Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 hours ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Ordinary People and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers are two of my favorite performances from Sutherland. Both fantastic and showed what a versitile actor he was. His presense will be greatly missed.

It's crazy that he didn't get a single Oscar nomination in his career, especially considering that Ordinary People was an awards juggernaut that year.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

Oh wow. RIP.

Yeah so many great performances. He got on the map with the original Dirty Dozen where he took a pretty small role and made it one of the best things in the film.

I am not a big fan of Ordinary People..I am a devout beleiver that Raging Bull should have won the big awards and that people is just a pretty good drama, but Sutherland was excellent in it .

One of my favorites is a Clint Eastwood film called "Kelly's Heros" where he plays a demented Tank commander in World War 2, He is just drop dead funny in the role.

Edited by dudalb

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

It's crazy that he didn't get a single Oscar nomination in his career, especially considering that Ordinary People was an awards juggernaut that year.

He did get a special Oscar in 2017 goes.

He created the role of Hawkeye Pierce in the 1970 movie "Mash" which was the film that propelled him into a major name. Because of the Sucess of the T Show, people forget it was originally a huge hit movie.

From the Dirty Dozen to Hunger Games, it was an amazing career.

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

Him winning an Honorary Oscar a few years back was already mentioned but just as wild is that he never received a SAG nomination either, astounding considering how much they love veterans.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Him winning an Honorary Oscar a few years back was already mentioned but just as wild is that he never received a SAG nomination either, astounding considering how much they love veterans.

Though he had a long an sucessful career. he did have bad luck in one way; every time he was in a major role in a big  box office this, someone else got the benefits. in MASH, it was Elliot Gould as Trapper John who the publkc took a liking too and became a big star, and in Klute he co starred with Jane Fonda but it was Fonda who got the critical praise and won a Best Actress Oscar.

6 hours ago, dudalb said:

Though he had a long an sucessful career. he did have bad luck in one way; every time he was in a major role in a big  box office this, someone else got the benefits. in MASH, it was Elliot Gould as Trapper John who the publkc took a liking too and became a big star, and in Klute he co starred with Jane Fonda but it was Fonda who got the critical praise and won a Best Actress Oscar.

He actually has a final shot at an Emmy this year since he's being submitted Limited Supporting for Lawmen: Bass Reeves, though eerily enough, he has posthumous nom competition in that category with final performances from Ron Cephas Jones (Genius: MLK/X) and Treat Williams (Feud: Capote vs. the Swans) also in the mix. Given how totally barren the category is this year (RDJ, Jonathan Bailey, and Lewis Pullman are the only ones who seem guaranteed a nom), there might be some namechecking for people no longer with us when they have 7 spots they'll need to fill, ghoulish as that may sound.

Has anyone written about what the hell was up with the Tom Cruise Mummy movie? Why was Cruise even in it? What actually went wrong with its production (beyond just Alex Kurtzman)? Heard that Cruise tried to micromanage its production but how did he fuck up so bad? Just find this whole movie to be a weird blip in Tom Cruise’s career.

29 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Has anyone written about what the hell was up with the Tom Cruise Mummy movie? Why was Cruise even in it? What actually went wrong with its production (beyond just Alex Kurtzman)? Heard that Cruise tried to micromanage its production but how did he fuck up so bad? Just find this whole movie to be a weird blip in Tom Cruise’s career.

The best I could find is this Variety write-up from when the movie came out, which alleges that Cruise was given free rein by Universal to control basically every aspect of the project:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-mummy-meltdown-tom-cruise-1202465742/

Edited by cookie
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

One of my favorite YouTube series is What Happened from Matt McMuscles, which goes through video games that go through developmental woes, good or bad, with the occasional movie. This is a pretty solid and funny summation of these events.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of though, don't know if folks care, but Universal showed off their Dark Universe portion of the Epic Universe and this is legitimately the sickest thing ever, especially for a Universal Monsters nerd like me. If there's any Floridians who want to treat me like a sugar daddy and take me to the park next year....pwease? 👉👈