aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

Sometimes I really don't understand Deadline's calculations... They say "Thor Ragnarok is looking at a $37M-$42M Friday which would put it in a $105M-$110M opening weekend" and then they say 41M Friday which is the top of their prior range translates to a 104M weekend.

Edited by Rumpot
  • Disbelief 1

My biggest issue with Thor is how (I hate to use this word) Marvelized it feels.  I can tell Taika is a good director from it, and there are moments where it truly shines, but it ends up feeling like a product with how many jokes it forces in and how dull a lot of moments are.  If Taika was allowed to make this movie with zero involvement from Marvel, then I think the movie would’ve been far better

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

My biggest issue with Thor is how (I hate to use this word) Marvelized it feels.  I can tell Taika is a good director from it, and there are moments where it truly shines, but it ends up feeling like a product with how many jokes it forces in and how dull a lot of moments are.  If Taika was allowed to make this movie with zero involvement from Marvel, then I think the movie would’ve been far better

That Marvelization helps get butts in seats. And yes it’s not for everyone.

Friday is 100% being underestimated. More like near 50M, honestly. And I believe it will have a decent surge from real Friday on Saturday, given the strength of the wom. Having seen it myself, it is a very rewatchable and family friendly film. Despite the Ragnarok title, it's actually hands down the funniest CBM of the year (thanks to Taika's wonderful humor). Although, sometimes, that is a disadvantage as it works against actual attempts at building tension and drama, or any kind of true emotional connection to some of what's going on.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So where would you rank it in the MCU?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Sometimes I really don't understand Deadline's calculations... They say "Thor Ragnarok is looking at a $37M-$42M Friday which would put it in a $105M-$110M opening weekend" and then they say 41M Friday which is the top of their prior range translates to a 104M weekend.

Deadline has a typical American relationship with math.

Translate: They suck at math

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

we should be upset about the fact that he's dissing Ultron more than anything guys 

Ultron is legitimately a good movie and the second best Avengers movie. CW is third best.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2