Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, AJG said:

A singular man having the ability pay $40bn for just one website seems so strange to me

He won't buy Twitter because literally everything he does is for show. This proposal is just another part of the Elon PR show which people will forget about in a week.

I won't be surprised if he actually sells his stake at the higher price right now as well.

• Like 2

Twitter seems to be getting a lot of attention which is a good thing as it gets a pass even though its has a very negative impact on society. 

So even though this may be PR but seems a lot of powerful forces are going after Twitter now which is good. 

I did sort of see this that Musk will try to take over Twitter or try to change it out of personal spite lol

Edited by Torontofan

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Vermin like Max Boot seem to be the most upset about this, so maybe a net positive here.

"for Democracy to survive we need more moderation then less'

Its rather obvious these people 'defending democracy' are more looking to create a technocracy under the banner of democracy

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

This proposal is just another part of the Elon PR show which people will forget about in a week.

That's what people said about Trump back in 2015 as well, and look how that turned out.

Never underestimate how thin-skinned/vindictive some ultra-rich folk are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

Twitter will slowly become a bot infested toxic waste dump for old folks like Facebook. The young people will migrate to IG or TikTok and that’s that. 

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

"for Democracy to survive we need more moderation then less'

Its rather obvious these people 'defending democracy' are more looking to create a technocracy under the banner of democracy

I don't know what Elon Musk's designs for twitter would exactly be, but the mere fact that its got people like Max Boot so spooked so quickly is kinda telling.  I think in Boot's mind, he fears Elon Musk buying out twitter would "ruin" the platform in a similar way Donald Trump ruined the Republican Party for him and his ilk back in 2015...and I'm not talking about the racism or incitement of violence.

Before 2015, the Republican Party and Fox News were the safe spaces for the Max Boots and Bill Kristols of the world because they were reliable microphones for endless military spending, military posturing/sabre rattling, and new wars around the world under the guise of creating and preserving democracy, freedom, etc. whereas the Democrats were more restrained, skeptical, and cautious of that(at least publicly).  When Trump came along and successfully broke that orthodoxy with rank and file Republicans, they found that to be unacceptable along with Trump's unprofessional nature and clownish antics which embarrassed them.  Recognizing that the Republican Party and Tucker Carlson's Fox News were no longer viable homes for them long term, pretty much all the top brass Bush era neocon thinkers and pundits jumped ship and with the help of some rebranding, very successfully infiltrated many other media outlets and the Democrat Party itself.  Now they are as if not more mainstream they were back in early 2000s, only under a different banner.

In today's modern world, influential platforms like twitter are quite literally the new town square and whoever is in charge of it is very effective at promoting and controlling whatever narratives they want through what is and is not allowed to trend and what is censored.  As of right now, twitter is controlled by ideologues that Boot types favor.  These people know they're not that popular without their mechanisms to control and disseminate information.  There is nothing more threatening to them than the possible loss of their power to intimidate, silence, and deplatform adversaries and that in of itself is a pretty good indication they don't have much confidence in the beliefs they want to foist on everyone.

I probably went off on a tangent here, but I hate guys like David Frum, Max Boot, and Bill Kristol with a passion, they are piece of shit authoritarians and want to regulate what people can read, see, or say in the public sphere and if they could get away with it would be in favor of sending people to prison.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I don't know what Elon Musk's designs for twitter would exactly be, but the mere fact that its got people like Max Boot so spooked so quickly is kinda telling.  I think in Boot's mind, he fears Elon Musk buying out twitter would "ruin" the platform in a similar way Donald Trump ruined the Republican Party for him and his ilk back in 2015...and I'm not talking about the racism or incitement of violence.

Before 2015, the Republican Party and Fox News were the safe spaces for the Max Boots and Bill Kristols of the world because they were reliable microphones for endless military spending, military posturing/sabre rattling, and new wars around the world under the guise of creating and preserving democracy, freedom, etc. whereas the Democrats were more restrained, skeptical, and cautious of that(at least publicly).  When Trump came along and successfully broke that orthodoxy with rank and file Republicans, they found that to be unacceptable along with Trump's unprofessional nature and clownish antics which embarrassed them.  Recognizing that the Republican Party and Tucker Carlson's Fox News were no longer viable homes for them long term, pretty much all the top brass Bush era neocon thinkers and pundits jumped ship and with the help of some rebranding, very successfully infiltrated many other media outlets and the Democrat Party itself.  Now they are as if not more mainstream they were back in early 2000s, only under a different banner.

In today's modern world, influential platforms like twitter are quite literally the new town square and whoever is in charge of it is very effective at promoting and controlling whatever narratives they want through what is and is not allowed to trend and what is censored.  As of right now, twitter is controlled by ideologues that Boot types favor.  These people know they're not that popular without their mechanisms to control and disseminate information.  There is nothing more threatening to them than the possible loss of their power to intimidate, silence, and deplatform adversaries and that in of itself is a pretty good indication they don't have much confidence in the beliefs they want to foist on everyone.

I probably went off on a tangent here, but I hate guys like David Frum, Max Boot, and Bill Kristol with a passion, they are piece of shit authoritarians and want to regulate what people can read, see, or say in the public sphere and if they could get away with it would be in favor of sending people to prison.

you say this like Musk isn't down with all that

remember when he tried painting that guy who rescued the kids in the cave as a pedo because he didn't like Elon's submarine?

Edited by RobrtmanAStarWarsReference

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Twitter will slowly become a bot infested toxic waste dump for old folks like Facebook. The young people will migrate to IG or TikTok and that’s that. 

For the best 

journalists can get off twitter and do some actual journalism then

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

He won't buy Twitter because literally everything he does is for show. This proposal is just another part of the Elon PR show which people will forget about in a week.

I won't be surprised if he actually sells his stake at the higher price right now as well.

Yeah, I suspect this is just Musk being a media whore again.

He is like a ten year old kid, he has got to be the center of attention.

Look, I love what he is doing with Space X, bur frankly, get away from that and the Tesla, I get the feeling he is clueless.