Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

34 minutes ago, cannastop said:

https://harpers.org/archive/2024/05/the-life-and-death-of-hollywood-daniel-bessner/

This is an interesting article, though it could be said that what the writer calls the death of Hollywood is the death of a lucrative writing career.

Issue is once the govt is involved the companies become inefficient and want govt bail outs

Look at canada for example 

Which one of you was this guy on Weakest Link who could name the box office results for every weekend since 2015.

He thought 'Fedora' was a country but other than that.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Eric Duncan said:

Happy for them!

Oh wow, but they looked sweet together at the Golden Globes.

Social media will be absolutely chaotic if this news proves true (though such rumors were denied by Kris Jenner TMZ earlier this month). As it is...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 4/16/2024 at 6:12 AM, filmlover said:

Will this cause as much manufactured drama as the Tom Holland West End version has? Only time will tell!

Well, given that West Side Story was based on Romeo and Julite.....

On 4/21/2024 at 12:03 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

Came across this old bookmark... I seem to re-discover it every few years, lol.

Fond memories for some of the oldies here and a document of what happened between the death of Mojo and the beginning of BOT:

https://mojorefugees.proboards.com/

I rewatched Lawrence of Arabia last weekend, and in addition to it being a great ,great movie, it gives you some idea of why the Middle East is so fucked up today.

"There was a British Civil Servent by the name of Mr. Sykes, and a French Civil Servent by the name of Mr Picot"..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2024 at 6:42 AM, cannastop said:

https://harpers.org/archive/2024/05/the-life-and-death-of-hollywood-daniel-bessner/

This is an interesting article, though it could be said that what the writer calls the death of Hollywood is the death of a lucrative writing career.

Andif anything, massive goverment involvment would mess things up even more.

Entertainment is one area where letting the Market decide is the best, though not perfect, option.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Well, given that West Side Story was based on Romeo and Julite.....

Speaking of which, I've noticed that there's a trend this Broadway season of adapting books that were previously adapted into fairly famous movies into stage musicals. There's currently a Water for Elephants musical starring TV The Flash Grant Gustin, but there's also a musical of The Notebook with an interracial bent, yet there doesn't seem to be any particular outrage over the fact the female lead isn't a Rachel McAdams doppelganger. Just goes to show how fake the entire "outrage" over the West End R+J is cause there's no way it ever would've received such attention if Holland's participation hadn't forced the CB/online community to take notice. In which case, the laugh is truly on them.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

I rewatched Lawrence of Arabia last weekend, and in addition to it being a great ,great movie, it gives you some idea of why the Middle East is so fucked up today.

"There was a British Civil Servent by the name of Mr. Sykes, and a French Civil Servent by the name of Mr Picot"..

It was all fucked after the Byzantines fell. 

4 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Finally heard SZA's KILL BILL, and I cannot stop replaying it. Too good.

A song I wish I had written, just hits so much spots that I'd love to hit in my artistry.

SZA is amazing. I'm obsessed with her song GOOD DAYS. It's better than anything Taylor Swift has released in the last few years and TS gets all the accolades

13 hours ago, Maggie said:

SZA is amazing. I'm obsessed with her song GOOD DAYS. It's better than anything Taylor Swift has released in the last few years and TS gets all the accolades

I haven't heard their new albums. But, right off the bat, KILL BILL eats up anything else she released these last two years.

Definitely deserved SONG & RECORD OF THE YEAR. I saw a lot of reviews though, and it's shame she didn't win album. Racism!

Oh my.

Boris Kodjoe's O.J. Simpson gets the electric chair in shocking teaser for The Juice

The filmmakers say Owen Wilson turned down $12 million to star in the movie.

Published on April 24, 2024 10:03PM EDT

Less than two weeks after O.J. Simpson died from cancer, a provocative new teaser for a long-gestating movie about the controversial football star and acquitted murder suspect condemns him to the electric chair on screen.

The project in question is The Juice, a "satirical thriller" that has been in the works for nearly a decade and was formerly titled Nicole and O.J. The notorious NFL-player-turned-actor is played by Boris Kodjoe, known for his roles in projects like Brown Sugar, Soul Food, The Last Man on Earth, and Station 19.

In the brief teaser (which you can watch below), Kodjoe's Simpson is strapped to an electric chair, and as the charges course through his body, he says, "Think of the real O.J. Simpson, not this lost person." Text on the screen says, "Feel better now? You haven't seen anything yet."

The footage ends with a link to a Google Form requesting suggestions for "outrageous ideas" to include in the movie.

Boris Kodjoe as O.J. Simpson in 'The Juice'
Boris Kodjoe as O.J. Simpson in 'The Juice'. 

MOVIEFARM/ YOUTUBE

Writer-director Joshua Newton has shot about 30 minutes of the film so far, mostly consisting of flashback footage of Simpson and his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson, here played by Charlotte Kirk. The footage was filmed in Bulgaria in 2018, in recreations of the couple's Southern California homes.

However, Kirk and Kodjoe will not be portraying the film's lead characters, despite the previous title — instead, the protagonist will be attorney Douglas McCann, who represented Simpson in an unsuccessful bid to procure evidence allegedly withheld by Verizon predecessor GTE that McCann said would exonerate Simpson.

A publicist for the film told Entertainment Weekly that McCann will be played by a "fabulous" actor but declined to identify them. The publicist also backed a Hollywood Reporter article published Wednesday that said Owen Wilson was previously offered a hefty sum to play McCann.

"Owen Wilson turned down the role for $12 million, which we think he'll regret one day, because when you're going to see the whole movie completed, you'll understand this is playing a character of a guy who really existed," the publicist told EW . "This is a true story. A story which is, in many ways, mind-blowing. This s--- really happened."

A representative for Wilson didn't immediately respond to EW's request for comment.

Prior reports about the film have suggested that it will present an argument that definitively exonerates Simpson from Brown's murder. Newton told THR that Wilson ended their meeting by saying, "If you think I'm going to take the lead role in a movie about how O.J. didn't do it, you've got to be kidding me."

The film's publicist told EW that Newton "spent years researching this story, going through every single word of the court transcripts," and that the filmmaker has met with individuals involved in Simpson's murder trial — though the production won't disclose who at this point. (THR previously reported that Simpson defense attorney F. Lee Bailey praised the script as "smashing.") 

Additionally, the Daily Mail reported in 2019 that Newton turned down Simpson's offer to serve as a consultant on the project. At the time of the report, the film was aiming to release in time for the trial's 25th anniversary in 2020; now the plan is for a 2025 release, coinciding with the 30th anniversary.

Newton previously made headlines in 2022 when he sued Facebook parent company Meta for $700 million for banning posts about his Holocaust film Beautiful Blue Eyes due to its title violating the company's policies about race.

The Juice was also implicated in a tangled legal saga wherein Newton received millions of dollars for the film's budget as part of a settlement in a legal battle between executives at Warner Bros. and NBCUniversal and Kirk, whom Newton was dating at the time. 

"The footage ends with a link to a Google Form requesting suggestions for "outrageous ideas" to include in the movie."

Oh my oh my.

"Prior reports about the film have suggested that it will present an argument that definitively exonerates Simpson from Brown's murder."

Obviously the people behind this project saw all Teh Drama around Michael and haughtily said, "amateurs". j1aUlyv.gif

@BoxOfficeFangrl you have to read this article (presuming you haven't already).

(is it bad that I searched the forums to see if there was an On The Lot thread for this film? :ph34r:)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1