That One Girl

Pet Sematary | April 5, 2019 | Paramount | Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer (Starry Eyes) to direct

11 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It doesn't stop dropping at RT, now at 81%.

I'm starting getting desperate that it may miss the fresh certified, I thought it was locked for a 85%+ after that first bunch of reviews.

I'm gonna have a meltdown if it is another Blair Witch situation. 

I woundt worry too much. It has an average score of 7.02/10 which is very good for the horror genre. Cant imagine that it woundt get a certified fresh at this point.

• Like 3

Oh man, already down to 62 on MetaCritic after 21 reviews. 6.93 avg on RT. It probably won't be as big of a nosedive as Blair Witch, but it's going doooown. Obviously I'm still excited to see it (tomorrow in fact), but it's not really looking like it'll be a standout in the genre like it did after the early reactions.

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Oh man, already down to 62 on MetaCritic after 21 reviews. 6.93 avg on RT. It probably won't be as big of a nosedive as Blair Witch, but it's going doooown. Obviously I'm still excited to see it (tomorrow in fact), but it's not really looking like it'll be a standout in the genre like it did after the early reactions.

As Brainbug said, I wouldn't worry. If interested moviegoers are informing themselves they will see the 80% at RT and that critics liked it better than the original. That's good enough to buy a ticket.
To my surprise the film of 1989 has only 50% at RT with an Audience Score of only 59% and it still made 131M (inflation-adjusted total result, USA only).

7 minutes ago, el sid said:

As Brainbug said, I wouldn't worry. If interested moviegoers are informing themselves they will see the 80% at RT and that critics liked it better than the original. That's good enough to buy a ticket.
To my surprise the film of 1989 has only 50% at RT with an Audience Score of only 59% and it still made 131M (inflation-adjusted total result, USA only).

The 1989 film is also just not very good and more funny than scary tbh.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

Disagree vehemently.

Thats totally fair. I know that the film has a ton of fans but it just didnt work for me sadly. So i hope this remake turns things around for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

The 1989 film is also just not very good and more funny than scary tbh.

I wouldn't say I was totally shocked but some impressions were scaring me. I didn't expect so graphic shots (his wife at the end, the neighbor, puh) and the story overall is so dark...Some things are hopefully better this time but the rest worked for me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, el sid said:

I wouldn't say I was totally shocked but some impressions were scaring me. I didn't expect so graphic shots (his wife at the end, the neighbor, puh) and the story overall is so dark...Some things are hopefully better this time but the rest worked for me.

To be fair, i watched it like 4 years ago and might have been not in the right mood for it. Also, horror films dont really scare me so i look at them more from a clinical viewpoint: Cinematography, acting, lighting, pacing, general enjoyment etc.

When i think about it, i should probably give the 89 film a rewatch. Ill see the new film tomorrow and could see the older one diretly after it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I woundt worry too much. It has an average score of 7.02/10 which is very good for the horror genre. Cant imagine that it woundt get a certified fresh at this point.

It's probably gonna miss certified. It's 76% with 6.61 average now. Will still be fresh though.

Edited by nevermore

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

This is why people need to be wary of glowing reviews coming out of a premiere. SXSW was a wild, super excited crowd - that sort of atmosphere affects how critics in the theater see the film. Now that people are seeing it in the wild, its flaws are more apparent.

Edited by ViewerAnon

17 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

This is why people need to be wary of glowing reviews coming out of a premiere. SXSW was a wild, super excited crowd - that sort of atmosphere affects how critics in the theater see the film. Now that people are seeing it in the wild, its flaws are more apparent.

Yep, the score drop often happens. 

Personally, i dont take the RT score in the horror genre for 1 second seriously. There is no genre thats more subjective than horror imo and i love some horror films which have sub 40% scores while i hated others that had 85%+.

9 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Personally, i dont take the RT score in the horror genre for 1 second seriously. There is no genre thats more subjective than horror imo and i love some horror films which have sub 40% scores while i hated others that had 85%+.

Unfortunately, RT score affects a lot legs for the Horror genre, you'll have to work hard to find a horror movie that had decent legs (2.5x+) that got trash reviews, something that is far easier to other genres, comedies/SH/dramas can always overcome a bad RT score and still develop good legs. 

Just now, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Unfortunately, RT score affects a lot legs for the Horror genre, you'll have to work hard to find a horror movie that had decent legs (2.5x+) that got trash reviews, something that is far easier to other genres, comedies/SH/dramas can always overcome a bad RT score and still develop good legs. 

Reviews impact the OW, but not the legs. Legs are entirely dependant on WOM and demand among the GA. And yes, horror films that got trashed by critics normaly fall off a cliff, but not always (The Grudge for example or The Purge sequels).

However, Pet Sematary is in the 70s on RT and that is totally fine for a horror film. As long as that tomato is red, the reviews wont damage the films potential.