Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Getting swept is a bummer, but the Mariners lost all of those games by one or two runs. For a young team up against the league's most consistent powerhouse across the last decade, that actually has me feeling optimistic about the team's near future.

• Like 1

I would love to be a fly on the wall in MLB's offices, re: discussions and reflections on the new playoff format. Both of the 100+ win teams with first-round byes in the NL lost, and one of the bye recipients in the AL is on the brink of elimination. If the Yankees join the Dodgers and Braves in getting toppled in the division series, I'd be willing to bet that we see serious overhauling to the new playoff system (or, at the very least, its scheduling).

I'm rooting for a Guardians/Phillies World Series, just for the absolute chaos of it all.

7 hours ago, Webslinger said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in MLB's offices, re: discussions and reflections on the new playoff format. Both of the 100+ win teams with first-round byes in the NL lost, and one of the bye recipients in the AL is on the brink of elimination. If the Yankees join the Dodgers and Braves in getting toppled in the division series, I'd be willing to bet that we see serious overhauling to the new playoff system (or, at the very least, its scheduling).

I'm rooting for a Guardians/Phillies World Series, just for the absolute chaos of it all.

I doubt it, as the deck is already as stacked as it could be for the higher side teams.  When it comes right down to it, playoff baseball is just random.  No matter what you do, it's gonna be a short series and chaos will reign if given half a chance.

As Grant Brisbee put it today, baseball don't care:

But baseball don’t care. Baseball is free jazz, with alto saxophones skronking and screeching over a 7/4 beat, and we’re all dorks in powdered wigs, trying to make sense of it like it’s Mozart. Maybe we should just let those cats play.

Baseball looks at 111 wins and spits. With a 3-0 lead, Dodgers reliever Tommy Kahnle walked the leadoff hitter in the seventh inning, Jurickson Profar. The old baseball gods, the ones deep underneath the sea, stirred. Do not walk the leadoff hitter in the seventh inning with a three-run lead! All four balls were non-competitive pitches. Walks like that lead to infield hits, which is exactly what happened next. Walks like that lead to the Unexpected Postseason Hero of the Year, which is what Trent Grisham is, apparently. And after that guy singles, it leads to a double over third base from Ha-Seong Kim and past a shift, which was probably in place for logical reasons.

I honestly wondered if we were in a post-baseball-chaos world. If the abacus twiddlers and eggheads had gotten so good at analyzing players and planning methods of attack, that we were going to see teams like the Dodgers do exactly what they’re supposed to do.

Instead, ha ha, Jake Cronenworth go brrr, and it’s a perfectly executed at-bat that sends the Padres to the NLCS. The postseason is simply cruel.

I mean, the 116 win Mariners getting bounced back in 01 is proof enough that the regular season and the post season are just two different cats.

It's best just to appreciate each for what it is.  When it comes right down to it, baseball postseason is more like March Madness or the NHL postseason where anything can and will happen and much less like the NBA postseason where chalk reigns.

Might as well embrace (and market, IMO) the chaos as a selling point.

• Like 1

I have no idea what’s happened to voice actors for them to become the most insufferable people on the planet lately. 
If you haven’t been following: Bayonetta’s old voice actor told us that they offered her $4000 total to voice this game, apparently that’s too low, and then asked us to BOYCOTT the Bayonetta game as if Nintendo made a threat on her life. Cost of living crisis and you’re screaming bloody murder because $4000 is too low to dub a Japanese cartoon character??? $4000 for a months work is probably more than most other staff got paid for this game and now the people must boycott??? Lunacy!

Now further details start to leak:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, AJG said:

I have no idea what’s happened to voice actors for them to become the most insufferable people on the planet lately. 
If you haven’t been following: Bayonetta’s old voice actor told us that they offered her $4000 total to voice this game, apparently that’s too low, and then asked us to BOYCOTT the Bayonetta game as if Nintendo made a threat on her life. Cost of living crisis and you’re screaming bloody murder because $4000 is too low to dub a Japanese cartoon character??? $4000 for a months work is probably more than most other staff got paid for this game and now the people must boycott??? Lunacy!

Now further details start to leak:

Figured something was up when she started going after the new voice actor