CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

3 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I really don't believe in the business of remaking classic films like the Shining.  There's few cases where it's worked out really well, like True Grit.

I suspect most folks would agree with you, but not necessarily the folks in charge of writing the checks in Hollywood.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

the original true grit isn't that good, really.

i'd make an argument for original the thing and the carpenter remake both being great films. 

Ocean's 11 also fits, even if the old one is mostly iconic for extratextual reasons

5 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The notion of remakes just doesn't piss me off like it used to. Mellowed out over the years. There can always be room to grow/expand with fresh eyes so many years later.

The Wizard of Oz from 1939 (arguably the greatest film ever made) was itself a remake.

Ocean's Eleven is a much better film than the original. 

I'd like to see a new adaptation of Christine or an adaptation of Doctor Sleep which is The Shining sequel

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

True Grit benefited from the fact that the original is only really known for having Wayne's Oscar-winning role. There was lots of room for improvement. You don't wanna try and improve on Kubrick

i'd argue adrian lyne's lolita is better than kubrick's, which is pretty handily his worst film. i'm not enamored with either of them since they both kinda water down the novel to the point where it's pretty useless but at least Lyne's version doesn't have those awful Sellers riffs. Kubrick supposed to be the master of control but there he just lets Sellers run to the point where even Judd Apatow or Paul Feig would be like "don't you think this bit is running a little long?"

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I was thinking Di Caprio doing some unholy combination of his eyebrows-raised Nicholson impression and his crying dramatic ACTING but shit when you can have Hardy always get Hardy.

Despite his acting skills, Tom Hardy as Venom still feels like a bad fit. He needed more of a Punisher like character than Venom.

14 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Remake Maximum Overdrive! That one could actually work with today's modern technology.

13 minutes ago, 75livesinDerry said:

As long as they keep the Green Goblin truck, I'm all for it :)  

You know what made Maximum Overdrive?  Cocaine, lots and lots of cocaine

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I was thinking Di Caprio doing some unholy combination of his eyebrows-raised Nicholson impression and his crying dramatic ACTING but shit when you can have Hardy always get Hardy.

yes I did think Di Caprio too, but felt he would be a bit too...sophisticated (for the lack of a better word)...for the role. Hardy can get down and dirty and be game for it.

(lLeo goes crazy and negative in wolf of wall street but there too he is a billionaire opposed to a middle-class guy in a small town. and in revanant he is the good guy despite being raw and gritty.)