Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's the only combo that works. It's early in the day, so I do run the risk of an annoying audience. Might just do SOW in the late afternoon and see PT sometime over the next week

That might be the best choice. The Shape of Water is a movie best enjoyed by itself anyway.

• Like 1

During the period I was buying from Amazon UK my sister gave me an Amazon gift voucher. However, it was for Amazon USA for USD50 and couldn’t be redeemed at the U.K. store. I ended buying books and also had to pay freight. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Anybody ever have the problem of not being able to log onto the forum via Tapatalk? I'm logged into Tapatalk itself, but when I try to sign in here, I get the "no permission" message at the bottom. I'm using the right password so it ain't that.

Tapatalk has been a mess ever since that software upgrade

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Hah, I thought for sure you'd be one of the people who had me beaten.

Looking back through I hardly had any orders until 2010.  I had an online used bookstore and joined Amazon to sell.  Most of my book purchases back then would have been from ABE or Alibris since they were a better place to get collectibles.

• Like 1

If anyone has taken an introductory statistics course I could really use your help... I can even pay back in however many likes my free account allows but I'm so tired and I'm struggling with a concept for my mid term. We had an instructor-change a few weeks ago and in the transition we had a substitute come in and with it all we missed a few details and I'm really struggling to understand them. 

I've got questions asking something like 

What z-score value cuts off the highest 9 percent

or

What is the percent found in a given region where the z-score is smaller than 1.13

I know it comes down to converting z scores to percentages, but I really don't understand how to do that. Does anyone know by any chance...

yikes okay a ran into another question type that keeps stumping me

Find the missing parameter.
σ = 16, 20% below 100; μ = ?

Edited by DAJK

1 minute ago, ACSlater said:

@Just Tele and rest of BoT community, need your help.

Have bet my fiance I will more followers than her in a month. She has ~20,000.

So i just started it. Follow me my BOTers.

@captainspocksbr

20k followers? Holy christ where did you find this woman...

Fuck it, I'm too stressed to sleep, so I'm gonna be ranting here. This post might not be the most coherently-flowing, but you should get the gist. As I'm tearing my pieces of paper from that first picture over my garbage, I just... gah. I don't know how to start this post. What the fuck even is my life? School has been stressing me out more and more. This is legitimately the first semester where I'm exhausted. My day basically starts at 9 AM, and classes take anywhere from 3 and a half hours to 5 and a half hours between commuting and being in classes. Even when I have a 90 minute break two days per week, I take that time to eat breakfast/lunch and relax before nearly two hours of listening to a lecture where I breeze through almost every problem. Then what happens when I get home about a quarter to three? I relax! After sitting in a classroom for two hours, the last thing I want to do is more schoolwoork! Maybe in about half an hour or an hour I'll start my homework. Oh, but my homework is too time consuming! On Wednesday, I spent over two hours on pre-calc homework, and yesterday I spent over an hour doing homework and still didn't finish it! I haven't even started my statistics homework for the week, still have to complete a discussion in psychology, practice my speech for next Thursday (not to mention make a Powerpoint for it), and study for a philosophy exam on Wednesday that I'm totally clueless about. I also forgot to mention I have to write a 5-6 page paper for that class which is due in about three weeks. There is way too much shit on my plate academically, yet I can't withdraw from any of those classes because my mom won't allow it. I handled four classes fine last semester, and I could probably handle five classes fine if they weren't all so time consuming. Looking back, I can honestly say I have never spent more than 4-5 hours in a single week on homework. I have already spent nearly six hours on homework this week, and I haven't even touched two of my classes. Now, why can't I do homework at night? Well, there's too much noise in my house until about 9 PM, and it's simply not the right time for me personally. I have dinner, take a shower, have another snack before bed, and play around online. That mood just extends into the night, though I have done plenty of late night study sessions in the past. Not this semester though! I mean, I was going to finish up my pre-calc homework tonight, but then I got so caught up in my notebook :lol: 

