aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

4 hours ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Ehhh.... some of us did.

Yup...we did. It's so easy nowadays to smell a flop or disappointment. I can't believe people thought BR 2049 was going to be some big hit. An R rated 200M sci-fi sequel to a 20+ year old BOMB with a very niche/vocal fan is not a recipe for success no matter how good the reviews. Infact, if this was a critical flop...imagine how bad it would have done!! Valerian like result would have been on the cards.

That's why I say that it is risky to do expensive sequels of cult films that originally bombed in theatres. Not worth it. Only for fans...rest do not care. I like Villineu's style but the general audience does not. Frankly, guy should sign up BOND film and get a big blockbuster under his belt before he does Dune...because that film has bomb written all over it not matter how good the critical reception. Audience won't care about that. 

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I'm regurgitating a little bit of what deadlines and said here in their article but when this movie came out my question was always why is going to be a big hit? The original came out in 1982 and was pretty much a bomb. Now the sequel comes out this year and who is the sequel aimed at? It's a 3-hour movie or three and a half hour movie and people under the age of 40 aren't really going to know much about the film. The Trailer also really didn't give much of a hint in terms of what the story was about. It had amazing visuals and it had Harrison Ford and that's it....you don't really know what the films about. So the deadline article definitely brings up a lot of good points as to why this film really is struggling to find a huge audience.

As far as young people knowing about Blade Runner, I thought it was commonplace in English classrooms?

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It really doesn't. We're more likely to have no $20M+ openers between now and Thor than a Happy Death Day breakout.

How so? Blade Runner is looking to finish between $80m-$90m, if Happy Death Day receives good reviews, it may have a shot at $100m.

I love how you guys keep underestimating Horror movies after a massive year for the genre.

• Like 1

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

How so? Blade Runner is looking to finish between $80m-$90m, if Happy Death Day receives good reviews, it may have a shot at $100m.

I love how you guys keep underestimating Horror movies after a massive year for the genre.

It feels like Universal dropped the ball with Happy Death Day's marketing campaign. Nowhere nearly as effective as it was for either Split or Get Out. We'll see how the reviews turn out.

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Yup...we did. It's so easy nowadays to smell a flop or disappointment. I can't believe people thought BR 2049 was going to be some big hit. An R rated 200M sci-fi sequel to a 20+ year old BOMB with a very niche/vocal fan is not a recipe for success no matter how good the reviews. Infact, if this was a critical flop...imagine how bad it would have done!! Valerian like result would have been on the cards.

That's why I say that it is risky to do expensive sequels of cult films that originally bombed in theatres. Not worth it. Only for fans...rest do not care. I like Villineu's style but the general audience does not. Frankly, guy should sign up BOND film and get a big blockbuster under his belt before he does Dune...because that film has bomb written all over it not matter how good the critical reception. Audience won't care about that. 

You're such a know it all whenever a film bombs and always take joy in most things bombing for some odd reason.  I see you write "bombs away" all the time on some film you don't think will do well.  why do you want every film to lose money?  this is a serious question I'm legitimately intrigued.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It feels like Universal dropped the ball with Happy Death Day's marketing campaign. Nowhere nearly as effective as it was for either Split or Get Out. We'll see how the reviews turn out.

They're focusing on social media marketing like those two, but I agree. Blumhouse should've premiered it at Fright Fest to build buzz and maybe good WOM.

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Because Blade Runner 2049 is a film for the ages and having it beat by a cliche horror movie is a mildly depressing thought

It’s a lot more sad see these generic and forgettable MCU movies dominating the market, and I don’t see you guys complaining about it. At least Happy Death Day is an original movie, and looks fresh, this alone put it above the safe crap that MCU is putting out and out grossing almost every single movie every year. 

• Like 5

Just now, Mockingjay Raphael said:

It’s a lot more sad see these generic and forgettable MCU movies dominating the market, and I don’t see you guys complaining about it. At least Happy Death Day is an original movie, and looks fresh, this alone put it above the safe crap that MCU is putting out and out grossing almost every single movie every year. 

lmao how is reusing the plot of Groundhog Day in a horror movie original?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

BLADE RUNNER Under EMOJI MOVIE?

Tomato Law anyone?

b0b4q_s-200x150.gif

Holy shit! That piece of dogshit is at 85M ?! That means Blade Runner could really miss it???

Spoiler

That is why you guys deserve Trump :sadben:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Happy Death Day is literally a PG-13 slasher flick mixed with Groundhog Day.  Talk about two generic concepts.  It looks fun but Blade Runner deserves far more than that.

Also when was this about MCU movies?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Because Blade Runner 2049 is a film for the ages and having it beat by a cliche horror movie is a mildly depressing thought

Blade runner 2049 ow is really sad, I agree. But I didn't get why HDD is a cliche horror movie. How many horror movies with this premisse you've seen?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

They're focusing on social media marketing like those two, but I agree. Blumhouse should've premiered it at Fright Fest to build buzz and maybe good WOM.

They showed it at Fantastic Fest, but there’s an embargo. I’m not expecting more than mediocre reviews, although, anything above Krampus is good.

If it is indeed a crowd pleaser, then reviews won’t matter a lot, look at how good Flatliners is holding despite the awful reviews, teens are going to eat it up. 

13 minutes ago, lab276 said:

As far as young people knowing about Blade Runner, I thought it was commonplace in English classrooms?

We watched the Final Cut in my high school film class, but actual English classes? I don't think so.

10 minutes ago, lab276 said:

Does anyone know how well Blade Runner did on home video?

The VHS did well enough to cause it to be one of the first movies to be released on DVD.