Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Twitter going down be a net benefit for society.

Unsure why people so worried. 

Next should be TIk Tok which is seems designed to make people dumber in the western world.  

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/30/how-tiktok-holds-our-attention

it is literally making our attention spans shorter and spreading misinformation at a faster rate then Twitter and FB right now. 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Twitter going down be a net benefit for society.

Unsure why people so worried. 

Next should be TIk Tok which is seems designed to make people dumber in the western world.  

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/09/30/how-tiktok-holds-our-attention

it is literally making our attention spans shorter and spreading misinformation at a faster rate then Twitter and FB right now. 

I mean personally speaking Twitter is my main source to connect with friends and keeps me up to date on the news better than any other platform. I know that's the case for many others as well. Losing that easy access is pretty damaging to people's awareness of the news and its ability to promote causes and issues that need to be addressed. Sure, sometimes there's misinformation, but that's only a drop in the bucket to the usual rallying Twitter users do.

Plus Twitter is important for marketing, especially with smaller businesses. At almost every company I've worked for, social media is a necessity to promote ourselves and keep us afloat compared to the businesses with bigger exposure. And at the end of the day, thousands of jobs are being lost because of an idiot billionaire. Is lost jobs out of people's own control really worth getting rid of an entire social media platform? Is people's livelihoods worth being destroyed because of some random social media site you can easily ignore? (And yes, you can ignore it. Twitter is not destroying society as we know it like you claim it is. And that bit of yours has gotten super old)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Killmonger said:

I mean personally speaking Twitter is my main source to connect with friends and keeps me up to date on the news better than any other platform. I know that's the case for many others as well. Losing that easy access is pretty damaging to people's awareness of the news and its ability to promote causes and issues that need to be addressed. Sure, sometimes there's misinformation, but that's only a drop in the bucket to the usual rallying Twitter users do.

Plus Twitter is important for marketing, especially with smaller businesses. At almost every company I've worked for, social media is a necessity to promote ourselves and keep us afloat compared to the businesses with bigger exposure. And at the end of the day, thousands of jobs are being lost because of an idiot billionaire. Is lost jobs out of people's own control really worth getting rid of an entire social media platform? Is people's livelihoods worth being destroyed because of some random social media site you can easily ignore? (And yes, you can ignore it. Twitter is not destroying society as we know it like you claim it is. And that bit of yours has gotten super old)

Thing is you like twitter as it just an echo chamber of what you like which is fine, but understand twitter is public and not like this forum or a discord server. 

Twitter is most popular and influential in america,

America is the most polarized country, this is not random.

Twitter cant be ignored as it shapes our culture and mass media news. Even if you ignore it, it shapes our society a lot even though its user base is a fraction of other apps. It is quite clear that Twitter is largely responsabile for the increased polarization of society. 

My point is the less important  such apps even FB and IG and Tik Tok become, likely is a net benefit for everyone :)

These apps have become to powerful and negative for society :)

Tik Toc is shortening our attention spans and making people dumber.

IG is making us depressed and have unrealistic aspirations.

FB spreads misinformation

If in the 2020s, social media apps go on the decline, this is likely for the best.

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 1

I have only had positive experiences on Twitter. It was there where I found other Snyder fans and Amber Heard supporters, and I don't know if there's any other place where I would be able to have those connections that have been helpful for my mental health. When BVS came out, and during the Virginia trial this year, I felt so alone, but Twitter was important for me to know that I wasn't crazy and that there are many more people out there who think like me. I don't mind the bullying because I trained myself many years ago to not let other people's comments affect me, though I understand that's an issue for most people. For me, Twitter is a very useful social network and I'll miss it. But if it's gone it won't be that bad either, I think it's time for me to spend less time on my phone and focus on living anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Yeah qTwitter is quite useful, I've only had positive experiences with it. 

Any social media is within your control. Follow those who you want and mute the rest. I constantly mute folks at twitter for being too sassy/negative and only post memes. But there are so many great folks to follow that I will miss if twitter is not around. That said its remote possibility that it will shut down for ever. it will probably have issues more than normal but at some point settle down. I have a feeling Elon will lose interest in this project at some point and just hand over CEO reins to someone else.

46 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Any social media is within your control. Follow those who you want and mute the rest. I constantly mute folks at twitter for being too sassy/negative and only post memes. But there are so many great folks to follow that I will miss if twitter is not around. That said its remote possibility that it will shut down for ever. it will probably have issues more than normal but at some point settle down. I have a feeling Elon will lose interest in this project at some point and just hand over CEO reins to someone else.

I think the thing is Twitter will become less relevant overall in society and people who enjoy can use it in peace?

I think that be best for everyone :)

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

I think the thing is Twitter will become less relevant overall in society and people who enjoy can use it in peace?

I think that be best for everyone :)

And other services will rise to take it's place.

41 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Elizabeth Holmes gets 11 years in Club Fed for fraud.

Now they have a new final scene to write for the Jennifer Lawrence movie about Holmes.

Nevermind, I was thinking of someone else.

Edited by Verrows