Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I have to say that there is so much toxic entitlement in fanbases today, especially ones that are your typical “internet fanboy” movies.

People don’t seem to get that while, yes movies are intended to make money and please audiences, that they’re first expressions of art, emotions and creativity.  There seems to be this notion that each individual consumer is entitled for an artistic creator to cater exactly to their wishes, or the creator is soulless hack out to ruin what they love (which is also nonsense lol.  No filmmaker goes into production with the goal to enrage their target audience or make a bad product.  They go into it with either a goal to please audiences or create something they find to be quality.)

Ive seen it with quite a few franchises (blockbuster films and video games are the two most common mediums for this to happen in), where people go on a rage storm because for some reason they didn’t like a movie.  I mean to the extent where you’re spamming the feed of a director or creator calling them evil trash because they happened to dislike an installment.  Or going and spamming anything to do with the property about what you didn’t like, ruining the enjoyment of discussion from people who may have not hated it.

It may sound like I’m ranting about toxic fans of one franchise in particular, and while they’re definitely apart of it, I am talking about franchises and fanboy properties as a whole.  It’s really gotten ridiculous and it hurts the creative process because you put producers in a position where they never want to risk something daring out of fear of intense fan backlash.

Art forms are driven through innovation and trying new things.  And not all new things are going to please everyone, but pushing past old boundaries and exploring new space is what keeps art forms from going stale.  Toxic fandom, imo, is holding back art forms because people don’t know how to move on when they don’t like something.  

It’s possible to be a fan of something and not love everything about it.  In some ways that might speak about how our society is right now, where we see everything as black and white, and people aren’t willing to admit that maybe most things are somewhere inbetween

Proud to say this doesn't apply to the Jim gang.

Jim is the auteur and we let him make the choices B)

4 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

I have to say that there is so much toxic entitlement in fanbases today, especially ones that are your typical “internet fanboy” movies.

People don’t seem to get that while, yes movies are intended to make money and please audiences, that they’re first expressions of art, emotions and creativity.  There seems to be this notion that each individual consumer is entitled for an artistic creator to cater exactly to their wishes, or the creator is soulless hack out to ruin what they love (which is also nonsense lol.  No filmmaker goes into production with the goal to enrage their target audience or make a bad product.  They go into it with either a goal to please audiences or create something they find to be quality.)

Ive seen it with quite a few franchises (blockbuster films and video games are the two most common mediums for this to happen in), where people go on a rage storm because for some reason they didn’t like a movie.  I mean to the extent where you’re spamming the feed of a director or creator calling them evil trash because they happened to dislike an installment.  Or going and spamming anything to do with the property about what you didn’t like, ruining the enjoyment of discussion from people who may have not hated it.

It may sound like I’m ranting about toxic fans of one franchise in particular, and while they’re definitely apart of it, I am talking about franchises and fanboy properties as a whole.  It’s really gotten ridiculous and it hurts the creative process because you put producers in a position where they never want to risk something daring out of fear of intense fan backlash.

Art forms are driven through innovation and trying new things.  And not all new things are going to please everyone, but pushing past old boundaries and exploring new space is what keeps art forms from going stale.  Toxic fandom, imo, is holding back art forms because people don’t know how to move on when they don’t like something.  

It’s possible to be a fan of something and not love everything about it.  In some ways that might speak about how our society is right now, where we see everything as black and white, and people aren’t willing to admit that maybe most things are somewhere inbetween

I don't think people understand just how hard it is to a make a movie with any degree of competence. There's so many components that have to come together from the story to perfomances to staging, lighting, makeup, audio, visuals, etc. Since you mentioned fandoms, it always irks me when people dismiss Marvel movies as having a formula. Sure, there's something of a playbook, but it all comes down to execution (which can take the work of thousands of people for a tentpole).  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

So i just read a little about this Drake Pusha T beef. Is it just me or is this just another PR stunt?

i woulda thought that but Pusha T's track was too much for me to believe that. especially if it's true that drake was planning his own adidas collection called adidon that means pusha t screwed him big time.

I enjoyed the hell out of Game Night. It's not quite in the "B+ Comedy I'll Buy Because I Know I'm Gonna Re-Watch It an Inordinate Number of Times" club, but I'll probably at least rent it and then catch it on HBO in about a year.

Speaking of: I re-watched The Hangover for the first time since just before Part II came out, and it held up way better than I was expecting. After seeing Part II - a derivative letdown - and Part III - which seemed like a deliberate trolling effort - it's easy to forget how hilarious and well-constructed the original is. Zach Galifianakis was hilarious before the sequels ran his "relentlessly naive and oblivious" schtick into the ground.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DAR said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Game Night shows up in the fall on HBO 

Yeah, now that I think about it, that sounds right. It seems like they usually have about an 8-to-9-month turnaround, and Blade Runner 2049 is on the quicker end of said window with its premiere tonight (and they didn't crop Deakins's Oscar-winning cinematography!).

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

DODGERS TIED IT UP!

Also is @Porthos still on these forums?

Fucking Dbags... err Dbacks... blowing a huge division lead to give the Dodgers an easy way back into the playoffs. :rant:

(Seriously, Diamondbacks have been terribad the last five weeks.  Enough so that my garbage team known as the Giants is only a couple games out of first.  And I KNOW they have no business sniffing first right now. :lol:)

I keep waiting for the Dodgers to take off and leave everyone else in the NL West in the dust. They haven't looked great so far and the season-ending Seager injury and lack of certainty as to when Kershaw will returns are huge blows, but they seem far too talented to not at least sneak into the playoffs as one of the wild cards. Also: I had no idea that Matt Kemp has finally decided to be a productive player again until I glanced at the team stats on Baseball Reference. On my end, I'm simultaneously ecstatic about how good the Red Sox have been thus far (though the Betts injury hurts big time) and cautiously optimsitc about how long the Mariners can continue to not suck with their weak rotation and lack of a Robinson Cano.

I'm also re-watching Black Panther in 4K. Still incredibly badass.