Impact

2012-Best Actress thread!

Is this a weak category this year or have I just seen nothing? I tried doing the "ideal nominees" and the only memorable lead performances that I've seen from women this year are Jennifer Lawrence for SLP and Hunger Games. Maybe Rachel Weisz was great in her movie but how many people saw that? 35?

A lot of the best ones or the ones with buzz are people like Marion Cotillard or Jessica Chastain or Emmanuelle Rive or Rachel Weisz or Naomi Watts but nobody has seen any of those movies.

Is this a weak category this year or have I just seen nothing? I tried doing the "ideal nominees" and the only memorable lead performances that I've seen from women this year are Jennifer Lawrence for SLP and Hunger Games. Maybe Rachel Weisz was great in her movie but how many people saw that? 35?

It's been extremely week for Hollywood, I've got 3 foreign nominees in my top. But factoring in foreign films it becomes one of the stronger years. Edited by riczhang

It's been extremely week for Hollywood, I've got 3 foreign nominees in my top. But factoring in foreign films it becomes one of the stronger years.

I think its one of the best years the OScars ever had.Perpective, it s funny ...

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

This writer suggests that Jennifer Lawrence's comments on acting might cost her votes. T&A on display A-OK http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jennifer-lawrence-calls-acting-stupid-relatively-speaking-71121 …

Sasha Stone@AwardsDaily

All the same I might keep Jennifer Lawrence quiet for the next few weeks. You know, just saying.

Well, Sasha didn't write the article. But still, Jen didn't dig on acting in saying that nor was she wrong. She said it's nothing in comparison to firefighters, et al. And it's not.Won't make a lick of difference. Because I'm guessing Academy voters aren't stupid and can, you know, actually READ.

• Like 1

In many other categories, yes. But, not actress.

I don't buy the " there aren't the usual suspects ( Nicole, Kate, Meryl, Cate yaddih, yaddah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) in actress category so it s weak year" rhetorics either.

I don't buy the " there aren't the usual suspects ( Nicole, Kate, Meryl, Cate yaddih, yaddah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) in actress category so it s weak year" rhetorics either.

It's not that. There really haven't been English language performances this year that've wowed me like Streep in The Iron Lady, Mirren in The Queen, Sidibe in Precious, and etc. have in the past. The best english language performance is Knightmare in Anna Karenina IMO, and I loathe her. The two great english language female lead performance this year have been Knightmare and Streep. #3 Lawrence already dips into unremarkable and just good territory.

I`m wondering if Chastain`s sure-fire bomb Mama coming out on Jan 18 will hurt her chances to win. Osually a piece of shit movie released during the voting period is a death knell. Ask Hathaway. That Bridezillas stinker she made with Kate Hudson turned her fortunes around.