BadAtGender

Monday 6 Nov. Numbers: Thor $8.25m (pg6)

13 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Some school districts are out. My son doesn't have school on Friday, for example.

Yeah it makes a huge difference with kids anyway, I don’t know any kids who ever have school on Veteran’s Day and when I was a kid that was always a 4 day weekend. I can’t recall why but I think they did parent teacher conferences or something the other day. All I know is I loved November because of two 4-day weekends. 

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

This. There have been plenty of examples in recent memory where CBMs dropped less than 55% against a new CBM (GOTG2, WW, CW, Deadpool, Ant-Man, etc)

Yes, when the BO and screen count had already reduced substantialy.

Its a different matter when the screen counts for both are high.

Edited by AndyK

58 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Yea Date Day Holiday States
2017 10 Nov Fri Veterans Day Holiday National except MA, RI & WI
11 Nov Sat Veterans Day National except WI
13 Nov Mon Veterans Day Holiday RI

Rhode Island is a little weird with holidays. This is the only state to "celebrate" VJ Day, with banks and state offices closing. I asked a few locals about it and they had no idea why they do. 

• Thanks 1

Could be underestimating JL's effect on it, but I have a feeling TR could end up finishing within like 5m of SMH both DOM and OS. Hope it can beat it DOM, even if it's by 1m.  

Incidentally, 335 DOM and 550 OS is right around where I'm expecting JL to land too. Would be kind of funny to see all three perform nearly identically both DOM and OS. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Could be underestimating JL's effect on it, but I have a feeling TR could end up finishing within like 5m of SMH both DOM and OS. Hope it can beat it DOM, even if it's by 1m.  

Best case multiplier is probably Guardians 2's 2.66, which gives you $326.4M. I still think it falls closer to 2.6 but anything over $300M for a third Thor flick is obviously a huge win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Best case multiplier is probably Guardians 2's 2.66, which gives you $326.4M. I still think it falls closer to 2.6 but anything over $300M for a third Thor flick is obviously a huge win. 

I don't think below the MCU average multi should be considered a "best case" for an MCU film that looks to be garnering top tier early WOM. JL is the biggest argument against TR hitting 2.7x, imo. The competition DS faced last November was possibly a little stronger than this year's. Beasts+Moana+Trolls combine for a higher cume than JL+Coco likely will. Granted, none of those were quite as direct of competition as a fellow CBM, but they were all still competition for a big demo of DS's. So I think the impact of JL on TR could be being overestimated. Two 330m+ CBMs could certainly coexist in this month given how relatively weak all the other competition is. 

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

People always say that fellow superhero films are going to collapse whenever another superhero film opens but that is definitely not the standard.

The only time that I can think of where it actually happened is when TDK opened in Hellboy 2s second weekend.

5 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I don't entirely buy into this yet, in part because we seem to get that reaction a lot after OW for a Marvel movie (or, for that matter, any fan-driven movie that satisfies its fans). 

How else do you explain the Sat/Sun holds though? All of the MCU films that have held on a comparable level on their first Sat/Sun's have had 2.65x+ multis. Lots of people may have argued something like CW had great WOM and would get a good multi, but when you get down to it the first Sat/Sun holds were already showing that might not be the case. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

I don't entirely buy into this yet, in part because we seem to get that reaction a lot after OW for a Marvel movie (or, for that matter, any fan-driven movie that satisfies its fans). 

Also there is a resistance force after so many movie that WOM cannot really reverse, Guardian of the galaxy, spiderman, etc... were clearly movie you could watch without asking yourself if you should watch x or y before.

Great word of mouth for a Logan or Civil War can just limit the drops, cannot really transfer into great multiplier because just a limit amount of people feel they can see the movie.

Thor 3 seem to be in the middle of those 2 extreme, look like fun with a bit of a new setting that do not require to have seen Thor 1-2 necessarily or much of the entry, but still not a first entry either. Star wars can translate opening in great legs with WOM because, well the base of people that have seen them is just so vast.

The sat/sun hold seem a better metric to use than WOM on that one.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

How else do you explain the Sat/Sun holds though? All of the MCU films that have held on a comparable level on their first Sat/Sun's have had 2.65x+ multis. Lots of people may have argued something like CW would get great WOM, but when you get down to it the first Sat/Sun holds were already showing that might not be the case. 

I don't know whether to take anything or not from the day-to-day holds. It's a very different time of year and every release behaves differently anyway. Maybe it'll have strong legs, maybe it won't. IMO the jury's still out.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think below the MCU average multi should be considered a "best case" for an MCU film that looks to be garnering top tier early WOM. JL is the biggest argument against TR hitting 2.7x, imo. The competition DS faced last November was possibly a little stronger than this year's. Beasts+Moana+Trolls combine for a higher cume than JL+Coco likely will. Granted, none of those were quite as direct of competition as a fellow CBM, but they were all still competition for a big demo of DS's. So I think the impact of JL on TR could be being overestimated. Two 330m+ CBMs could certainly coexist in this month given how relatively weak all the other competition is. 

What I wonder about with this film is WOM vs front-loading. It's not a fresh character like Ant-Man or Strange. It's an established Marvel character sequel that had a massive opening. Justice League is a part of the equation, but I share the thought that Justice League won't wipe Thor out. Sure, it'll hurt the third weekend but they can co-exist and it has the holiday to rebound from whatever initial hit it takes. I certainly don't think 2.7 is impossible, but again, I just see it falling closer to 2.6.

• Like 2