neither kill nor save Anakin in this story. Him saving Reva (from the darkside, not from death) was supposed to be the positive note in contrast the one concerning Vader

• Like 1