Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Twitter mob is not general culture 

It is.

Their nefarious influence is major.

I see now french politics using all the progressive buzz words and concepts nobody talked about just 5 years ago.

It s kinda incredible to be honest how things have turned in such a short period of time.

Strong willed and determined small groups of people dictate a lot of things in society, it has always been that way. 

Edited by The Futurist

29 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@Spaghetti @YourMother the Edgelord @Plain Old Tele @Morieris @JB33 @Jason @SLAM!

Considering the later deadline Zoetrope gave, I'm probably going to send a draft to you on Saturday, October 5th. Have to submit during the following Tuesday.

That is perfect, I was going to tell you I'm at a conference from the 1st to the 4th of October and it'd be a while before I got to read it. I can read it on the plane back and make notes.

3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

That is perfect, I was going to tell you I'm at a conference from the 1st to the 4th of October and it'd be a while before I got to read it. I can read it on the plane back and make notes.

You're too kind. I don't expect immediate responses anyways.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For which reason, I feel like that the Christian's and other religious group powers among world politics did not when down much since he left it.... if anything it is the other way around.

Its not necessarily the religion stuff(which didn't really become his biggest thing until 9/11), the guy just had a way with words and the english language in unique way that made him so entertaining to watch.  

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

hmmm what do you mean?

Hitch is mostly defined by is push back against the ever winning their place back in politics of the religious fundamentalist group and ideas, no ?

The difficulty of keeping church and state separate do sound still extremely relevant, the stronghold on the republican party is strong, today even democrat candidate literally met up with religious lobby group and are openly criticized if they do not do it. And that tend to be true around the world.

And today world seem easier more mainstream for a Marxist/Anti-capitalist like Hitch than in the 90s/early 2000s, seem a bit more mainstream now.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Hitch is mostly defined by is push back against the ever winning their place back in politics of the religious fundamentalist group and ideas, no ?

The difficulty of keeping church and state separate do sound still extremely relevant, the stronghold on the republican party is strong, today even democrat candidate literally met up with religious lobby group and are openly criticized if they do not do it. And that tend to be true around the world.

And today world seem easier more mainstream for a Marxist/Anti-capitalist like Hitch than in the 90s/early 2000s, seem a bit more mainstream now.

Well he was kind of famous before he was famous for being an atheist...

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well he was kind of famous before he was famous for being an atheist...

But what changed that would make Hitch irrelevant now a day ?

Would he have not been potentially quite good on twitter and youtube ? Is style match the new media really well no ? And he would have had a field day with all those super high profile right wing religious figure on the Internet (the Shapiro, Peterson, Crowder, etc...), imagine them trying to debate him.....

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

But what changed that would make Hitch irrelevant now a day ?

Would he have not been potentially quite good on twitter and youtube ? Is style match the new media really well no ?

well he was just known for being a bit of a contrarian. And that doesn't play well in today's environment.

Jeez, the Mariners are not being subtle at all about King Felix's outing tonight being his last game in a Seattle uniform. It was inevitable, though; his numbers have been horrible and the tension between him and the powers-that-be in the organization the last couple years has been glaringly obvious. It's still embarrassing that the Mariners completely wasted his prime and never got him to a playoff game, so I hope he catches on somewhere else and rebounds a la Bartolo Colon with the Yankees and A's earlier this decade.

Also: I saw Ad Astra tonight, and while I enjoyed it thoroughly, I'm going to have to go see it again so that I can witness it without a couple of drunk jerks ruining it by texting throughout most of the run time and loudly announcing that they'd had enough about 100 minutes in.

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Also: I saw Ad Astra tonight, and while I enjoyed it thoroughly, I'm going to have to go see it again so that I can witness it without a couple of drunk jerks ruining it by texting throughout most of the run time and loudly announcing that they'd had enough about 100 minutes in.

Damn sorry.

I once fucked up by seeing people walk into a movie 75 minutes in and I was like "what the fuck? It's almost over now." Said that out loud. The dad sitting next to me angrily shushed me. Sometimes you don't know what to do.

10 hours ago, Barnack said:

I can understand why this might be so, because now the market does not make mistakes, the market makes the best decision on how a person lives their life.  But the market can make a mistake, that makes your life hard, and a lot are making hard decisions.  And I just don't know that we need an ideology to help fix it, like say "Don't drink and drive".  I can't tell you how long it's taken, I hope it takes you less than 20 years to understand that driving is a bad idea.  It just takes a while to see your mistakes and move forward.  I can tell you it takes a while to see why some things are good, and some things are bad for society. What I can say is that there is a place for ideology in a world where there is a lack of ideology.

2 hours ago, Kthuxi said:

I can understand why this might be so, because now the market does not make mistakes, the market makes the best decision on how a person lives their life.  But the market can make a mistake, that makes your life hard, and a lot are making hard decisions.  And I just don't know that we need an ideology to help fix it, like say "Don't drink and drive".  I can't tell you how long it's taken, I hope it takes you less than 20 years to understand that driving is a bad idea.  It just takes a while to see your mistakes and move forward.  I can tell you it takes a while to see why some things are good, and some things are bad for society. What I can say is that there is a place for ideology in a world where there is a lack of ideology.

what?