Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, cannastop said:

Wait... the two Princess Mononoke English Dub actors were once a thing?

LOL, that isn't how they got together, but yes. Like the tweet says, Billy Crudup and Mary-Louise Parker were a long-time couple (6-7 years), and having their first child together when he left her (in her third trimester) for the younger Claire Danes. Billy and Claire were in a movie together (Stage Beauty) and fell for each other. This was late 2003, none of them were A-listers, but it was very publicly messy with clear good and bad guys, so easy for gossips to take sides.

Anyway, MLP gave birth and won a Golden Globe like three weeks later. She even thanked her son for her boobs looking good in her dress: 

Billy and Claire were together until 2006 despite a public backlash that affected their images, though IMO her career recovered more than his.

14 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

LOL, that isn't how they got together, but yes. Like the tweet says, Billy Crudup and Mary-Louise Parker were a long-time couple (6-7 years), and having their first child together when he left her (in her third trimester) for the younger Claire Danes. Billy and Claire were in a movie together (Stage Beauty) and fell for each other. This was late 2003, none of them were A-listers, but it was very publicly messy with clear good and bad guys, so easy for gossips to take sides.

Anyway, MLP gave birth and won a Golden Globe like three weeks later. She even thanked her son for her boobs looking good in her dress: 

Billy and Claire were together until 2006 despite a public backlash that affected their images, though IMO her career recovered more than his.

Crudup definitely took a while to recover, but that's more because he's never been A-list. 

He's by far the best thing about The Morning Show. In fact, if the show was even a tenth as good as it is when he's on screen, it would be an all timer.

Weirdly enough, this is the second time I'm hearing about Billy Crudup - MLP - Claire Danes today (after literally never hearing about it in a long time), the first being on the Where'd You Go Bernadette? discussion on This Had Oscar Buzz podcast

https://thishadoscarbuzz.tumblr.com/post/697127803946172416/213-whered-you-go-bernadette

Edited by grim22

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Crudup definitely took a while to recover, but that's more because he's never been A-list. 

He's by far the best thing about The Morning Show. In fact, if the show was even a tenth as good as it is when he's on screen, it would be an all timer.

Weirdly enough, this is the second time I'm hearing about Billy Crudup - MLP - Claire Danes today (after literally never hearing about it in a long time), the first being on the Where'd You Go Bernadette? discussion on This Had Oscar Buzz podcast

https://thishadoscarbuzz.tumblr.com/post/697127803946172416/213-whered-you-go-bernadette

I was just listening to that episode this afternoon-love that podcast.

I think Crudup's lack of superstardom probably didn't help with the backlash. A very famous guy will have fans who can get over what he did (or they never cared on the first place), because they've liked him for years in blockbusters or whatever. Like Tom Cruise with his fall from grace, that took years for his image to recover, and Billy was way less of a celebrity.

But even without the controversy, I wonder if Crudup was always going to be one of those guys who was primed to be a superstar based on looks/talent, but it ends up not working out that way. Some of the roles that were supposed to launch him to the next level (Without Limits, Almost Famous), didn't really.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

8 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

But even without the controversy, I wonder if Crudup was always going to be one of those guys who was primed to be a superstar based on looks/talent, but it ends up not working out that way. Some of the roles that were supposed to launch him to the next level (Without Limits, Almost Famous), didn't really.

Probably. I like Crudup but even without a tabloid scandal I think he is one of those actors where stardom would always elude him and his career would've ended up in the same place where it is today.

• Like 1

This quote feels like confirmation of what everyone's long assumed (that every white male lead is written with Leo in mind) lmao.

One of the people who was briefly cast ahead of you in the part was Leonardo DiCaprio. I’ve seen it reported that you lost at least five roles to DiCaprio in the ’90s, including Titanic.

Oh, dude. It’s not just me. Look, to this day, any role that anybody gets, it’s only because he’s passed on it beforehand. It doesn’t matter what anyone tells you. It doesn’t matter how friendly you are with the directors. All those people that I’ve worked with multiple times, they all offered every one of those roles to him first. Right? I had one of those people actually tell me that. So, thank you, Leo, because literally, he gets to choose everything he does. And good for him, he’s phenomenal.

Did you ever take that personally?

No. Do you know how grateful I am to get any damn thing? I mean, I can’t do what he does. I wouldn’t want the exposure that he has either. And he does it magnificently. But I would suspect that almost everybody of similar age to him in Hollywood owes their careers to him passing on whatever project it is.

Christian Bale Keeps Trying to Quit Hollywood | GQ