That One Girl

BLUMHOUSE'S TRUTH OR DARE | April 13, 2018 | Universal | Lucy Hale, Tyler Posey

1 hour ago, Tree Was Never Really Here said:

except he's pretty much hit it every time.

Since Paranormal Activity, I count 28 Blum movies. Of those only TWO flopped. The Darkness, and Jem. That's it. The other 26 have been successful. That is a pretty good track record. 

That because you are looking on box office mojo ? Were you see only is best movie, those who tested (or their trailers tested) well enough to get a theatrical release, for 4-5m movies that is a very important factor. You do not see the flops that goes strait to video there or do so little in theater it is not tracked by mojo.

Blumhouse was involved in 67 movies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blumhouse_Productions#Films

24 made less than 1 million

14 made between 1m and 13 million

29 were giant success making over 25m

That around a bit over 50% success rate at doubling it's budget in theater, similar to Sony success rate, big difference is how giant Blumhouse successs are relative to how small is failure cost, not really is success rate I think.

It is very openly is business model doing a lot, to a fix price, and keep what stick on the wall, that mean not trying to fix or still release in theater those who didn't work.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

On the flip side, when your movie costs about the same as a tv show episode, do you need theatrical at all?

Maybe not, that a good point a 4M horror movie can maybe turn a profit direct on video/streaming or at least not loose money if it has the big name blumhouse usually get on them.

Just saying that is that a good movie that work in theater success rate do not seem higher than other productions company, how big is success are and how low is failure cost is what make is business model so special in my opinion, much more than the success rate.

Is loosing 3/4m on is failure and making 10m-50m-100m on is success, he does not need to bat for .333 to make a lot of profit and is closer to .500%

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That because you are looking on box office mojo ? Were you see only is best movie, those who tested (or their trailers tested) well enough to get a theatrical release, for 4-5m movies that is a very important factor. You do not see the flops that goes strait to video there or do so little in theater it is not tracked by mojo.

Blumhouse was involved in 67 movies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blumhouse_Productions#Films

24 made less than 1 million

14 made between 1m and 13 million

29 were giant success making over 25m

That around a bit over 50% success rate at doubling it's budget in theater, similar to Sony success rate, big difference is how giant Blumhouse successs are relative to how small is failure cost, not really is success rate I think.

It is very openly is business model doing a lot, to a fix price, and keep what stick on the wall, that mean not trying to fix or still release in theater those who didn't work.

yeah I was excluding the straight to DVD ones because I have no measure of how successful they were. It's perfectly possible for DVD movies to turn a profit you know :) 

8 minutes ago, Tree Was Never Really Here said:

yeah I was excluding the straight to DVD ones because I have no measure of how successful they were. It's perfectly possible for DVD movies to turn a profit you know :) 

Well it would be an assumption, but if someone with that good of a track record at the box office decide to go strait to video (and some of those with big name involved), we can think he did not "hit it" with those.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TombRaider said:

barnack, i think most of those were intended to be VOD tho? no way did they test the creep movies to see if they could be released on theatres

I don't know the veil had Jessica Alba and ended on VOD, Creep is Duplass and played in festival (more than just testing, actually played with those crowd) to be sold and simply didn't got a buyer other than a video on demand one, if someone would have wanted to release it in theater I imagine they would have said yes.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I don't know the veil had Jessica Alba and ended on VOD, Creep is Duplass and played in festival (more than just testing, actually played with those crowd) to be sold and simply didn't got a buyer other than a video on demand one, if someone would have wanted to release it in theater I imagine they would have said yes.

But Jessica could barely open a movie on her prime (The eye, Honey did OK) so i doubt they wanted a theatrical release when she's been over for a while, but yeah i guess they're not always gonna have big successes with every movie

• Like 1

On 14/04/2018 at 1:03 PM, ThePhasmid said:

Anyone thinking Upgrade would have performed better with stronger marketing than this? Blumhouse needs to focus on its adult thrillers. This type of teen fluff is below them for now.

Upgrade hasn't come out yet.

Universal is being a jerk lately with reviewers over their movies, demonetizing any and all videos even with only a couple of seconds of footage left and right, it's pretty sad cause copyright laws are supposed to protect this sort of content but YouTube just bends right over for those big corporations.

Hush was a Blumhouse production?? Oh, man!!! That film deserved a healthy theatrical run! What a fantastically suspenseful film!! Seriously, people...watch it. It is phenomenal. Yes, it is a home invasion movie (I know some people are sick of them), but it has some cool tricks/novelties up its sleeve, it is solidly directed, and it has great actors doing solid work. The leading lady and the villain are just awesomely played. Ugh, I wish it had been made today, so someone like Gal Gadot, Naomie Harris, or Blake Lively starred in it (just to give it some buzz and a better chance at a theatrical run)... :(