Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

Well, at least it's not a sweep. I still don't have a good feeling about this series, though, even this game was nerve-wracking. 

braves series started the same way. Don’t believe the Astro’s lies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Woke up around midnight to take the puppy out, saw the Astros won.  I checked twitter and the two top trends were "Cheating" and "Cheaters" which sounds about right.

Yep, Twitter got all in a tizzy over such a nothingburger. People are desperate to accuse the Astros of anything. 

Just now, grim22 said:

It's amazing how Twitter will probably be a ghost town full of bots and extremists in like 6 months.

6 months?  Addiction to Twitter is too strong for that.  12 months or 24?  Maybe we're talking.  

Got to admit I am morbidly curious to see how it all shakes out and if a Twitter alternative actually arises.

===

More on Twitter Blue getting waaaaaaaaay upcharged (which is prob the real story here)

The directive is to change Twitter Blue, the company’s optional, $4.99 a month subscription that unlocks additional features, into a more expensive subscription that also verifies users, according to people familiar with the matter and internal correspondence seen by The Verge. Twitter is currently planning to charge $19.99 for the new Twitter Blue subscription. Under the current plan, verified users would have 90 days to subscribe or lose their blue checkmark. Employees working on the project were told on Sunday that they need to meet a deadline of November 7th to launch the feature or they will be fired.

Not entirely sure if Twitter Blue is actually getting quadrupled in price or if there is gonna be some sort of tiering involved, as that sounds excessive even for a raging bull hellbent on changes.

Also get something implimented in a week or you're fired?  For a dude with a background in computers that seems remarkably... Well I'd say "short sighted", but instead I have to wonder if he is intentionally setting an unreasonable deadline.  Both to play to the baying crowds and as an excuse to try to fire people "for cause".

Just now, Porthos said:

6 months?  Addiction to Twitter is too strong for that.  12 months or 24?  Maybe we're talking.  

Got to admit I am morbidly curious to see how it all shakes out and if a Twitter alternative actually arises.

===

More on Twitter Blue getting waaaaaaaaay upcharged (which is prob the real story here)

Not entirely sure if Twitter Blue is actually getting quadrupled in price or if there is gonna be some sort of tiering involved, as that sounds excessive even for a raging bull hellbent on changes.

Also get something implimented in a week or you're fired?  For a dude with a background in computers that seems remarkably... Well I'd say "short sighted", but instead I have to wonder if he is intentionally setting an unreasonable deadline.  Both to play to the baying crowds and as an excuse to try to fire people "for cause".

You underestimate just how many people just sort of drift away from something they used everyday at the least bit of convenience deficit or feature removal.

And becoming a haven for bots and racism is probably the biggest convenience deficit. Jack Dorsey is launching a Twitter alternative soon as well I think, that might be something to keep an eye on.

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's amazing how Twitter will probably be a ghost town full of bots and extremists in like 6 months.

For the best

Journalists can go back to actually writing articles based on the real world.

Twitter becoming less relevant likely be better for society culture and politics in North America.

Edited by Torontofan

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

You underestimate just how many people just sort of drift away from something they used everyday at the least bit of convenience deficit or feature removal.

And becoming a haven for bots and racism is probably the biggest convenience deficit. Jack Dorsey is launching a Twitter alternative soon as well I think, that might be something to keep an eye on.

Real talk coming up.  I think the power of dunking on people (along with being able to curate one's feed) is an exceedingly strong pull.  Combine that with the newsiness of Twitter (it really is fantastic tool to share bumper sticker/headline sized descriptions of current events) and I think that is a hell of a one-two combo.

Now if there is a blue check exodus thanks to stupid things like $20 a month to be verified, then we actually start to cut into a core pillar of Twitter's strength.  At the same time, the pull to dunk shouldn't be underestimated either.

If people still get their dopamine hits from getting likes/retweets, then I think the service would really have to be 4chan-lite before there was a massive exodus.

Now a slow, declining death, which is then followed by a sudden collapse?  That I could see.  But not at six months.  That's just way too quick for something so entrenched in the current internet.  I mean, reddit is still going strong.  Heck, if we want to use reddit as a point, digg managed to hold off reddit for a while before succumbing to irrelevancy.  Longer than six months, that's for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Real talk coming up.  I think the power of dunking on people (along with being able to curate one's feed) is an exceedingly strong pull.  Combine that with the newsiness of Twitter (it really is fantastic tool to share bumper sticker/headline sized descriptions of current events) and I think that is a hell of a one-two combo.

Now if there is a blue check exodus thanks to stupid things like $20 a month to be verified, then we actually start to cut into a core pillar of Twitter's strength.  At the same time, the pull to dunk shouldn't be underestimated either.

If people still get their dopamine hits from getting likes/retweets, then I think the service would really have to be 4chan-lite before there was a massive exodus.

Now a slow, declining death, which is then followed by a sudden collapse?  That I could see.  But not at six months.  That's just way too quick for something so entrenched in the current internet.  I mean, reddit is still going strong.  Heck, if we want to use reddit as a point, digg managed to hold off reddit for a while before succumbing to irrelevancy.  Longer than six months, that's for sure.

The reason Reddit is going strong is due to, wait for it, content moderation.

Every subreddit has their guidelines for sure, but it's pretty clear and pretty well enforced. Now remove that content moderation aspect and that's where everything falls apart.

Imagine just seeing the n-word and other assorted slurs in every trending topic. It will be like a Facebook in the end, a decline of actual active users. Facebook at least has Instagram and WhatsApp keeping them going, Twitter doesn't have that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Every subreddit has their guidelines for sure, but it's pretty clear and pretty well enforced. Now remove that content moderation aspect and that's where everything falls apart.

Imagine just seeing the n-word and other assorted slurs in every trending topic. It will be like a Facebook in the end, a decline of actual active users. Facebook at least has Instagram and WhatsApp keeping them going, Twitter doesn't have that.

We'll see.  I just think six months is too quick a time frame.  Not without doing something ultra dumb like what Tumblr did at least.

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Bro most reddits page are a dumpster fire or a circle jerk or both. Insults and mean sentiments in all directions.

Its a collection of self-pity and a detachment of reality. That is why it's going strong...it attracts a mostly male doomer audience who can doom.

I use reddit as I find i get to know some 'off beat' stuff going on locally, but I won't call it as a place that is well run or reflects reality in any way. 

Edited by Torontofan