Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I watched The Purge.

This movie's stupid.

Yeah the first one is easily the worst. Introduced a really great concept but did absolutely nothing with it. The sequels aren't great but they did a lot more with the concept than what the first film did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Watched Wages of Fear on Filmstruck last night.  Liked it but not sure I'd put it in the all time greats

I felt about the same. It takes pretty long to get going but even more than that I thought the ending was a big misstep. The main part is great though.

You seen Sorcerer? 

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I felt about the same. It takes pretty long to get going but even more than that I thought the ending was a big misstep. The main part is great though.

You seen Sorcerer? 

Yeah the ending seemed kind of like a parody. Haven't seen Sorcerer but heard good things

Just now, DAR said:

Yeah the ending seemed kind of like a parody. Haven't seen Sorcerer but heard good things

It's pretty terrific. Still doesn't have the ending I would've preferred but it works better than the original's. Roy Scheider and Tangerine Dream's score are great. And the rope bridge scene has to be seen to be believed. 

20 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I watched The Purge.

This movie's stupid.

It's kind of funny how big the jump in quality from the first Purge to the new one is.  The Purge is one of the worst horror films I've seen, and The First Purge is pretty good and the lead in it is charismatic and fuck and I hope he gets more work.

The only really strong scene in the first Purge is when our rich white protagonists tie up and straight-up torture the poor black man who's ended up in their house while preparing to toss him outside in exchange for their safety. They walk back on this immediately, obviously, but the movie still gets a little darker than I expected and really it should have ended right there. No more actual points left to make after that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAR said:

So better than Wages?

I'd say yes, if only a little. They have different strengths and weaknesses. But it's a worthy remake in that it takes the original premise and gives it its own treatment, which in this case is very Friedkin and very '70s Hollywood

• Like 1

Watched Across the Universe again tonight (because it's back in theaters for a few days this week - it even sold out its one show at my theater tonight) and had a "that was him?" moment when Discount Tom Hardy showed up as the leader of the SDR. Always fun to see early random appearances in retrospect from people who would go on to be more famous back from when they were total nobodies.

Edited by filmlover

48 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Anarchy really is a pretty shocking leap forward compared to Purge 1. Like the guy actually learned how screenplays work in the meantime. And Frank Grillo really owns this one, dude is like Jon Hamm's action hero brother. 

I think Election Year is my favorite of all the "direct sequels," I think it embraces its inherent goofiness in the concept and has some genuinely frightening moments to top it off.  It's not great, but it works well enough to be a solid diversion for 100 minutes.