BadAtGender

Monday 6 Nov. Numbers: Thor $8.25m (pg6)

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How else do you explain the Sat/Sun holds though? All of the MCU films that have held on a comparable level on their first Sat/Sun's have had 2.65x+ multis. Lots of people may have argued something like CW would get great WOM, but when you get down to it the first Sat/Sun holds were already showing that might not be the case. 

Pretty empty Friday matinees at theaters that had 5-6 screens dedicated just to Thor...so, fans hit the movie when it was convenient b/c they had so many seat options available for the opening - and they hit it in the evenings (when Thor got 6-7 showings, even more than the original screens given), and all weekend...

I mean, not saying that IS the reason, but it could be as likely as any other...it's been awhile (well, since It and before that, who knows) since theaters really had nothing to show but 1.5 movies (since Bad Moms was only an evening seller)...

• Like 1

All I'm saying is Civil War is really the only film in the whole MCU you could argue that reception was very positive, yet the multi failed to hit that 2.65x threshold. So the odds seem highly in favor of TR hitting it to me. And TR has already behaved much less frontloaded than CW. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

All I'm saying is Civil War is really the only film in the whole MCU you could argue that reception was very positive, yet the multi failed to hit that 2.65x threshold. So the odds seem highly in favor of TR hitting it to me. And TR has already behaved much less frontloaded than CW. 

Kinda...1st Monday as a percent of opening Friday's total BO is almost identical between Cap 3 and Thor 3...so, I wouldn't say it's way less front-loaded til we see how the whole week and next week go...

Thor Rag just fell 75% on Monday.  Is that really a great hold?  I'm not sure this indicates great WOM or if it indicates that all the loonies rushed out to see it the first weekend.  

It's also hard to compare it to any film right now because of Veteran/Remembrance Day falling on a Saturday.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Kinda...1st Monday as a percent of opening Friday's total BO is almost identical between Cap 3 and Thor 3...so, I wouldn't say it's way less front-loaded til we see how the whole week and next week go...

That seems like kind of an odd comparison though. Wouldn't previews as a percentage of OW be a lot better indicator of front-loadedness? When it comes to that TR was right on par with the likes of GotG2, Cap 2, DS, and Ant-Man which were all around 11-12% of the OW, opposed to CW's 14%. Granted SMH had a similar share as CW and went on to a way better multi obviously, so that's not a perfect indicator, but still bodes well for TR for now. 

Also, I wouldn't say the WOM on this is outstanding just yet.  The Marvel loonies are the ones rushing out to see it first.  They are going to like it of course.  But the reviews for it on imdb are kind of split.  I'm just saying that this isn't the panacea that everyone is claiming it to be.  The Monday drop is pretty shit.  And while the first Monday doesn't really mean all that much, it certainly dropped more than CW and DS.

• Like 4

Just now, The Last baumer said:

Also, I wouldn't say the WOM on this is outstanding just yet.  The Marvel loonies are the ones rushing out to see it first.  They are going to like it of course.  But the reviews for it on imdb are kind of split.  I'm just saying that this isn't the panacea that everyone is claiming it to be.  The Monday drop is pretty shit.  And while the first Monday doesn't really mean all that much, it certainly dropped more than CW and DS.

It dropped 3.7% more than DS with a way bigger Sunday gross. That hardly qualifies as a "shit" hold considering that movie cleared a 2.7x multi. Weren't you waging a similar argument about SMH's frontloadedness after the OW and that it wasn't getting more than 2.5x? It seems like you are always eager to hope for the worst with MCU...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It dropped 3.7% more than DS with a way bigger Sunday gross. That hardly qualifies as a "shit" hold considering that movie cleared a 2.7x multi. Weren't you waging a similar argument about SMH's frontloadedness after the OW and that it wasn't getting more than 2.5x? It seems like you are always eager to hope for the worst with MCU...

It seems like I don't get loonie with the multipliers.  I didn't make the right call with SMH.  Big deal.  There are plenty of other Marvel movies that were the reason for my prediction.  And a 75% Monday drop doesn't indicate a great hold or outstanding WOM.  I concede that it's too soon to say whether the WOM is good or not but it's also too early to say it's going to have outstanding WOM also.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

It's rating on Imdb is far higher than WW and SMH. The same is for Google users. Its user rating on RT is nearly same as WW and SMH. How is that split?

