Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Just now, cannastop said:

Well I mean. There are real people behind those check marks. Many of them work in media and such.

But you nor anyone else can sit here and tell me that 99% of rottentomatoes voters giving Chapelle a "fresh" rating means 99% of all people don't think critically about bigotry and other bad behavior.

Yes I am not saying 99% of people love the special but we know for a fact Twitter is a bubble and can be quite out of touch with general society. 

Thing is Dave Chappele comedy is well beloved by people of colour as he tells it how it is though... The man is icon among my diverse group of friends for his hard hitting sketches and routines on issues of race. 

He cuts through all the bull shit and fake niceties of the modern age...There is a reason why Chapelle gets way more attention and buzz then a lot of modern comedians...

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Not sure of the 2 point you make here, Chapelle is someone that think a lot and critically of bigotery, yes I would agree that something that is quite mainstream to do.

Yeah he can definitely be thoughtful but I think even he knows he's playing to the cheap seats with some of his new shit.

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yes I am not saying 99% of people love the special but we know for a fact Twitter is a bubble and can be quite out of touch with general society. 

Thing is Dave Chappele comedy is well beloved by people of colour as he tells it how it is though... The man is icon among my diverse group of friends for his hard hitting sketches and routines on issues of race. 

He cuts through all the bull shit and fake niceties of the modern age...There is a reason why Chapelle gets way more attention and buzz then a lot of modern comedians...

It's from goodwill from 15 years ago. That's it.

Yes, he probably does still have lots of great material but not everything he does is gold.

13 minutes ago, cannastop said:

It's from goodwill from 15 years ago. That's it.

Yes, he probably does still have lots of great material but not everything he does is gold.

His bit on Jussie Smollett was way better then anything i hear from Colbert and company lately. 

Its like Joe Rogan, why is show still insanely popular even though he has had people like Milo and Alex Jones on there. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

31 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Haha! Oh my God, he would have been absolutely roasted. I'm glad Carlin's greatness existed during another time and not now when it would have been smothered and shamed.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Like  I wonder how George Carlin would have fared in 2019 lol

There is a bit of chaos and always hard to say, but he would have probably thrived a lot in the current environment, Jeselnik said in an interview that the current climate have been a big help for is career and how much is stuff work with crowds, the level of quality of the last Chapelle would also not work as well without it.

I am not sure what Carlin did back then would not work now.

Louis CK is selling is tickets at a crazy rate even today and was selling Madison square garden in record time not so long ago, Blanche Gardin is bigand just won the last 2 Molières, Chapelle/Bill Burr are making what $20M a show ? on Netflix of all place, Carlin would have adjusted himself to thrive in this world I would imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

There is a bit of chaos and always hard to say, but he would have probably thrived a lot in the current environment, Jeselnik said in an interview that the current climate have been a big help for is career and how much is stuff work with crowds, the level of quality of the last Chapelle would also not work as well without it.

Louis CK is selling is tickets at a crazy rate even today and was selling Madison square garden in record time not so long ago, Blanche Gardin is big and winning and just won the last 2 Molières, Chapelle/Bill Burr are making what 20M a show on Netflix of all place, Carlin would have adjusted himself to thrive in this world I would imagine.

Yeah being against woke culture and such is making people like Bill Burr super famous, there is no doubt a huge demand for such material. 

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

His bit on Jussie Smollett was way better then anything i hear from Colbert and company lately. 

I just find it refreshing to hear a comedian who does not do Trump jokes 24/7...

You cannot compare a stand up material with some late night show/need to get stuff every day no time to test and improve it type of material.

Topical late night is a different ball park (would be a bit like comparing SNL live sketch put up together in a rush week with a movie)

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Louis CK is selling is tickets at a crazy rate even today and was selling Madison square garden in record time not so long ago, Blanche Gardin is big and winning and just won the last 2 Molières, Chapelle/Bill Burr are making what 20M a show on Netflix of all place, Carlin would have adjusted himself to thrive in this world I would imagine.

Carlin would have been 82 now. Drugging doesn't come free.

52 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Haha! Oh my God, he would have been absolutely roasted. I'm glad Carlin's greatness existed during another time and not now when it would have been smothered and shamed.

If there were 2 people I could resurrect today it would be George Carlin and Christopher Hitchens.   The sheer spectacle would be something else.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Just replace the government with Tik Tok teens

Replacing the government by someone that have such a lack of basic knowledge to say something like: "why would he buy super bowls ads if he owns all the team" or that not eating in restaurant everyday should be considered something ? Would be quite the experiment.

• Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Replacing the government by someone that have such a lack of basic knowledge to say something like: "why would he buy super bowls ads if he owns all the team" or that not eating in restaurant everyday should be considered something ? Would be quite the experiment.

It's humor man. Chappelle type thing.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Louis CK is selling is tickets at a crazy rate even today and was selling Madison square garden in record time not so long ago, Blanche Gardin is bigand just won the last 2 Molières, Chapelle/Bill Burr are making what $20M a show ? on Netflix of all place, Carlin would have adjusted himself to thrive in this world I would imagine.

One can still be successful and roasted by a particular demographic. That's all I was saying. He would still be successful but would also constantly bear the burden of the woke crowd as well.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Christopher Hitches would be extremely irrelevant today although it is an interesting question if he would have supported Trump.

For which reason, I feel like that the Christian's and other religious group powers among world politics did not when down much since he left it.... if anything it is the other way around.