That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Netflix is evil. I support this 

they've had a pretty good track record with films this year actually.  watched Meyerowitz Stories last night and thought it was pretty great.  Gerald's Game and Okja are both pretty high up on my 2017 list.  What Happened to Monday was very enjoyable

Just now, That One Guy said:

they've had a pretty good track record with films this year actually.  watched Meyerowitz Stories last night and thought it was pretty great.  Gerald's Game and Okja are both pretty high up on my 2017 list.  What Happened to Monday was very enjoyable

I'm sure they're good movies. And im interested in them. But I don't have Netflix so I can't watch them so I'm a salty bitch 

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I would bet dollars to donuts I’ve seen more movies than you have. I’ve studied film from 1894 to present and watched all kinds of obscure films from Soviet Russian formalism to German expressionism to French New Wave to most top film lists of the past to weird B movies. I still think Moonlight, Manchester, and add Boyhood are 3 of the worst movies I have ever seen. 

latest?cb=20141021205159

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

It isn’t for me, no. I hate both of those movies. Titanic was great when the boat was sinking and the shitty lust story (sorry LOVE doesn’t happen in 24 hours) finally ended. With Rose basically pushing Jack off a piece of wood so large you could hold a dinner party on it but she outweighed him about 2:1 (not her fault, poor Leo was a twig in that movie at the time). Jack didn’t have to die. Rose just didn’t want to share her large wood. Sorry that came off wrong. I’m sure he had large wood too or whatever, but I mean she was all wet from the... you know fuck it I give up on this description ;)

For awards movies that actually were good, Lion was fantastic, Bridge of Spies was great, and there are always about 20% of them that are legitimately very good movies. It is literally that low. At best 20%. Whereas at most 20% of blockbusters suck. The worse it usually gets is like Mummy which was forgettable and pretty lame but had its moments. It sure didn’t suck as bad as most “awards films” that make your blood boil knowing how much time they just wasted. Do you guys drink while watching these films? Recreational drugs? I’m just trying to find the secret here. Or is it like fast forward through the boring parts and then the resulting movie is only 7 minutes long? :P

Personally I'm about as GA as GAs come. Gimme my action-adventure flicks with pretty visuals meant for the big screen. Hell yeah!!! and for someone who's on a BO forum, I watch very very very few movies in theatres Awards legit have zero impact on whether I choose to see a movie or not, lol. Out of all the winners of last year's AA, I only watched Hacksaw Ridge, and that was before it got the win (I had to open up the wiki page for the 89th AA for this post >.>)

The reason why I picked Titanic & R+J wasn't just because they were in the genre.. they were also as white and straight as movies come; I.E. it's unfair to blame SJW/PC culture(?) for being the main(?) source of your discontent/disconnect with the Oscars contenders this year. Sometimes one's own personal taste just doesn't jive with a particular year's panel/selection and that's fine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I would bet dollars to donuts I’ve seen more movies than you have. I’ve studied film from 1894 to present and watched all kinds of obscure films from Soviet Russian formalism to German expressionism to French New Wave to most top film lists of the past to weird B movies. I still think Moonlight, Manchester, and add Boyhood are 3 of the worst movies I have ever seen. Any movies worse than that from say the 1930s were probably lost to time and nobody could see them. Are there movies more horribly crafted? Yeah of course, like Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. But that movie is so bad that it’s good and it is at least funny. There is NOTHING worse than being bored during a movie. Those movies are flat out F- level bad. There’s nothing redeeming. Even the camera work in Manchester is terrible and same with Boyhood. It’s fine in Moonlight. Heck the acting is very good in the movies, but so what? You don’t score points for any individual element if the movie stinks. If I saw amazing CG in the service of the most idiotic film I can imagine I’m not awarding points for that. Battlefield Earth is still an F movie regardless of what they spent to make it. Same applies with these incredibly boring movies. It’s literally impossible to watch them without checking the time dozens of times.

"No boom, bang, hulk smash.  No JonathanLB like."

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Judging by the audience reaction in Cranford, New Jersey last night, they had nooooo idea what the hell Disaster Artist was. That trailer was met with some painfully awkward silence. After years of loving it, it reminded me of just how niche The Room still is. 

Lady Bird is great, btw. There are other films I prefer this year, but still a gem.

Thought you were in NY?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Judging by the audience reaction in Cranford, New Jersey last night, they had nooooo idea what the hell Disaster Artist was. That trailer was met with some painfully awkward silence. After years of loving it, it reminded me of just how niche The Room still is. 

Lady Bird is great, btw. There are other films I prefer this year, but still a gem.

I think the reaction for Disaster Artist at my showing was split about half down the middle.  half of the audience was laughing and the other half was dead silent.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He also probably thinks Marion Cotillard is a bad actress all because of a stupid death scene in a funny book movie like most of the Internet seems to.

No one thinks that. She’s great.

Oh and it’s not “good taste in film” because you like a bunch of wacko Danish Girl awards bait type of movies. I’m sorry but if it’s an issues movie it probably fucking sucks.

If you have real taste in film you appreciate the classics. You understand the difference in craft between a truly great movie like Citizen Kane that’s about someone and about something and perfectly made versus something like Boyhood which is full of shallow characters, stereotypes, and pointless meandering plot threads. You get that in the past what was an issues movie like Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was ACTUALLY good! You understand the difference between examining the human condition in The Best Years of Our Lives and writing some really shitty dialogue for Crash. No, I’m sorry, but if you consider this trash to be great film then it’s time for a revisit to the classics my friend. They blow away any of this bait from the last 20 years.

How someone could see a truly great modern film like Whiplash and think it’s anything like it even in the same league as The Danish Girl or this kind of thing is mind boggling. There are some great awards films out there but they aren’t trying so hard to be issues films or trying so hard to be “smart.” They’re smart because they’re confident works about something that actually matters. The King’s Speech, there’s a fantastic modern awards film for instance.