Early days to call the WOM and ratings outstanding sure as these things tend to go down a bit after release. But I would call the reviews good if not anything else. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's rating on Imdb is far higher than WW and SMH. The same is for Google users. Its user rating on RT is nearly same as WW and SMH. How is that split?

Early days to call the WOM and ratings outstanding sure as these things tend to go down a bit after release. But I would call the reviews good if not anything else. 

It's rating is high because it's the first weekend.  

And if you read the reviews on imdb, chronologically, in other words, not using IMDB's flawed and biased system, the reviews are split.

It's okay everyone, you can love the film, no one can take that away from you.  But it's not loved by everyone else.  Not yet anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501632/reviews?filter=chrono

1 minute ago, The Last baumer said:

It seems like I don't get loonie with the multipliers.  I didn't make the right call with SMH.  Big deal.  There are plenty of other Marvel movies that were the reason for my prediction.  And a 75% Monday drop doesn't indicate a great hold or outstanding WOM.  I concede that it's too soon to say whether the WOM is good or not but it's also too early to say it's going to have outstanding WOM also.

I'm currently predicting a multi between 2.65-2.7x, i.e. below the MCU average, and that's getting "loonie?" Brad over at BOM seems to be thinking it will hit 2.8x or so in his weekend write up. Better throw him in the asylum! The fact is, that CW is the one and only outlier in terms of critically acclaimed MCU films that missed that 2.65x mark. Again, the odds are far more in favor for Thor clearing 2.6x with ease than going lower than that. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I'm currently predicting a multi between 2.65-2.7x, i.e. below the MCU average, and that's getting "loonie?" Brad over at BOM seems to be thinking it will hit 2.8x or so in his weekend write up. Better throw him in the asylum! The fact is, that CW is the one and only outlier in terms of critically acclaimed MCU films that missed that 2.65x mark. Again, the odds are far more in favor for Thor clearing 2.6x with ease than going lower than that. 

How long have you been at the forums?  Do I really need to explain to you what I mean by saying "loonie"?  

The odds were also in the favour of Civil War of clearing 2.6 as well.  :redcapes:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

It's rating is high because it's the first weekend.  

And if you read the reviews on imdb, chronologically, in other words, not using IMDB's flawed and biased system, the reviews are split.

It's okay everyone, you can love the film, no one can take that away from you.  But it's not loved by everyone else.  Not yet anyway.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501632/reviews?filter=chrono

It's ratings out of the gate is similar to WW and SMH (mayyyyyybe 1-2 points lower). Those 2 still ended with very high rating. Any reason this would fall harder then them?

And nah not reading imdb user reviews because a)spoilers and b)too much work. And Imdb rating system is flawed I agree with that 100% but the review section is not? It's not like anyone cant make an account and write a few lines. I still go by professional critics and the reviews by them are as strong as WW/SMH and thats all I need to know. 

And what a non statement about not being loved by everyone else. That is true of every movie and no one is saying that of this movie. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

It's ratings out of the gate is similar to WW and SMH (mayyyyyybe 1-2 points lower). Those 2 still ended with very high rating. Any reason this would fall harder then them?

And nah not reading imdb user reviews because a)spoilers and b)too much work. And Imdb rating system is flawed I agree with that 100% but the review section is not? It's not like anyone cant make an account and write a few lines. I still go by professional critics and the reviews by them are as strong as WW/SMH and thats all I need to know. 

And what a non statement about not being loved by everyone else. That is true of every movie and no one is saying that of this movie. 

Any reason?  Sure.  It's Thor and it's not a great film.  Again, you guys can like it, that's fine, but it's agreed across the board that this isn't going to play any different than a typical fan rush of a movie that not many other people really care about.  

The only thing I can see realistically hurting TR's multi besides JL is somewhat of a need to have seen the first two films, both of which are some of the lesser successful MCU films. But even then, the majority of the humor and plot would still work if you haven't seen the prior two.