That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

9 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Coco's success and WOM is really renewing my faith in the GA to appreciate animated movies that are driven more by plot than comedy. My cousin remarked on how he loved it despite it not being a particularly funny movie.

Same. It also gives me hope that a blockbuster with a minority based cast can succeed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

my 50% drop target has gone given that terrible wed's hold

Wed messed that up. I think a 53%+ drop is given even using very strong FSS holds:

17.85 (+110%) + 17.1 (-4%) + 9.05 (-47%) = 44.0 (-53.1%)

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

That had a white lead plus the Star Wars appeal. Certainly nowhere near as risky as this movie.

A white female lead...and a spin-off...

So, then Moana should already have met your requirements...

These movies have already worked...if this one does or doesn't (for final profitability off its huge budget), it's not the end of the world...

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Same. It also gives me hope that a blockbuster with a minority based cast can succeed.

Best part is that a Pixar original is gonna handily beat a Pixar sequel (Cars3) in the same year. It will also beat Cars2's 190 odd for that matter. I hope this means they get more leeway in what they want to do.

No doubt their biggest movies unadjusted are sequels : If Incredibles2 next year beat's IO's 356 dom, then the top 3 will all be sequels (Dory, TS3, I2). But beating Cars2 and 3 will put things in perspective. Movies like COCO, IO and UP seem like tough sells but can do big.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

A white female lead...and a spin-off...

So, then Moana should already have met your requirements...

These movies have already worked...if this one does or doesn't (for final profitability off its huge budget), it's not the end of the world...

All I can say is no more than a week ago people were still thinking this could finish close to or under The Good Dinosaur. Perhaps it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it did bomb (though it might have been pretty devastating for Pixar especially with the news about Lasseter coming out), but the reasons people are loving the movie make me hopeful nonetheless.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Best part is that a Pixar original is gonna handily beat a Pixar sequel (Cars3) in the same year. It will also beat Cars2's 190 odd for that matter. I hope this means they get more leeway in what they want to do.

No doubt their biggest movies unadjusted are sequels : If Incredibles2 next year beat's IO's 356 dom, then the top 3 will all be sequels (Dory, TS3, I2). But beating Cars2 and 3 will put things in perspective. Movies like COCO, IO and UP seem like tough sells but can do big.

What those movies prove are that Unkrich and Pete Docter are still reliable and stable presences at Pixar, which will be even more sorely needed now that Lasseter is a pariah. I think as they continue to promote new talent they may have some more misfires on the horizon, but if those two keep making successful products they should remain afloat, moreso if Stanton and Bird occasionally come back as well. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

When JL try to come above expectation: 

source.gif

giphy.gif

my 50% drop target has gone given that terrible wed's hold

If it wasn't for that wed's drop, my prediction would be 

thurs: $10m
friday: $21m

sat : $18m

sun: $9m 

49% drop for 3 days weekend, at least save some face for that awful opening

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

What those movies prove are that Unkrich and Pete Docter are still reliable and stable presences at Pixar, which will be even more sorely needed now that Lasseter is a pariah. I think as they continue to try to promote new talent they may have some more misfires on the horizon, but if those two keep making successful products they should remain afloat, moreso if Stanton and Bird occasionally come back as well. 

Actually I hope Darla K Anderson gets to be in charge. She produced a lot of Pixar movies and been their since the beginning and can be a refreshing breath of air. If not Docter or Unkrich takes over.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Why wouldn't they, it's strange to me that you would decide to watch a movie based on race. The only thing that mather is that the movie is good and interesting right?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Assie said:

Why wouldn't they, it's strange to me that you would decide to watch a movie based on race. The only thing that mather is that the movie is good and interesting right?

I see all movies and it’s very important to me that the movie is good but it’s nice to see a movie with a diverse cast to succeed.

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

A9mtREN.jpg

Hide contents

8j2fUp6.jpg

6 hours ago, a2knet said:

A9mtREN.jpg

Hide contents

8j2fUp6.jpg

Dec 15th:

YOUR TIME IS UP, MY TIME IS NOW
YOU CAN'T SEE ME, MY TIME IS NOW
ITS THE FRANCHISE, BOY, I'M SHINING NOW
YOU CAN'T SEE ME MY TIME IS NOW

In case you forgot, or fell off, I'm still hot. Knock your shell off.
My money stack fat, plus I can't turn the swell off.
The franchise doing big business, I live this.
is automatic I win this so you hear those horns who finish.
A soldier and I stay under you fighting,
cause I'm stormin' on you chumps like thunder and lightning.
Ain't no way you breaking me kid, I'm harder than nails.
Plus I keep it on lock like I'm part of the jail.
I'm slaughtering stale competition.
I got the whole block wishing they could run with my division.
But, they gone fishing with no bait. Can't your boy hold weight?
I got my soul straight. I brush your mouth like Colgate.
In any weather, I'm never better, your boy is so hot.
You'll never catch me in the next man's sweater.
And if they hate, let 'em hate. I drop their whole clan.
Lay your ass down for the three second tan.

YOUR TIME IS UP, MY TIME IS NOW
YOU CAN'T SEE ME, MY TIME IS NOW
ITS THE FRANCHISE, BOY, I'M SHINING NOW
YOU CAN'T SEE ME MY TIME IS NOW

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

3 minutes ago, Assie said:

You'd think so, but it's still reasonable to doubt many Hollywood execs feel that way.

23 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Get out, coco, wonder, baby driver, split, prove that people are eager to have new/original stuff when remake/sequel are the getting non-sense, but they don't know where and what to pick to see, and pixar brand cleverly give a clue, "come to see me! I am good! "

Truly, pixar is still doing great with original despite they have a decline trend in term of quality post-2010, even the so-so brave and TGD are quite good compared to their other post2010 offerings..... 

Coco most likely will get pixar its 3rd oscar for best animated feature in this decade.....

• Like 1