Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

My town hasn't played an A24 movie since Ex Machina. I really like a lot of their output, but now I groan whenever I see that they're distributing something I want to see because I'm going to have to carve out 90 minutes (minimum, and that's just one way) to drive to a theater showing it... if that theater even gets it. That's why I had to wait 'til this week to finally see The Florida Project (which was damn good!).

But we did get I, Tonya this weekend, so at least Neon isn't stiffing us (or vice versa).

Also, not to go all Han-like (which means I'm totally about to go all Han-like), but I think we should institute a new rule for all elderly moviegoers to not do anything they'd bitch about if teenagers were doing it. I saw The Shape of Water again today and got yanked right out of the movie about five minutes in when an older couple used their phones and spoke at fairly elevated volume trying to find their seats (and it was a 70-seat auditorium without stadium seating). Sorry to be a jerk, but if you know you're going to need extra time and extra light to find seats, perhaps try getting there before the advertised start time?

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aabattery said:

The King of Comedy is some juicy stuff. Good stuff.

Half way through my Scorsese marathon now. 12 down, 12 to go.

Saw that a few months ago for the first time.  Even “lesser” Scoresese is really really good 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Also, not to go all Han-like (which means I'm totally about to go all Han-like), but I think we should institute a new rule for all elderly moviegoers to not do anything they'd bitch about if teenagers were doing it. I saw The Shape of Water again today and got yanked right out of the movie about five minutes in when an older couple used their phones and spoke at fairly elevated volume trying to find their seats (and it was a 70-seat auditorium without stadium seating). Sorry to be a jerk, but if you know you're going to need extra time and extra light to find seats, perhaps try getting there before the advertised start time?

Elderly people basically are teenagers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

This happened to me yesterday at Jumanji. A couple behind me came in 10 minutes into the movie and loudly spoke when finding and settling into their seats.

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Elderly people basically are teenagers. 

I agree with this. Humans nowadays only live to be up to 100 most times, and I think that is a very short amount of time in the span of eternity. That's why I think we are young, even when we are aging.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This happened to me yesterday at Jumanji. A couple behind me came in 10 minutes into the movie and loudly spoke when finding and settling into their seats.

Your theater has assigned seating though, right? None of my local theaters - not even the $15-a-seat pub cinema - do, so it's even weirder when people struggle to find seats, especially when the auditorium has just 70 of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I feel like this board would understand my watching a weird rom com this Saturday night just for one actor. 

I'm gonna see a movie where James Corden plays a wisecracking bunny in theaters because an actress from Star Wars is in it. I understand why you do what you do.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

My favorite thing about seeing Three Billboards today was this older couple during A Quiet Place trailer, when the kid knocks over the lantern, she gasps and yells "YOU CAN'T DO THAT TO ME"

Earlier this week at Phantom Thread, the old guy in front of me yelled "BOO!" right before the red light :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Your theater has assigned seating though, right? None of my local theaters - not even the $15-a-seat pub cinema - do, so it's even weirder when people struggle to find seats, especially when the auditorium has just 70 of them.

You'd be surprised; I've seen people go in seats on the opposite side of the aisle even though every seat has its number lit up below the cupholder. People just cannot shut the fuck up.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Brad Jones loved it :thinking: (probably spoilers)

I already saw his review. I was genuinely surprised by how much he liked it, and my tastes generally line up with Brad's 75% of the time, so I hope this falls into the 75%. I'm at least glad this isn't some Alvin or Smurfs level disaster, especially for Daisy's, Domnhall's, and Rose's sake.

Watched Gangs of New York tonight because it was one of the last major DDL joints and Marty movies I hadn't seen and YIKES. I love you Marty but this might be his worst major movie ever. Just a total mess of ideas that don't go anywhere. Brings up alot of stuff about race, class, country, pride, and I don't even know what and just doesn't say anything about it. It can't even decide whether Bill the Butcher is a noble, complex bad guy or just pure evil from scene to scene. Also, Cameron Diaz is the worst. Also also, this movie ends up being a sympathetic ode to rioters and the gangs but uhhhhhh they lynched 120 black people while shouting racial epithets?? DDL is awesome, and the production design and scope is so ambitious and outstanding. But otherwise this felt like a complete misfire.

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Watched Gangs of New York tonight because it was one of the last major DDL joints and Marty movies I hadn't seen and YIKES. I love you Marty but this might be his worst major movie ever. Just a total mess of ideas that don't go anywhere. Brings up alot of stuff about race, class, country, pride, and I don't even know what and just doesn't say anything about it. It can't even decide whether Bill the Butcher is a noble, complex bad guy or just pure evil from scene to scene. Also, Cameron Diaz is the worst. Also also, this movie ends up being a sympathetic ode to rioters and the gangs but uhhhhhh they lynched 120 black people while shouting racial epithets?? DDL is awesome, and the production design and scope is so ambitious and outstanding. But otherwise this felt like a complete misfire.

Have you seen Age of Innocence?