grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

42 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

TLJ is going to take a big drop from TFA, bigger than it should have had, and it's going under Avatar, which saddens me, despite the film still being a Goddamn waterfall of money for Iger and Kennedy and still going as one of the top 3 biggest DOM hits of all time (unless legs are really poor and it goes under Jurassic World.... which would still put it at #4, but it would be a massive letdown)

#5 actually. There's still Titanic above Jurassic World. :P

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I think doomed is an understatement at this point, we got to think of how this will ruin cinema.

*remembers that Disney now owns Avatar's soul*

Aha! Now I see what this concern is all about. ;)

14 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Damn, now that I think about, TLJ is the first Episode that doesn't have much I can see appealing to kids. For a movie that didn't cater to the diehard fanbase, it's sure not really catering to a new generation either. 

Apologies, I'm not trying to harp on you.  Just trying to highlight an example, because you're right, there is a lot that's already common knowledge for people on the board.  

I'd say it was an example of the moderators' complaints because: 

1. It discusses specifics about the contents of the movie
  2. Invites responses that would go into further specifics about the contents of the movie

But I'll shut my mouth now and let the moderators do the moderating.  I know how frustrating it is for people to get spoiled, and I was honestly just trying to protect their interests.  Again, my apologies.

Just now, IronJimbo said:

don't mention the mouse so casually, after he comes for avatar he could come for you

I'm not afraid.

*goes to mirror and says "Mouse" five times in a row*

See nothing happened. Nothing at a-

Huh.  Wonder what that sound is outside. Sounds like the screaming of a thousand tortured indie artists, in a cacophony of pain and anger.

Eh, probably just neighborhood carolers. :lol:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Apologies, I'm not trying to harp on you.  Just trying to highlight an example, because you're right, there is a lot that's already common knowledge for people on the board.  

I'd say it was an example of the moderators' complaints because: 

1. It discusses specifics about the contents of the movie
  2. Invites responses that would go into further specifics about the contents of the movie

But I'll shut my mouth now and let the moderators do the moderating.  I know how frustrating it is for people to get spoiled, and I was honestly just trying to protect their interests.  Again, my apologies.

No need to apologize, I didn't feel like you were harping on me. I'm sure it is more than the mods want. Gets hard to discuss even the movie's box office without going into general discussions about WOM and appeal. 

12 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

You already have something like that. It’s called fanfiction.

I dunno I thought it would be interesting if fans voted on fanfic and the most popular one got filmed by the studio.

If everyone hates the idea, so be it.

I still think it would be cool to see the result and public reaction.

Even if it were a trainwreck it would be fun.

4 minutes ago, junkshop36 said:

Thats the problem with most older die hard SW fans. They’re still living in the past. They think everything has to be right in line with what happened in the OT movies. That all the characters from then have to be exactly the same as they were in those movies. A lot of shit can happen in 30 years to someone. People can change based on their life experiences. 

That's just not true. Most of the fanbase wanted to see the movie stray from the OT blueprint. That was virtually the only complaint from fans about TFA (too ANH-ish). What RJ did with TLJ is a different thing entirely, which I won't go into for sake of spoilers. 

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Funny thing is kids my age had Batman Returns toys out the wazoo, possibly moreso than Batman 89. I think kids liked it a lot more than parents, who try to shelter kids. Soccer moms freaked out and threatened to boycott McDonalds, which then put pressure on Warner to go much safer. 

It had a gigantic opening weekend. But reaction was mixed as Hell, it sharply fell after its 3-day thanks to WOM and toy sales shit the bed. Sound familiar?

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

What bothers me is that E8 never needed to "play it safe" to deliver something that the fanbase and the GA could have gotten on board with on TFA levels, imo. All it needed to do was follow up and deliver on a lot of interesting plot points TFA set up. There would have been plenty of satisfactory ways to do that without playing it safe. 

Higher the chance the fanbase and GA is on board the safer a product is. Not playing it safe is accepting a good chance that most people to hate it (not an issue for movie that only seek to please 1-2% of the population and trying to do 50m, a big problem for Star Wars).

Star wars playing it quite safe, every statement the movie made make pretty much full consensus in society, pretty much pure and easy to follow narrative, not one shocking image or moment. It was not Matrix sequel, Cloud Atlas, Tree of Life unsafe exercise either.

All the pace issue and not knowing what is going on in the middle and setup that does not pay much are not playing it safe or unsafe, it is probably execution issues.

56 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Any blockbuster type film from the 70's is going to have an element of dated to it. Hell, that's when the blockbuster originated, so of course things have changed a lot. However, there is no other blockbuster type of movie from that time frame that holds up as well as the OT and it is because they are very well made for their genre and many of the concepts are appealing to kids by any decade's standards. Kids will watch the OT, even in spite of how dated aspects of it are. Try getting kids to watch other films from that time frame, even animated ones. 

My seven year old nephew loves the OT. He falls asleep every time he tries to watch any of the prequels. ANH, ESB, ROTJ, and TFA though? No problem, he loves them. He didn't fall asleep during TLJ but he didn't seem into most of it other than Chewie and the porgs either. The OT will endure.

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It will end up #4 or #5 biggest DOM movie in history.

What a flop.

Never before seen picture of Rian Johnson planning meeting with the Disney Suits:

main_4-Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Screen-Use

They can't say they weren't warned, apparently.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It will end up #4 or #5 biggest DOM movie in history.

What a flop.

You joke, but if Solo is coming a mere 5 months off a mixed reception main entry that fell 40% in WW gross from its predecessor, then Solo could actually flop in terms of being profitable. The talk starts happening behind the scenes, and we see some changes in the current plans happen, possibly even starting with IX's plot. 

In other words, TLJ could be the spark that makes Disney feel some unwanted flames. 

Edited by MovieMan89