grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

8 minutes ago, a2knet said:

If SW8 does 650 odd or less than what would that change about JW2/Avatar2's expectations?

Thing is that even assuming a big drop in admissions, A2 will have 11 years of inflation. So the drop in BO may not be that big compared to A1's unadjusted. SW8 like drop in bo would give 525 down from 760. But that would mean a much bigger drop in admissions.

---

Spin-offs usually suck up some goodwill. Even though RO was well received, do you think if SW8 was the first SW movie after SW7 it would have done bigger...even in the ow? I think so.

Avatar2's world will at least will be 'fresh' in that regard. Hoping that's the case with JW:FK too.

I don't think Avatar 2 will drop that much [actually i think it could match the 1st movie], exactly because of inflation plus the new technologies the movie will bring

But for JW2, yeah, i can see a bigger drop than Ultron

52 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Give Titanic a slap on the wrist.. perception of time must be off today thats all

Members have to acknowledge the thread ban before they can post anywhere. 

But it doesn't matter.

Posting an image of naked people would have resulted in an automatic forum bane no matter what.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taruseth said:

What Do you consider The Hunger Games, because Catching Fire increased from The Hunger Games, actually the only Sequel to increase from a first film that grossed more than 400 Mio $.

A huge film but not a Mega opener.  All the others adjust to $600m+ and or an estimated 70m tickets+.  Hunger Games was around 50m tickets

• Like 2

IX has some solid competition. The Call Of The Wild, a hybrid animation from Fox (which could move), Wicked which could be bigger than Jumanji and Sing, and Masters Of The Universe which could surprise.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Still waiting for Coco numbers... hope it will follows the other movies and have a much bigger jump than predicted

Jumanji must have been hurting Coco taking away the families. Thought it would recover this weekend but 210 looks like the target. Much less than what seemed in first 2 weeks when the gap between Coco and Moana would not go above 9m and had steadied after 5 days. Now it might end 30-40m below Moana. Even though Ferdi is doing small numbers it's still putting bigger numbers than Coco right now being a newer movie. That and SW8 and Jumanji looks to have shortened Coco's late legs significantly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

All I can say is that the past is the past.... obviously I relied to much on what happened way to long ago (minus Jumanji - that is acting just like NATM).

I hope once I see the film that all the angst over TLJ's performance is worth it. However - as @Porthos continues to say, at least this isn't a boring box office time.

Bad Christmas increase for Jedi but fantastic for the rest of the films - reasons why studios love putting films out here. Now the rest of the week can play like high summer and grosses will FLY!

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, cannastop said:

stages-of-grief-14-728.jpg?cb=1337212086

Nah, "bargaining" would be "If TLJ increases today, it might be okay" (the word 'might' being the biggest tell).  I think there's better examples of that in this thread than me observing that this run has been rollercoasterish in nature. :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Jumanji must have been hurting Coco taking away the families. Thought it would recover this weekend but 210 looks like the target. Much less than what seemed in first 2 weeks when the gap between Coco and Moana would not go above 9m and had steadied after 5 days. Now it might end 30-40m below Moana. Even though Ferdi is doing small numbers it's still putting bigger numbers than Coco right now being a newer movie. That and SW8 and Jumanji looks to have shortened Coco's late legs significantly.

Yeah, Coco actually had to contend with competition two fold - screen loss from Ferdi (ala Sing to Moana) and then a 4qaud hit in Jumanji - something Moana didn't have to deal with. Shame since it looked like it would breeze past 220m~.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Listen ima a huge JP fan, but i dont expect more than 400M for JW2. Trailer was shit and the story seems recycled. Ill see it like 1000 times but i cant make up for tahat difference alone.

You and me together. We will create a You Can't Make up That Difference Alone campaign reminiscent of JL - watch the movie 1000 times, once for each dino you spot in the movie.

I was not on the JW2 500m train before the trailer but with the trailer I definitely fell into the 400m is the ceiling crowd. Just don't see it repeating, particularly with all the other films this summer begging for attention unlike 2015.

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Yeah, Coco actually had to contend with competition two fold - screen loss from Ferdi (ala Sing to Moana) and then a 4qaud hit in Jumanji - something Moana didn't have to deal with. Shame since it looked like it would breeze past 220m~.

Still at least it’ll hit $200M. Aside from it and DM3, animation sucked this year. Next year should rebound.

Just now, narniadis said:

I was not on the JW2 500m train before the trailer but with the trailer I definitely fell into the 400m is the ceiling crowd. Just don't see it repeating, particularly with all the other films this summer begging for attention unlike 2015.

I still feel the GA might eat this up. The race for number 1 between it, IW and TI2 for box office supremacy should be interesting.

• Like 1

While The Last Jedi grosses are lower than expected, one thing is still interesting: January is barren as F*ck. Theres like nothing from now till Maze Runner 3, which is really not a huge event. This could actually help all the December films, Jumani could run wild there and Last Jedis' drops could be a bit softened because there is NOTHING out there. I guess The Cummuter could be a small hit but it looks bad to me (then again so did Jumanji :lol:)

Im rooting for Paddington 2 though.