Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Not a great year for Netflix either. Mentioned in the other thread that this is looking to be the first year in a while that all the Best Picture nominees are likely to be theatrical exclusives first, which is a bit of a "take that" to those claiming movie theaters are dead (and feeding into the notion that The Netflix Era is beginning to wind down).

Did CODA’s Oscar Win even benefit CODA or Apple? I don’t believe it ever appeared on Nielsen even after the Oscar win. If there’s a slow down on Netflix’s big FYC spending and campaigning one could argue that CODA is partly responsible.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AJG said:

Did CODA’s Oscar Win even benefit CODA or Apple? I don’t believe it ever appeared on Nielsen even after the Oscar win. If there’s a slow down on Netflix’s big FYC spending and campaigning one could argue that CODA is partly responsible.

Maybe, but Netflix has been working so hard at achieving Oscar glory these past five years or so only to come up short in the end (Marriage Story and The Irishman took home one award out of a total of 16 nominations combined, while The Power of the Dog went away with one win out of a dozen nominations). One can easily point to the movies themselves not having the passion necessary for wins attached to them but they've probably realized the "limited theatrical run one week/drop on streaming the next/never heard from again after that" approach doesn't work when it comes to awards and they have already stated they have no ambitions to ever become a part of the theatrical game, so I guess it's going to be more Red Notices and Gray Mans going forward.

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe, but Netflix has been working so hard at achieving Oscar glory these past five years or so only to come up short in the end (Marriage Story and The Irishman took home one award out of a total of 16 nominations combined, while The Power of the Dog went away with one win out of a dozen nominations). One can easily point to the movies themselves not having the passion necessary for wins attached to them but they've probably realized the "limited theatrical run one week/drop on streaming the next/never heard from again after that" approach doesn't work when it comes to awards and they have already stated they have no ambitions to ever become a part of the theatrical game, so I guess it's going to be more Red Notices and Gray Mans going forward.

Power of the Dog collapsing probably caused them to rethink the awards strategy. In the early part of the season, Dog looked like it would sweep before every other contender took over instead. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Power of the Dog collapsing probably caused them to rethink the awards strategy. In the early part of the season, Dog looked like it would sweep before every other contender took over instead. 

In general Best Picture winners have been leaning towards underdogs as the ceremony became closer. Only one that couldn't really be considered an underdog was Green Book since it had already won some notable awards beforehand, although it sort of became one after The Most tried to do everything in their power to take it down to no effect (wonder if they've already gotten the knives sharpened for The Greatest Beer Run Ever lol I doubt it).

Edited by filmlover

Fuck this. USCIS decided to retrogress green card dates by 2 and a half years. My green card date was literally a month away from being issued. Now I will have to wait an additional decade.

I swear if I don't see any movement by next October, I'm leaving back to India. 14 years in the US next year and still no closer to being a permanent resident. If nothing happens next year, it doesn't feel worth it sticking around on a regular renewal Visa whose requirements change with each new administration.

• Sad 7

Welp, even People Magazine is reporting it...

Guess Brady really wants to die playing football... Man, you're 45, an eighth Super Bowl ring is not worth seeing all of your kids half the time.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Apparently he was linked to Dianna Agron all the way back in May? Hopefully, it lasts longer than Irina and Kanye...

LOL, I was joking!

“They both [Bradley and Irina] haven’t gotten serious with anyone else and they are both into the idea of having a kid,” says our source.

Explaining, “It’s not Bennifer 2.0 where the other person is always in the back of their head, it’s more like, ‘why not?’ They have to deal with each other anyway since they are parents together. They are both thinking, maybe it’s time to finally really settle in.”

BRB, off to swoon at the romance of, "They're already stuck dealing with each other, so..." 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

19 hours ago, filmlover said:

While the pandemic is absolutely a major factor, the behind the scenes mismanagement of this company is honestly astounding; some of their plans for/during/after “restructuring” are … not good. They’re going to lose (close or sell) 60+ locations in US, and in the short term, don’t be surprised if your local theater starts shutting down a handful of auditoriums 

I guess that’s what happens when a bunch of investors who don’t actually understand the underlying business model are calling the shots 

• Like 1