This feeling of exhaustion just looms over my entire day. Then when I'm done with homework on Friday/Saturday and have nothing to do, I feel incredibly strange yet do nothing to fix it. I mean, what could I possibly do to fix it? School has been leaving me with no motivation. I have done almost nothing recreational over the past month. I've made four trips to the movies, two of which were after the first week of school on a four day weekend. My other two trips were basically spur of the moment decisions, and it's honestly a miracle they even happened. Outside of those, Monday-Thursday is simply going to school and back, making dinner or getting fast food/takeout, and doing homework. I don't even watch much stuff at home anymore! People on here have given me suggestions about what I could do in my spare time before, so forgive me if it feels like I've ignored all that. However, I really can't find things to do in my area. I don't have friends, so doing stuff like bowling is out. There aren't many avenues for teens to meet outside of high school here, which I unfortunately have graduated from and can't partake in any extracurricular actives the school system offers to homeschooled students. You may think that I can do stuff with my family, but that really isn't the case. My dad is always working overtime, and it's been impossible to see a movie or go to a theme park with him. My mom is just glad to have the weekend to relax and likes to go shopping, and I almost always tag along even if it's not the most exciting thing because I like to spend time with her. My sister is in her own phase of wanting independence and has basically ignored me for about 9 months now between her schoolwork, a job, and own friend. There's almost nobody in my life I can do stuff with.

Whenever I'm in one of these moods on here, I'm typically encouraged to get a job working in a fast food joint. You all know by now that my parents won't let me, but even if I was allowed to get a job at a restaurant, would I even have the time? If I was working 18 hours a week, I would be even more stressed out with my current school schedule. I've seen firsthand what happened with my sister when she was being schedule for nearly 30 hours almost every week, and she was only taking a part-time course load back then! Maybe if I dropped a class that would help? Even then, my parents still wouldn't allow either to happen.

A big thing that's been nagging at me with my course load is how my mom and sister tried talking me out of it. I hate admitting they were right, but they were right! :lol: This is more of a personal gripe with not achieving my goals, but what if I only take four classes per semester when I transfer? Actually, that might not be a terrible idea considering I still don't know what path I want to go down. I'm already ahead by what, 2 years? I do need to relax a bit with graduating ASAP. This is one of the few times my mom is right on something with school.

So yeah, after spending about 30-40 minutes writing this, I feel better. I always say the same shit every single week, and I'm sure most of you get annoyed when I whine about my life. I just really need to get this stuff out of my head because you guys are basically the only emotional support I can talk to about issues like this. I know things will eventually get better, but the past month has been hell for me. Even when I get teased on here, I really can't stress enough how much I appreciate each and every one of you :) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If anyone has taken an introductory statistics course I could really use your help... I can even pay back in however many likes my free account allows but I'm so tired and I'm struggling with a concept for my mid term. We had an instructor-change a few weeks ago and in the transition we had a substitute come in and with it all we missed a few details and I'm really struggling to understand them. 

I've got questions asking something like 

What z-score value cuts off the highest 9 percent

or

What is the percent found in a given region where the z-score is smaller than 1.13

I know it comes down to converting z scores to percentages, but I really don't understand how to do that. Does anyone know by any chance...

yikes okay a ran into another question type that keeps stumping me

Find the missing parameter.
σ = 16, 20% below 100; μ = ?

Is this problem on a normal curve? I'm learning about Z-scores in my Stats class right now, but what I'm learning is nothing on this level :lol: 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Is this problem on a normal curve? I'm learning about Z-scores in my Stats class right now, but what I'm learning is nothing on this level :lol: 

Yea it's on a normal curve. So the 68/95/99.7 rules apply but I don't get how to convert that to z scores that aren't exactly 1,2, or 3

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Fuck it, I'm too stressed to sleep, so I'm gonna be ranting here. This post might not be the most coherently-flowing, but you should get the gist. As I'm tearing my pieces of paper from that first picture over my garbage, I just... gah. I don't know how to start this post. What the fuck even is my life? School has been stressing me out more and more. This is legitimately the first semester where I'm exhausted. My day basically starts at 9 AM, and classes take anywhere from 3 and a half hours to 5 and a half hours between commuting and being in classes. Even when I have a 90 minute break two days per week, I take that time to eat breakfast/lunch and relax before nearly two hours of listening to a lecture where I breeze through almost every problem. Then what happens when I get home about a quarter to three? I relax! After sitting in a classroom for two hours, the last thing I want to do is more schoolwoork! Maybe in about half an hour or an hour I'll start my homework. Oh, but my homework is too time consuming! On Wednesday, I spent over two hours on pre-calc homework, and yesterday I spent over an hour doing homework and still didn't finish it! I haven't even started my statistics homework for the week, still have to complete a discussion in psychology, practice my speech for next Thursday (not to mention make a Powerpoint for it), and study for a philosophy exam on Wednesday that I'm totally clueless about. I also forgot to mention I have to write a 5-6 page paper for that class which is due in about three weeks. There is way too much shit on my plate academically, yet I can't withdraw from any of those classes because my mom won't allow it. I handled four classes fine last semester, and I could probably handle five classes fine if they weren't all so time consuming. Looking back, I can honestly say I have never spent more than 4-5 hours in a single week on homework. I have already spent nearly six hours on homework this week, and I haven't even touched two of my classes. Now, why can't I do homework at night? Well, there's too much noise in my house until about 9 PM, and it's simply not the right time for me personally. I have dinner, take a shower, have another snack before bed, and play around online. That mood just extends into the night, though I have done plenty of late night study sessions in the past. Not this semester though! I mean, I was going to finish up my pre-calc homework tonight, but then I got so caught up in my notebook :lol: 

