Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Warner Bros. Film Marketing & PR Goes Through Reorganization

https://deadline.com/2018/10/warner-bros-film-marketing-pr-goes-through-reorganization-1202489112/

Unlike recent cuts at Sony and slate share sell-offs, which appear as though that the major studio is being primed for a merger, that’s not the case here with Warners and the latest AT&T merger. Since August Warners has had a great run with four back-to-back $100M-plus hits including The Meg, Crazy Rich Asians, The Meg and A Star Is Born. Those four pics alone have amassed $1.3 billion and they have Fantastic Beasts 2, The Mule and Aquaman ahead during the holiday corridor.

Apparently Warner had 2 hits called "The Meg"  this year :hahaha:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyK said:

Warner Bros. Film Marketing & PR Goes Through Reorganization

https://deadline.com/2018/10/warner-bros-film-marketing-pr-goes-through-reorganization-1202489112/

Apparently Warner had 2 hits called "The Meg"  this year :hahaha:

well a megalodon is that big that it can be counted twice 😛 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Never subscribed, but this is disappointing, although it'll probably be absorbed in WarnerMedia's new subscription service.

Maybe, but it'll be a surprise if the entire catalogue is ported over.  Sure, the well-known indie/old stuff will make it.  But the more obscure things that cinephiles were lauding the service for?  Perhaps not.

This is the downside to the all-you-can-eat buffet of streaming.  Sure, you get access to far more than one could reasonably buy on their own. even if they had a lot of disposable income.  But one is always, and forever, at the whims and mercies of content being removed or the service getting shut down entirely.

It's the main reason I think physical media, or at least offline storage, is a must as a way to keep a healthy balance.  That is, have the all-you-can-eat buffet as an option along side the keep-it-forever, if you pay for it model.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

This new Sabrina the Teenage Witch is good so far. Very strange choice to blur the edge of the screen in some shots, they could probably get rid of it. The cat also doesn’t talk... 

I'm considering checking it out but it's also a spin-off of Riverdale which I only watched the pilot of and have zero motivation to watch more of. Think my next series to binge will be Homecoming which lands next week.

14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm considering checking it out but it's also a spin-off of Riverdale which I only watched the pilot of and have zero motivation to watch more of. Think my next series to binge will be Homecoming which lands next week.

Although they are most likely in the same Universe you really can’t tell the shows are related at all. It’s not like a Marvel/DC thing, it feels like it was done by completely different people. The only reference I’ve seen is Archie popping up in the opening credits.

Also Netflix just cancelled another show I had been meaning to catch (American Vandal after two seasons). Ted Sarandos clearly has no patience for anything that's not "buzzy"/reaping the rewards. Streaming networks and specialty movies at the box office is beginning to align where you really need to have the buzz or else you're screwed.

Edited by filmlover

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also Netflix just cancelled another show I had been meaning to catch (American Vandal after two seasons). Ted Sarandos clearly has no patience for anything that's not "buzzy"/reaping the rewards. Streaming networks and specialty movies at the box office is beginning to align where you really need to have the buzz or else you're screwed.

Ain’t about buzz no more. 

American Vandal's cancellation comes as Netflix is starting to whittle down its scripted originals from outside studios, recently axing All About the Washingtons, Iron Fist and Luke Cage, all of which hailed from ABC Studios.

They want to own the shit they make since outside studios and producers are merging and ramping up their own streaming services. If a show is costing them a bit too much or causing them a bit too much grief than it’s more likely to get cut than something Netflix own themselves. Look at how ABC cut Fox’s Last Man Standing even though it was popular, Luke Cage was renewed and then axed because of production issues I’m guessing weren’t worth Netflix’s time or money. All the other major networks are doing the same thing.

Netflix have a been going around and poaching talent like Ryan Murphy, Kenya Barriss, and Shonda Rhimes knowing this day would come. WB had to fork over $300m to Greg Berlanti to prevent him from moving.

Its a damn shame about Vandal. Personally I think it’s one of the best “teen” shows ever made. The teenagers actually felt like teenagers rather than the Dawson Creek archetypes we see way to often.