Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Every single rapper 21 and under dresses like either Lil Pump or someone from My Chemical Romance with no in between.

"Gucci gang, gucci gang

gucci gang, gucci gang

gucci gang, gucci gang

gucci gang

spent three racks on new chain

my bih love do cocaine ooh"

giphy.gif

sorry it was obligatory.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Enjoy some of the gems I found while scrolling through his history.

“The American Hogwarts”

Fake fan spotted.

It’s called the American Wizarding School

And “what’s your house” is a non-fan’s question.

Houses don’t fucking mean anything. There a lil school categorization thing. It’s not like it’s an important plot element.

That said, I’m a Slytherin.

An arrogant American who feels the need to instruct and pontificate on what is and isn’t “proper literature”.

It’s a novel right? It’s a book?

News, my friend: it’s literature.

Or maybe you want to tell Rowling, who wrote the stories based off of her experiences with poverty, depression, and death, that her life’s work isn’t proper literature.

Maybe you want to tell the Columbine survivor who gave an interview on how much the themes of coming to terms with loss and death and murder in Harry Potter helped her, maybe you want to write to her, and tell her she should read proper literature

Maybe you want to tell the young woman who looked for inspiration in the stories, and ended up getting Rowling’s personal signature, written “expecto patronum”, tattooed on her arm, maybe you want to tell her that that isn’t proper literature that saved her life.

Maybe you want to write to the sociologists who come out with studies each year, saying that “reading Harry Potter can make you more empathetic”, and tell them that they’re wrong, and they should study “proper literature”.

Maybe you should tell the mom that wrote, to JK Rowling, a letter, read aloud at a charity event by Daisy Ridley, about the experience she had reading Harry Potter with her dying daughter, that she needs to put that shit down. That’s not real literature.

Maybe you should tell the girl who quoted Dumbledore in the speech she gave to her school after her family was murdered around her by her uncle, and she had to play dead on the floor of her home, you should write to tell her and tell her she should read proper literature, not “decent stories”.

Maybe you should tell the Syrian Family, who wrote to Rowling about the comfort they found in Harry Potter as a family, reading about the characters hardships and life battles, as they fought to leave their war torn country, that they aren’t interested in real literature.

Fuck you. Unbelievable.

“Americans watched in droves as Captain America fended off that giant purple ballsacks hand in slow motion, and went - - w o a - - at the same time”

The fuck is wrong with you people.

“Harry Potter’s just too long” they whine.

“THIS IS A DARK MOVIE” they broadcast in their stupid, out-of-touch reviews, after saying the same thing about every other Potter film before it, despite the fact that they love to treat the Potter franchise like it’s an animated kids film franchise between releases of films.

Hey Americans: stop acting condescending and insulting toward a franchise that you won’t touch, or one you don’t have the intelligence or the patience to fully understand. Fuck off.

There's also something to be said about how it's one of the only commercial fantasy novels to not need necessarily thick allegory to carry it's themes, which is sort of due to the fact that is an urban/contemporary fantasy. Lord of the Rings, for example, is far more morally simple, less emotionally heavy, less bloody/tragic, and less thematically prescient, and that's the closest series to it in terms of fame...and it still doesn't quite reach it.

That's not to say Lord of the Rings is un-sophisticated, no, quite the contrary, but from a content perspective, Lord of the Rings is a much less scarier, and much more distant story, when it comes to thematics, whereas Potter is a more frightening story that deals with more modern, close-to-home, prescient, and far more personal emotional elements and thematic concepts, alongside the magic and the fun, etc...

Harry Potter was much darker than Lord of the Rings, as it actually deals with bloody violence and pertinent sociopolitical issues, and has a far more complex villain than "evil talking eye".

Harry Potter leans closer to being Horror than Lord of the Rings EVER fucking does.

Who died in Lord of the Rings? Loads of characters died in Harry Potter.

Harry Potter tackles themes relating to sadomasochism, manipulation, prejudice, bigotry, murder and torture, death, loyalty, love obsession, and lust, propaganda and media manipulation, educational reform and control, abuse, depression and trauma, loss of innocence and coming of age, rape, institutionalization, the death and murder of children, the death penalty, genocide and fascism, terrorism, and the like.

The array of harsh themes and horrific violence it tackles is really leaps and bounds above what Lord of the Rings grapples with

Lord of the Rings is a much more lightweight, less realistic, less emotionally complex, and a far more morally simple story.

As a 30 year old man who got into Harry Potter at age 27, it's far more enjoyable at an older age than Star Wars is. 

Star Wars I can't love anymore. It doesn't age with an audience, in fact, it panders to an audience much younger than something like Harry Potter was ever meant for.

• Like 1

@Jayhawk, @Cmasterclay, @MrPink have yall heard about the scandal going on at Howard with the student-employee named Tyrone allegedly stealing over $400,000 of students' financial aid? The best non-Capitals/Nationals related DC quote I've seen maybe ever. :lol:

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Trust is getting pretty meh reviews. Brendan Fraser in a cowboy hat couldn't save it :lol: 

I'd say FX should just leave these real life true story shows to Ryan Murphy (since you know with his stuff that you'll at least get great acting), but he's about to leave them for Netflix so...

39 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

@Jayhawk, @Cmasterclay, @MrPink have yall heard about the scandal going on at Howard with the student-employee named Tyrone allegedly stealing over $400,000 of students' financial aid? The best non-Capitals/Nationals related DC quote I've seen maybe ever. :lol:

Yeah I saw some wild pics. Incredibly brazen with his spending but I can't deny his style

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Yeah I saw some wild pics. Incredibly brazen with his spending but I can't deny his style

Black Twitter has been going in and it's made my evening. 

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2