WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Feeling massive things coming for this more now than ever. I mean, if the reviews suck that would give me some heed, but otherwise here comes the money train. 

Yeah I´m not expecting glowing reviews but as long as they ain´t truly awful and well liked I think this will do monster business.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

TASM movies always had defenders, or at least the first one did. 

Anyway, yeah, I can’t think of a single person who was ever willing to defend the live action Mario movie in all the previous years I’ve used the Internet.

I wonder if there will ever be defenders for stuff like Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender and Fant4stic. Or do they already exist, and I’m not looking hard enough? 

I was 8 so my opinion shouldn't count, but I came out of dragon ball evolution satisfied with the experience

15 hours ago, Mulder said:

Literally 95% of it is nostalgia talking. Like Eric said, so many random awful movies get "They were good actually!" revisits. Batman & Robin, Spider-Man 3, the 2000s F4 movie, TASM movies. And that's just the superhero ones.

Batman & Robin is easy to defend now that you know that it is not the be all end all of Batman on film, so it can be enjoyed as a comedy. Hell I would take Batman & Robin anyday over some modern superhero movies like Thor Love & Thunder, Wonder Woman 1984, Suicide Squad, Josstice League, Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and probably more

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

7 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

TASM movies always had defenders, or at least the first one did. 

Anyway, yeah, I can’t think of a single person who was ever willing to defend the live action Mario movie in all the previous years I’ve used the Internet.

I wonder if there will ever be defenders for stuff like Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender and Fant4stic. Or do they already exist, and I’m not looking hard enough? 

You are not looking hard enough. Every movie ever made,no matter how badly it was received. has it's defenders.

The three you name would have defenders just becuase of brand/franchise loyalty. Some people will defend any POS if it has the Magic Name on it.

And I am talking about people defending the movie seriiously as a good film, not the "so bad it's a uninteional laugh riot" type of defense.

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Batman & Robin is easy to defend now that you know that it is not the be all end all of Batman on film, so it can be enjoyed as a comedy. Hell I would take Batman & Robin anyday over some modern superhero movies like Thor Love & Thunder, Wonder Woman 1984, Suicide Squad, Josstice League, Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and probably more

I have to disagree about Batman and Robin. It is trying to be like the 1966 TV show,I get that..... but fails badly. The over the top humor just does not work.

Edited by dudalb

19 hours ago, Mulder said:

Literally 95% of it is nostalgia talking. Like Eric said, so many random awful movies get "They were good actually!" revisits. Batman & Robin, Spider-Man 3, the 2000s F4 movie, TASM movies. And that's just the superhero ones.

Spider-man 3 and TASM were always good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, Mulder said:

B&R - Camp masterpiece 

SM3 - Hot mess but I've grown to enjoy it

2000s F4 - These films would have been universally praised if they had been part of the MCU. Like this is the fully baked template, especially for Phase 1!

TASM - The first movie is Certified Fresh on RT 😌

Edited by Spidey Freak

On 3/28/2023 at 2:42 PM, WittyUsername said:

I've actually seen a few people vouching for The Last Airbender over the last couple years on Twitter and Letterboxd. Mainly Shyamalan stans and people whose entire personality is vulgar auteurism. Which like...I love Shyamalan and I'm typically sympathetic for people being fans of maligned passion projects by maligned directors...but defending Last Airbender is a bridge too far. It's okay to accept that a bad movie is bad.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

I didn't like it. It's probably the best looking movie that Illumination has made, but they haven't sorted things out with their scripts yet. As probably expected it's a cookiecutter of a cookiecutter version of that one other popular animated movie based on a popular brand starring Chris Pratt, but it has nothing to offer of its own apart from some neat animation sequences. I really don't like this Brooklyn setup both feature-length Mario movies have been using, it feels like it only exists because they have no other way of making sense of the fact that he and Luigi are plumbers.

The entire movie is littered with irresponsibly tired needle drops, subpar jokes that lack cleverness or creativity, and characters that can't grow or change. It is a harmless kids film so I can imagine a lot of people giving it a pass, but I liked Minions: The Rise of Gru more. It's hard to fit Super Mario Bros. into a functioning movie but I do think it can be done, but you might need Lord & Miller to pull it off. At least to have something to say about the character or franchise, this has nothing.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 2
  • Knock It Off 2

50 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I didn't like it. It's probably the best looking movie that Illumination has made, but they haven't sorted things out with their scripts yet. As probably expected it's a cookiecutter of a cookiecutter version of that one other popular animated movie based on a popular brand starring Chris Pratt, but it has nothing to offer of its own apart from some neat animation sequences. I really don't like this Brooklyn setup both feature-length Mario movies have been using, it feels like it only exists because they have no other way of making sense of the fact that he and Luigi are plumbers.

The entire movie is littered with irresponsibly tired needle drops, subpar jokes that lack cleverness or creativity, and characters that can't grow or change. It is a harmless kids film so I can imagine a lot of people giving it a pass, but I liked Minions: The Rise of Gru more. It's hard to fit Super Mario Bros. into a functioning movie but I do think it can be done, but you might need Lord & Miller to pull it off. At least to have something to say about the character or franchise, this has nothing.

Ouch. It sounds like the embargo was indeed a bad sign. It also seems like Nintendo's insane chokehold didn't allow Horvath and Jelenic to do much with the material. What a shame. At least this made me, as a Sonic fan, glad that Sega mostly let Jeff Fowler and his crew do their thing after the redesign.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

RT score prediction?