WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

44 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm not wrong.  You obviously don't know who @Rth TIFF is.  

No, I absolutely know who RTH is.  I've been around the forums since they were originally located at boxofficemojo.  What I was saying is that a movie that does 300m domestic and 100m OS is going to be more profitable than a movie doing 100m domestic and 300m OS (everything else remaining equal) under most circumstances.  Obviously this depends can be false with a very weak exchange rate on the dollar and some other factor, but those are more extreme cases.

War for the Planet of the Apes     20th Century Fox    $349,237  -23%       $145,861,747

0.5m more will give it a 2.60x multiplier (Dawn was 2.87x and Rise 3.26x).

China is proving to be a great market. $110m+ is practically locked while $115m is likely. Has a shot at $120m too. With $115-120m from China and $8-9m from Japan (Dawn did only $12m from Japan) should get to 500m ww.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, a2knet said:

7.5 it is.

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Days
2017/09/15 3 $3,091,084   2,368 $1,305   $3,091,084 1
2017/09/16 - $2,742,085 -11% 2,368 $1,158   $5,833,169 2
2017/09/17 - $1,701,504 -38% 2,368 $719   $7,534,673 3

An almost identical opening to 2009's The Box (another weird movie sold as a horror flick starring an A-list actress that also got an F Cinemascore grade). A similar multiplier puts its total at a few thousand less than $15M.

• Like 3

Usually blockbusters as well reviewed as Apes do better. 500mil is fine but a big drop from the last film. That kind of drop doesn't matter for Fast and Furious because over a billion is over a billion but it does for Apes.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

An almost identical opening to 2009's The Box (another weird movie sold as a horror flick starring an A-list actress that also got an F Cinemascore grade). A similar multiplier puts its total at a few thousand less than $15M.

though that one had november legs : opened the weekend before thanksgiving and had good first mon-thu. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=box09.htm

so won't be surprised if mother! falls below it. however, the box (2009) lost theaters in the 3rd weekend by 84%, so if mother! can evade that then it has a shot at 2.0x multiplier.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Usually blockbusters as well reviewed as Apes do better. 500mil is fine but a big drop from the last film. That kind of drop doesn't matter for Fast and Furious because over a billion is over a billion but it does for Apes.

Yes. Though if the reports are true they reduced the budget by 25m odd so at least that's good. 150m prod budget and 500 ww is 3.3x which is great. Dawn was buoyed by less competition, was clearly a few notches up in scale and scope compared to it's predecessor, and had the curiosity factor. War just couldn't sell itself in the end as anything but Dawn Redux imo.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Yes. Though if the reports are true they reduced the budget by 25m odd so at least that's good. 150m prod budget and 500 ww is 3.3x which is great. Dawn was buoyed by less competition, was clearly a few notches up in scale and scope compared to it's predecessor, and had the curiosity factor. War just couldn't sell itself in the end as anything but Dawn Redux imo.

Well I hope they have something new to show us in the next Mission Impossible film because I think that could easily be another Jason Bourne, Star Trek Beyond and War for the Planet of the Apes at the box office.

• Like 1

The negative story of the year should be Cars 3's $20m total in China. Seriously. Smurfs 3 did $25m and DM3 did 160m. Forget landing somewhere in the middle.

Edited by a2knet

Atomic Blonde looking to end with a decent 2.8x multplier. Is very successful as such...51.4 dom, 43.9 os, 95.3 ww right now on a 30m prod budget. Can't help but feel should have done more though.

$184,715 -36% 270 $684   $51,365,430
Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

It's really fun to see how much some people here can't see huge difference between Wonder Woman and let's say Spider-Man Homecoming, like they were in the same position when they were released :)

I feel as if you are wasting far too much time and effort worrying about the evil feminists. I think you'd be happier if you just chilled out a bit

18 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Atomic Blonde looking to end with a decent 2.8x multplier. Is very successful as such...51.4 dom, 43.9 os, 95.3 ww right now on a 30m prod budget. Can't help but feel should have done more though.

$184,715 -36% 270 $684   $51,365,430

It did okay. The problem isn't the box office, the problem is the film just didn't leave an impact. John Wick left an impact, that's why it got a sequel.

• Like 1

I don't know, I'm as far right conservative as they come, and imo, WW was a success in spite of the always annoying SJW's.  

The movie wasn't political at all (closest thing was her PC group of friends that checked every diversity box) and didn't push the feminism angle as hard as something like ABC's TV show Agent Carter did.  They made that main character so unlikable that audiences gave up on the show.

15 hours ago, MinaTakla said:

Indeed. Early on @Jamessaid it best: we are no longer in an age when a film is made just for domestic audience, nor should a domestic box office performance of any film be the only thing that matters. It's all about worldwide. DM3, Fast 8 and BATB are perfect examples of films that are the year's biggest hits because their worldwide gross was so strong (1B+) thanks to a very solid to spectacular OS gross that propelled them to these leading positions on the year's leaderboard. Even IT is an example of this too. It will cross 700m because it caught on with international and domestic audiences alike.

Not to mention DM3 is still a bad example. It mad three times it's budget from domestic alone. Movies like Big Hero 6 or Wreck it Ralph didn't come close to doing that 

• Like 1