WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

I didn't like it. It's probably the best looking movie that Illumination has made, but they haven't sorted things out with their scripts yet. As probably expected it's a cookiecutter of a cookiecutter version of that one other popular animated movie based on a popular brand starring Chris Pratt, but it has nothing to offer of its own apart from some neat animation sequences. I really don't like this Brooklyn setup both feature-length Mario movies have been using, it feels like it only exists because they have no other way of making sense of the fact that he and Luigi are plumbers.

The entire movie is littered with irresponsibly tired needle drops, subpar jokes that lack cleverness or creativity, and characters that can't grow or change. It is a harmless kids film so I can imagine a lot of people giving it a pass, but I liked Minions: The Rise of Gru more. It's hard to fit Super Mario Bros. into a functioning movie but I do think it can be done, but you might need Lord & Miller to pull it off. At least to have something to say about the character or franchise, this has nothing.

I didn't like MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU. If this is worse than that... 🫠

52 minutes ago, nerves said:

RT score prediction?

If it's fresh I think I would be surprised by anything higher than 75%, and if it's rotten I would be surprised by anything lower than 50%. It's not exactly terrible, it's so short & simple that it will easily pass the time for many people. There isn't much to get out of it in the end, but also most Illumination movies do end up in the 60-75 range, and I don't see this being too different. I personally only like about two of their movies, so I usually lean a bit lower than the average.

What could be taken into consideration as well is that Mario is already a hugely beloved property unlike their other franchises that had to be built from the ground up. That's not to say some critics will go easier on the movie because of their fandom, just that we already know all these designs and worlds work because they've worked and turned people into fans for decades.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

16 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If it's fresh I think I would be surprised by anything higher than 75%, and if it's rotten I would be surprised by anything lower than 50%. It's not exactly terrible, it's so short & simple that it will easily pass the time for many people. There isn't much to get out of it in the end, but also most Illumination movies do end up in the 60-75 range, and I don't see this being too different. I personally only like about two of their movies, so I usually lean a bit lower than the average.

What could be taken into consideration as well is that Mario is already a hugely beloved property unlike their other franchises that had to be built from the ground up. That's not to say some critics will go easier on the movie because of their fandom, just that we already know all these designs and worlds work because they've worked and turned people into fans for decades.

Short and simple, bright and funny, new and imaginative, is the path to enormous animation returns.  Kids (and parents) really don't want a "hammer us over the head" message in their movies at this point.  They just want easy, breezy, beautiful...which it does sound like this movie is exactly (and yes, I stole that corporate tag line:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Short and simple, bright and funny, new and imaginative, is the path to enormous animation returns.  Kids (and parents) really don't want a "hammer us over the head" message in their movies at this point.  They just want easy, breezy, beautiful...which it does sound like this movie is exactly (and yes, I stole that corporate tag line:)...

Yeah pretty much. Illumination basically has this down to a science at this point (though not exactly new and imaginative).

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

I didn't like it. It's probably the best looking movie that Illumination has made, but they haven't sorted things out with their scripts yet. As probably expected it's a cookiecutter of a cookiecutter version of that one other popular animated movie based on a popular brand starring Chris Pratt, but it has nothing to offer of its own apart from some neat animation sequences. I really don't like this Brooklyn setup both feature-length Mario movies have been using, it feels like it only exists because they have no other way of making sense of the fact that he and Luigi are plumbers.

The entire movie is littered with irresponsibly tired needle drops, subpar jokes that lack cleverness or creativity, and characters that can't grow or change. It is a harmless kids film so I can imagine a lot of people giving it a pass, but I liked Minions: The Rise of Gru more. It's hard to fit Super Mario Bros. into a functioning movie but I do think it can be done, but you might need Lord & Miller to pull it off. At least to have something to say about the character or franchise, this has nothing.

Any chance families will like it at least?

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

Welp, I'm not going to the nice theater for this one, let me save my 5$

Did you like the song at least?

Edited by Morieris

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I mean more or less my expectations for this was Sonic 2/C-tier Dreamworks, which would make it top 5 Illumination.

Edited by YM! is St Peter

3 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

1 person didn't like the movie

BoT: clearly it means the movie is trash

I mean I suspect the GA will love it as Illumination has perfected making digestible family films and I suspect Mario will be similar. Just not expecting much outside of harmless family fun or glowing reviews.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

I won

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I didn't like MINIONS: THE RISE OF GRU. If this is worse than that... 🫠

keep in mind there are some weirdos (like me), who think Rise of Gru is great

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah sounds like an average illumination movie and all the advertising was pointing to that. i don't think they have the ability to rise above their standard like dreamworks sometimes does. will still do great business.

I don’t think they lack the ability but rather for the most part they don’t really want to. I think Nintendo knew that going in. They wouldn’t make a bad or truly great film to upset the fans but something just fun and breezy family fluff. Illumination would do just that and not change anything about the Mario brand. The main reason they didn’t do Sony was because they didn’t want to share game rights and specifically stated many times, they were focused on the Mario brand.

Edited by YM! is St Peter

52 minutes ago, cooldude97 said:

1 person didn't like the movie

BoT: clearly it means the movie is trash

I mean, everything described sounds exactly like an illumination film. Just a reminder that pretty much every film from the studio except...DM1? falls in the 50-70 rt range give or take like 5 points. So if anything it by all means shouldn't be surprising if that's exactly what this film gets as well?

Sorry if this has been answered already:

Are there even going to be Tuesday night or midnight showings for this? The main theater near me (and I live in a major city) has 12:15 P.M. next Wednesday as the earliest showing. Seems crazy to me but I do kind of like the nostalgic element where the day-of is the first time you can actually see a film.

Edited by superduperm