This feeling of exhaustion just looms over my entire day. Then when I'm done with homework on Friday/Saturday and have nothing to do, I feel incredibly strange yet do nothing to fix it. I mean, what could I possibly do to fix it? School has been leaving me with no motivation. I have done almost nothing recreational over the past month. I've made four trips to the movies, two of which were after the first week of school on a four day weekend. My other two trips were basically spur of the moment decisions, and it's honestly a miracle they even happened. Outside of those, Monday-Thursday is simply going to school and back, making dinner or getting fast food/takeout, and doing homework. I don't even watch much stuff at home anymore! People on here have given me suggestions about what I could do in my spare time before, so forgive me if it feels like I've ignored all that. However, I really can't find things to do in my area. I don't have friends, so doing stuff like bowling is out. There aren't many avenues for teens to meet outside of high school here, which I unfortunately have graduated from and can't partake in any extracurricular actives the school system offers to homeschooled students. You may think that I can do stuff with my family, but that really isn't the case. My dad is always working overtime, and it's been impossible to see a movie or go to a theme park with him. My mom is just glad to have the weekend to relax and likes to go shopping, and I almost always tag along even if it's not the most exciting thing because I like to spend time with her. My sister is in her own phase of wanting independence and has basically ignored me for about 9 months now between her schoolwork, a job, and own friend. There's almost nobody in my life I can do stuff with.

Whenever I'm in one of these moods on here, I'm typically encouraged to get a job working in a fast food joint. You all know by now that my parents won't let me, but even if I was allowed to get a job at a restaurant, would I even have the time? If I was working 18 hours a week, I would be even more stressed out with my current school schedule. I've seen firsthand what happened with my sister when she was being schedule for nearly 30 hours almost every week, and she was only taking a part-time course load back then! Maybe if I dropped a class that would help? Even then, my parents still wouldn't allow either to happen.

A big thing that's been nagging at me with my course load is how my mom and sister tried talking me out of it. I hate admitting they were right, but they were right! :lol: This is more of a personal gripe with not achieving my goals, but what if I only take four classes per semester when I transfer? Actually, that might not be a terrible idea considering I still don't know what path I want to go down. I'm already ahead by what, 2 years? I do need to relax a bit with graduating ASAP. This is one of the few times my mom is right on something with school.

So yeah, after spending about 30-40 minutes writing this, I feel better. I always say the same shit every single week, and I'm sure most of you get annoyed when I whine about my life. I just really need to get this stuff out of my head because you guys are basically the only emotional support I can talk to about issues like this. I know things will eventually get better, but the past month has been hell for me. Even when I get teased on here, I really can't stress enough how much I appreciate each and every one of you :) 

Dude, I've been feeling a lot of the similar stuff lately, especially academically. If it was easy everybody would do it and as far as I know you have been able to manage heavy workloads in the past. 

Just to help out, while I didn't get the best mark in calc, I did pretty damn well in pre-calc if you ever need any help with that. And considering I guess we're both taking stats you can always message me if you need help with something you're overwhelmed with

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Yea it's on a normal curve. So the 68/95/99.7 rules apply but I don't get how to convert that to z scores that aren't exactly 1,2, or 3

Looking through my syllabus and textbook, I don't think I'm going to be learning about that at all :kitschjob: Damn you Pearson.

• Like 1

I'd definitely consider dropping down to four classes. Shit's tough as is. I couldn't fathom doing more than that. There's no point taking on more than you can handle to try get ahead if it's gonna come back and bite you in the ass.  This is probably shit advice, but what I find helps is to break everything down into smaller parts. Basically compartmentalise everything as much as possible then chip away at it till it's done. Focus on one thing, get that done, move onto the next. It helps it feel less overwhelming (for me, anyway). Solving a hundred smaller problems vs one big, fuck-off huge one.

It might be worth talking to your parents about that dropping one of the classes. You say that they're just gonna say no, and maybe that's true, but maybe they'll surprise you. IDK, you know them better than me. Worth a shot at least.

Can't really help on the work front. I work full-time between semesters, and pretty much do nothing but school in-between. I'm pretty lucky there. Not everyone gets that opportunity.

• Thanks 1