aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I may be stating the obvious to anyone who's not dumb/brainwashed, but we finally have concrete evidence that the ridiculously high and underserved RT scores for Marvel movies are a result of payola and shading dealings. 

Because one newspaper didn't get access to a movie over a spat? That somehow affects critics across the country and abroad?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

You had two leaders in Cap and Stark who respected each other but were at odds. Both guys were alpha males that had their own priorities and mindsets and they weren't going to budge. That was the true "war" in this movie. They didn't want to actually kill each other and neither did their respective partners who took their side (well, except for Black Panther who wanted to end Bucky lol). There were a lot of variables involved here. Never mind the Accords but in Stark's case he saw Bucky as an alleged psychotic terrorist that needed to be detained. He was almost shot in the face by him so he's seen what this guy is all about. He also needed to get Steve back to fulfill his pledge to Ross within 12 hours, otherwise Steve ran the risk of getting hunted and killed by JSOC and possibly spreading the conflict beyond the airport. Stark respects Cap and considers him a friend so of course he doesn't want this to happen and tries to talk him down and when that didn't work bring him in by force.

On the flipside Cap's priority was to get to the Hydra base as soon as possible to stop the other Winter Soldiers from being set free and he didn't have time to sit down with Stark and Ross to make them understand what was going on. And he sure as hell didn't want to turn his best friend over to Ross who would most likely lock him up and throw away the key whether he was innocent in these circumstances or not. And Stark wasn't going to believe anything Cap said anyway. He thought his judgment has been compromised by Bucky, which it had been.
It was a "war" in the sense that ideas and rash actions fractured a team. There was never going to be a "war" in the sense that blood was going to be spilled lol.

1 minute ago, ACSlater said:

Think about the consequences of their actions. The Avengers were meant to be the best of humanity. 

Civil War just showed everyone that they are just as human and petty. The Avengers are done at this point and I think I am looking forward to IW the most to just see how they come back.

I understand and I agree with all of that. And like I said before, the greater picture in CW was the theme of forgiveness. You can see that with how Cap didn't kill Tony at the end, and how he sent him a letter saying that he's not mad, and then Tony helped him back despite everything that happened; as well as Panther not killing Zemo nor letting Zemo kill himself. Forgiveness was the theme of the movie, and it makes sense.

Again, I simply feel like the movie needed an extra umph to it to give it more impact. I think that killing off one of the least relevant characters like War Machine or Hawkeye, even if on accident, would have done just that.

I'll also admit that expectations of what I thought the movie was going to be did influence my opinion a lot. The combo of Cap's death at the end of the Civil War comics + the dark trailers + the sense that it would be the perfect time for one of the main Marvel characters to die (even if they were slated to reappear in Infinity War) definitely made me anticipate at least one death. Maybe I'm still trying to cope with the fact that I didn't get that. Though I still got a very good movie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

RT scores for Marvel movies are a result of payola and shading dealings. 

Yes, I do think Disney is wrong to block a publication from reviewing their movies, especially for such political reasons. From what I’ve read, it’s Bob Iger’s political ambitions that has them upset at how LA Times covered their relationship with the Anaheim government. 

But how does this prove anything about Marvel movie RT scores? It’s one publication, and they couldn’t even see the movie to give it a rating, that for all Disney knows could’ve been positive. Also, it’s not like they won’t see the movie and write a review, they were not invited to the screening (still very wrong though). Has something like this happened for the other Marvel movies? I don’t remember any news about Disney blocking critics from screening The Avengers or GotG...

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

TFA wasn't even two years ago; give it time before saying if their careers flopped lmao

Exactly. Boyega has the illustrious and next blockbuster Pacific Rim 2, and Ridley and Gleeson star in the likely animated event of 2018, Peter Rabbit.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, AJ2k said:

Because one newspaper didn't get access to a movie over a spat? That somehow affects critics across the country and abroad?

Not to mention I saw zero mention of "payola"

• Like 1

Lady Bird is looking at one of the biggest PTAs of the year, wow. And it should expand well too. Very happy for Saoirse Ronan and Greta Gerwig.

Pretty rough for Last Flag Flying, though. It's not even gonna make $2M in total. Specialty fare that doesn't have either the reviews or the awards buzz (or both) is just flopping hard this fall.

14 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

I may be stating the obvious to anyone who's not dumb/brainwashed, but we finally have concrete evidence that the ridiculously high and underserved RT scores for Marvel movies are a result of payola and shading dealings. 

How when that is just one publication out of many others who saw it (plus we dont even know what score they would give it)

Also if they were that desperate to see it im sure the reviewer could of seen it when WB  flew reviewers out to London for JL stuff and put them up in a hotel they'd have some spare cash then, seeing as Ragnarok has been out since 25th of October in the UK

Also funny they waited until know to say it seeing as most saw it back in October 

Edited by Ryaner90
  • Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

It’s real shady on their end.  You can’t deny that.

Maybe, but to say this is evidence of Marvel's "undeserved high scores" in that critics are being bribed is really stupid. Do you know how hard it would be to keep a lid on something like that in this day and age?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, XO21 said:

After TFA the careers of the new cast went nowhere so cheers

What? Last time I checked Boyega has a big budget action movie he is starring in coming up (along with a big role in the very well reviewed Detroit) and Ridley is in a big budget remake of Murder on the Orient Express.  

Also, both had a small sequel to shoot right after called The Last Jedi.  Other than that neither of them have done anything.  Lol.  

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What? Last time I checked Boyega has a big budget action movie he is starring in coming up (along with a big role in the very well reviewed Detroit) and Ridley is in a big budget remake of Murder on the Orient Express.  

Also, both had a small sequel to shoot right after called The Last Jedi.  Other than that neither of them have done anything.  Lol.  

I liks Boyega but being in the Pacific Rim

seauel isn't really something to brag about 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Just b/c it has space doesn't mean folks will watch it...we learned that lesson already in August and October...it seems there are fewer and fewer folks who will head to the theaters on weekends when there's nothing they want to watch...

That would make sense if it hadn't opened to $100m+ and has stellar reviews and is a fun movie on top of it.  Also, the data points to this skewing to all demographics and doing very well with females.

Why won't folks want to watch it and what in the world does that have to do with anything in August and October?

• Like 2

Just now, EmpireCity said:

That would make sense if it hadn't opened to $100m+ and has stellar reviews and is a fun movie on top of it.  Also, the data points to this skewing to all demographics and doing very well with females.

Why won't folks want to watch it and what in the world does that have to do with anything in August and October?

Numbers?