Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sorry to Bother You has been getting a fuckton of marketing with Atlanta. It's obviously a movie with zero rural appeal, but it should make a killing in metro areas.

Who wants to bet the mad white dudes will come after it crying "white voice is reverse racism" or "blackface should be ok if this is" or whatever?

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Who wants to bet the mad white dudes will come after it crying "white voice is reverse racism" or "blackface should be ok if this is" or whatever?

They're preparing their essays on reddit and here as we type. 

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

They're preparing their essays on reddit and here as we type. 

That reminds me that Gumby hasn't been around in a while to spew nonsense. I guess a superhero movie starring almost all black people becoming one of the biggest movies of all time (on top of a female superhero movie being one of the biggest smash hits of last year) finally turned him to dust.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Nah, losing 120 is just as hard as wining 120.  Only happened once ever as far as I can tell.

Just one of the many things I love about baseball.  Earlier last night I messaged @MrPink and told him that the comedown the Red Sox have is gonna be something, because they've been TOO good.  And, well, lol.

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Like you said, it's early. The Reds and Marlins will be dumpster fires all season, no doubt, but I don't see them hitting 120 losses. To put it into perspective, the 2003 Tigers - who lost 119 - were 3-21 by the end of April. I guess the Reds could still hit that mark - they're 3-17 right now - but I'm sure they'll have some sort of run that will even them out and put them on track to "only" lose somewhere in the 100-110 vicinity.

That being said, I won't be surprised if we see the 1962 Mets' all-time 120-loss record challenged in the next few years. The Astros just won a World Series after a years-long complete strip-down of all Major League talent not named Jose Altuve that included three consecutive 100+ loss seasons. (Even the aforementioned Tigers were back in the World Series three years after their brush with infamy.) If a team commits to sucking epically to rebuild the farm system and has a couple really good teams in their division that can feast on them, that long-standing record could be in jeopardy.

So watch the Mariners do it in the early 2020s and then still not even sniff the playoffs when their "rebuild" is complete a few years later. ;)

Oh, I'm well aware of how hard it is.  And the 120 crack was slightly in jest.

But we  haven't had NBA levels of tanking in MLB before (at least not to this degree in the modern free agency era) and I fear teams are looking at what happened to the Cubs and Astros (and to a degree, the Nationals) and taking the wrong lessons.

As Webslinger notes, if ruefully, teardowns only get you so far.  Don't have to look much further than the Padres to see that.  

My secondary worry is what happens to attendance in these cities.  Folks may not come out in droves for a perpetual .500 team.  But who wants to sit around and see their team get their heads smashed in night in and night out for years on end?  Besides that, there's always the danger of Marlin-izing one's self if one follows a cycle of great two years/garbage eight years.  That might produce a winner every decade and a half, but it does a number on the health of the fanbase.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

LinkedIn Learning is supposed to be a premium feature but I found that some courses are open to regular users*, so I've been padding my profile with Azure learning stuff because the courses are so short.

I like Azure, and I'm actually learning stuff so it's not just empty certificates and shit.

*I don't know if they know but, I"m not telling them.

6 minutes ago, Morieris said:

LinkedIn Learning is supposed to be a premium feature but I found that some courses are open to regular users*, so I've been padding my profile with Azure learning stuff because the courses are so short.

I like Azure, and I'm actually learning stuff so it's not just empty certificates and shit.

*I don't know if they know but, I"m not telling them.

I'm more on the AWS side of things, both Azure and AWS are the future though.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

why am i mad at nothing right now

it's the negative vibe of the boards lately.  That and your name starts with Wrath so that may have something to do with it ;) 

• Sad 1

I watched Spanglish last night and it's hilarious to think the WrathOfHan's of 2004 would've been peddling it as an Oscar contender in the primordial ooze that was whatever forum people discussed the Oscars on back then. Whack-ass movie.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1