Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

22 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Mass Effect does lend itself well to a well-budgeted TV series because you could have a nice mix of the main mythology story arc along with missions of the week and also recurring secondary plots.

I may have once when I had a lot of free time on my hands sketched out the first four seasons o Mass Effect show :ph34r:

Who dies in Virmire and in the Collectors ship? Who do you bang(, okay)? What gender and allignment is your Shepard? Would you work in the more relevant side quests' plots into the show? What is your favorite store on the Citadel?

SO MANY QUESTIONS :ph34r:

23 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To any of my fellow Mass Effect fans out here, I read a Collider article that argued that it would be a better TV show than movie; and honestly, I have to agree, as ME is valued on worldbuilding + long term character investment, and I think it would be easier to pack all those 70 hours of ME goodness into a TV show rather than a movie (and for the record, I'm just talking about the OT.... haven't tried Andromeda yet but I'm pretending it doesn't exist). It would look cheaper than a big budget Hollywood adaptation, but it would be more faithful to the quality of the games.

What do you guys think, movie or show? :ph34r:

Love a show. Maybe they'll fix the ending.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Would you work in the more relevant side quests' plots into the show? What is your favorite store on the Citadel?

You could easily work in major sidequests as episode foci in a show. For example you could beef up appearances of Cerberus/the Terminus Systems to foreshadow their importance to the second main plot arc.

The answer is all stores.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Who dies in Virmire and in the Collectors ship? Who do you bang(, okay)? What gender and allignment is your Shepard? Would you work in the more relevant side quests' plots into the show? What is your favorite store on the Citadel?

Fem Shep.

Played by Jennifer Hale if at all possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

You could easily work in major sidequests as episode foci in a show. For example you could beef up appearances of Cerberus/the Terminus Systems to foreshadow their importance to the second main plot arc.

The answer is all stores.

I absolutely agree with your amping up of Cerberus' importance before the big twist at the beggining of Mass Effect 2. Cerberus barely had any presence in ME1, which made it so bizarre that ME2 treated the twist as if Luke Skywalker was teaming up with Emperor Palpatine. I loved the game, my favorite of the trilogy, but that plot device wasn't all that well earned, I admit. I think a second season of the show - one after ME1, where the Reaper invasion wasn't as imminent - featuring a lot of original content + side quests building to Cerberus as serious baddies would tremendously help a third season that starts with the opening of ME2.

My worry however (pfft, I say worry as if this is actually happening, but whatever, let's live in our fantasy world for a minute here) is that the side quests feel like too much of a detachment from the Reapers story. Particularly, this is more directed towards the Loyalty missions from ME2. How would those stories - those great individual stories, at that - be told in a way that doesn't stop the main story of the show dead and is too illogical and impractical to the sense of emergency of attacking the Collectors before they take over the galaxy and lead the way for the Reapers to annihilate everyone? How would we transition from being all like WE HAVE TO STOP THE COLLECTOR to Jacob having daddy issues and shit like that? Some of them could obviously be worked into the plot seamlessly (i.e. Jack's origin story mission), but still.

That's the answer of a true fan. :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

Love a show. Maybe they'll fix the ending.

Oh, a fixing of the ending is obligatory for any kind of mass (no pun intended) media adaptation of the games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ck5111 said:

The youtube sub culture is really cringe-worthy. They carved out an entire world for themselves that appeals to the lowest common denominator. More troubling is that there are people who actually follow "youtube Drama"!

why did you get on your two alts to like your own post?

51 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I absolutely agree with your amping up of Cerberus' importance before the big twist at the beggining of Mass Effect 2. Cerberus barely had any presence in ME1, which made it so bizarre that ME2 treated the twist as if Luke Skywalker was teaming up with Emperor Palpatine. I loved the game, my favorite of the trilogy, but that plot device wasn't all that well earned, I admit. I think a second season of the show - one after ME1, where the Reaper invasion wasn't as imminent - featuring a lot of original content + side quests building to Cerberus as serious baddies would tremendously help a third season that starts with the opening of ME2.

My worry however (pfft, I say worry as if this is actually happening, but whatever, let's live in our fantasy world for a minute here) is that the side quests feel like too much of a detachment from the Reapers story. Particularly, this is more directed towards the Loyalty missions from ME2. How would those stories - those great individual stories, at that - be told in a way that doesn't stop the main story of the show dead and is too illogical and impractical to the sense of emergency of attacking the Collectors before they take over the galaxy and lead the way for the Reapers to annihilate everyone? How would we transition from being all like WE HAVE TO STOP THE COLLECTOR to Jacob having daddy issues and shit like that? Some of them could obviously be worked into the plot seamlessly (i.e. Jack's origin story mission), but still.

A problem with the series is that there isn't much sense of how much time passes between ME2 and ME3. Weeks? Months?

One thing the show can do is tinker with the chronology and shift stuff around, as well as beef up certain big plot arcs into their own thing. 

I did find my Post-It notes with my scribblings buried in a folder though. :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

A problem with the series is that there isn't much sense of how much time passes between ME2 and ME3. Weeks? Months?

One thing the show can do is tinker with the chronology and shift stuff around, as well as beef up certain big plot arcs into their own thing. 

I did find my Post-It notes with my scribblings buried in a folder though. :ph34r:

It also could do better at servicing characters from previous games outside completely sidelining them.