Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

23 hours ago, Porthos said:

Speaking of which,

Example #4,189,027 of How Social Media is Irrevocably Broken:

FLaadOiX0AI9Q9-?format=jpg&name=small FLaadOgXMAEcRnj?format=jpg&name=medium

And it's not just this.  It's far too often a pattern that the initial attention grabbing blast goes viral far and wide, but the follow up gets a minimal fraction of the engagement.

Now Jake Sullivan's tweet might have gotten it's own engagement, but this is still a clear cut example about how bad social media is set up when it comes to spreading information. And in this case, this is very much an example of "the fault is not in the stars, but in ourselves".

lmao how is that guy not fired

FLadWXQWQAUS4tW?format=jpg&name=medium

On 2/12/2022 at 6:37 PM, Porthos said:

I wouldn't say that (to either comment).  I was more using your post for a springboard for a complaint that I was already coming here to make about how viral news spreads, but follow ups to the news rarely reach as far.

As for the specifics regarding Russia and Ukraine?  Who the hell knows. Ton of saber rattling from Russia to be sure.  Whether they're actually seriously intending on invading Ukraine or are playing a game of something close to chicken where they try to extract as much leverage/concessions out of Ukraine I don't know.  And I doubt many folks in the West know for sure either.

(my second reason for posting that was admittedly to pump the brakes a bit on the idea that a Russia/Ukraine conflict is happening Real Soon Now — it very well might, we just can't say for sure yet)

Thing is the NATO predictions are based on what they can tell about the Russian Military being read to go.  They can't factor in Putin's mental processes.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Porthos said:

Speaking of which,

Example #4,189,027 of How Social Media is Irrevocably Broken:

FLaadOiX0AI9Q9-?format=jpg&name=small FLaadOgXMAEcRnj?format=jpg&name=medium

And it's not just this.  It's far too often a pattern that the initial attention grabbing blast goes viral far and wide, but the follow up gets a minimal fraction of the engagement.

Now Jake Sullivan's tweet might have gotten it's own engagement, but this is still a clear cut example about how bad social media is set up when it comes to spreading information. And in this case, this is very much an example of "the fault is not in the stars, but in ourselves".

That why I get confused when politicians only go after Facebook.

Twitter and Tik Tok seems full of misinformation as well. 

ANd we have the obligatory Olympic scandal.

A Russian Athelete caught cheating using an illegal drug. I am shocked..SHOCKED...to hear that...

ANyway 15 is too young to be competing in the Olympics. You just are not equipped to handle the pressure at that age. Should be an minimum of 18 years.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, AJG said:

You remember when CNN told the world Kim Jong Un was dead of COVID last year and shrugged it off like it was nothing?

Theres nothing more American than war propaganda.  If you lie or constantly make "mistakes" in service of war or escalation, you're more likely to get a promotion than fired.  emot-fsmug.gif

19 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Theres nothing more American than war propaganda.  If you lie or constantly make "mistakes" in service of war or escalation, you're more likely to get a promotion than fired.  emot-fsmug.gif

Take it to politics, guy, take it to the politics section.

48 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Take it to politics, guy, take it to the politics section.

Dude this is the Classic Conversation Thread. This means any conversations here can happen, so long as there aren't any rules broken or things get too toxic. Nobody's broken any rules and nothing toxic has happened so far. Sorry, but I don't think we need to move this conversation anywhere.

14 minutes ago, Eric Drake said:

Dude this is the Classic Conversation Thread. This means any conversations here can happen, so long as there aren't any rules broken or things get too toxic. Nobody's broken any rules and nothing toxic has happened so far. Sorry, but I don't think we need to move this conversation anywhere.

Ok, then I can criticise Ozyamandias for falling for the Putin Propganda line?

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

32 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Ukraine should just join Nato. If Hitler number 2 has a problem with it, thats down to him. You can't force countries to do things they dont want to do

It's not that simple. Joining NATO means troops at the border of Russia.

Take for example, Iran and nuclear bomb. you could say you can't force countries to do what they don't want to do, but US and Israel doesn't want Iran to have the nuclear bomb

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

It's not that simple. Joining NATO means troops at the border of Russia.

Take for example, Iran and nuclear bomb. you could say you can't force countries to do what they don't want to do, but US and Israel doesn't want Iran to have the nuclear bomb

Sure it is. Ukraine dont have to be armed by Nato to join Nato. Ukraine probably wouldnt have wanted to join Nato had Russia stopped playing silly bollocks and messing around in the black sea. Now they feel they need an alliance and its within every European countries right to decide whether they can join Nato, so Russia really shouldn't have a say. 

If they dont want guns pointing at them, then stop pointing them at Ukraine. If your neighbour knocks on your door and asks for help because their partner is being abusive, will you let her in or tell her you dont want any involvement?

• Like 1