WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is where I miss the Ebert style of critic review of “does exactly what a movie based on Mario games should do.” 

I miss Ebert in general. He knew when to be a serious minded film critic, but also knew when to have fun watching a dumb popcorn movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ehh, the box office correlation to RT says otherwise. This is very much an exception not the rule situation, bc again I don’t think most of these critics realize the movie feeling like the games is exactly what everyone wants from this. 

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This is where I miss the Ebert style of critic review of “does exactly what a movie based on Mario games should do.” 

If you dismiss critics jobs so much and thinks all the writing about this movie is dumb why you´re putting so much energy into reading and discussing their opinions?

Just ignore it, this will hardly make people excited about the movie give up on buying a ticket

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Only review that matters 🔥 

Got a 9/10 from the 🐐 himself

Of course he's gonna give it a high score. He's forced himself to love the 93 film because and I quote from his book on super Mario 3: "Mario was my friend." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Reddroast said:

Of course he's gonna give it a high score. He's forced himself to love the 93 film because and I quote from his book on super Mario 3: "Mario was my friend." 

if he didn't cream himself over this, we'd be entering code red status

• Haha 2

I’m disappointed to not see a 60-70 on MC or RT too, but I do think people are overreacting a bit. It’s not like these are sub-30%, below Hop (Illumination’s worst film) or below the 1993 film.

The unsatisfying 50/50 of MC/RT mediocrity isn’t going to be enough to kill this movie.

On an optimistic note: this is currently at 56% after 80 reviews on RT. Fresh is still technically in play. Would be hilarious if it got there after the meltdown everyone is having.

Edited by superduperm
  • Haha 1

Just now, superduperm said:

I’m disappointed to not see a 60-70 on MC or RT too, but I do think people are overreacting a bit. It’s not like these are sub-30%, below Hop (Illumination’s worst film) or below the 1993 film.

The unsatisfying 50/50 of MC/RT mediocrity isn’t going to be enough to kill this movie.

It won't kill it but will it slow it down any?

22 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can someone explain what a Mario move that is targeted at adults (beyond easter eggs) like Zootopia or Incredibles 2 would look like?

Dream scenario?

Edgy like Shrek and [slightly] PIB2, fun to watch, lot of references, visually engaging and creative but with a clever script that works in 2 levels for both kids and their parents 

• Like 1