DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

The only streaming service I use is Netflix.

The companies have to work very hard if they want me to subscribe to something else.

I prefer watching films in cinemas or on bluray. 

I really wish there was one subscription service, streaming wise, for everything, lol.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Literally if Disney is not a monopoly there are no monopolies in any department.

ehhh... You're wrong...

MONOPOLY:

(an organization or group that has) complete control of something, especially an area of business, so that others have noshare:

exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action; a commodity controlled by one party; exclusive possession or control

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

$

27 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That market response is in part right, but also in part not fully in force here.

1) Movies are not making revenues only from the movie, 2 equally loved by audience movies, some studio would still prefer the one that generate toys/video games to sales between the 2

2) Between 2 movie that are has loved the one that can generate a sequel will be the one a studio exec prefer.

3) International, intl business is a big part of the pie, between 2 movie has loved by a big part of audience, the one that can appeal (and pass the local government censorship) a studio exec will prefer the one that can play everywhere.

There is some force in play here outside what people like to watch when they actually watch it. I doubt the percentage of people that actually watched Whiplash and liked it is particularly lower than the first Ninga Turtle movie for example.

If you mean the 1990 Ninja Turtles movie, that adjusts to $285,561,400 today so a heck of a lot more people liked it than liked Whiplash ($14,272,100).   Obviously we are going to get more Turtles movies than Whiplash movies because that's what the public wants.

All that stuff sounds like the audience preferring certain kinds of movies and studios giving them what they want.

9 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The only streaming service I use is Netflix.

The companies have to work very hard if they want me to subscribe to something else.

I prefer watching films in cinemas or on bluray. 

I really wish there was one subscription service, streaming wise, for everything, lol.

But that's where this is all headed. Soon they will all have different content like shows, movies, etc that isn't available anywhere else. Marvel will certainly move it's shows where Disney is going from Netflix.

I hope that now that Disney has 'Eragon' adaptations rights they surprise us and make movies out of the books. I have only read the first one but if done right (not the version Fox made) it could be their LOTR (of course in a much smaller scale).   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Also when do you think they will present officially the Fantastic Four and X-Men in the MCU?? I think we will have a post credit scene about them on 'Avengers 4' 

Depending on how they work things out creatively, a post-credits Avengers cameo on Deadpool 2 or Dark Phoenix would make the Internet explode.

17 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

ehhh... You're wrong...

MONOPOLY:

(an organization or group that has) complete control of something, especially an area of business, so that others have noshare:

exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action; a commodity controlled by one party; exclusive possession or control

The word monopoly is of greek origin consisting of the word "μόνο" which means the only and "πουλάω" which means sell.

In other words, If we stay completely loyal to the origin of the word it means that one company has the compete share of the market. But since times change, and this is practically impossible in a country with a free market, the word monopoly is used when a company owns a very big part of the market share, basically having little If any competition.

At least, that's how I refer to the world monopoly. I don't think there is any of us wrong. It's just that you are going strictly whith the definition while I am not.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

When I use the word monopoly (and I bet most of other people do so as well), I don't go with the strict definition of the term, I know exactly what it means.

By calling Disney a monopoly you state the fact that they have an excessive control of the market making it veryy difficult for other brands to compete with them.

But yeah, you are not wrong either. It is a matter of understanding.

Except that's also not true.  They have high market power but other firms will compete fine.  It's an Oligopoly where each major studio's actions effect each other.

Just because one studio has the most market power does not make it near impossible for others to compete.

• Like 3

Wow, so Comcast and Verizon still fucking won today anyway.

Net neutrality is dead. Now that's big business shit you guys should be concerned about.

It still has to go to court but that's bad.

Edit: See it in the politics thread now but wouldn't consider that issue as that and usually stay out of there.

Edited by somebody85

It s like some of you discover today how capitalism  & corporations work.

Because, sure, whatever you are acusing Disney of, it s not like the exact same is happenning in any other business all over the world.

Disney is the Evil Empire sure, but Samsung, Google, Coca Cola Co., Oracle, Toyota, Shell, Goldman Sachs etc etc etc or any of the 1000+ giant corporations that control most of the global business are fair & kind and loving and understanding and respectful  and sing songs about rainbows in the morning.

16 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

f you mean the 1990 Ninja Turtles movie, that adjusts to $285,561,400 today so a heck of a lot more people liked it than liked Whiplash ($14,272,100).   Obviously we are going to get more Turtles movies than Whiplash movies because that's what the public wants.

All that stuff sounds like the audience preferring certain kinds of movies and studios giving them what they want.

Talking about the 2014 ? one, was it more watched because audience love it more than Whiplash or because it was a franchise movie with a giant marketing budget ?

Is the percentage of people that watched Ninja Turtle and loved it higher than for Whiplash and the reason it made more ? Or it made more because of an higher first weekend because it had more screen and eyeballs before anyone saw the actual products ?

The merchandises sales, sequels possible, China screens because their government say ok to them, movie universe start up possible are also variable that studio's consider, not purely what people want to watch and studios will have advantage to push movies that make those possible over movies that people would prefer, because they would still be more profitable overall.

2 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

Except that's also not true.  They have high market power but other firms will compete fine.  It's an Oligopoly where each major studio's actions effect each other.

Just because one studio has the most market power does not make it near impossible for others to compete.

I think you are a smart man so you should know that things rarely work by definition.

We both know what I am saying but If you don't want to call it a monopoly well it's OK don't..

See, fuck Comcast.

"Comcast, the parent company of NBC News, celebrated the decision.

"Today’s action does not mark the ‘end of the Internet as we know it;’ rather it heralds in a new era of light regulation that will benefit consumers," said David L. Cohen, senior executive vice president and chief diversity officer of Comcast."

Glad it was Disney and not Comcast. This isn't over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

It s like some of you discover today how capitalism  & corporations work.

Because, sure, whatever you are acusing Disney of, it s not like the exact same is happenning in any other business all over the world.

Disney is the Evil Empire sure, but Samsung, Google, Coca Cola Co., Oracle, Toyota, Shell, Goldman Sachs etc etc etc or any of the 1000+ giant corporations that control most of the global business are fair & kind and loving and understanding and respectful  and sing songs about rainbows in the morning.

Well I don't. I have pretty poor feelings for most of the companies you named and I also have problems with capitalism as an economical system.