grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

2 hours ago, That One Guy said:

That’s kind of a ridiculous comparison, but whatever.

No, it's actually not.  It's actually very accurate.  have you ever wondered how they get bears to ride bikes?  They use a blow torch on their feet until they comply.  Believe me, the circus is a horrible horrible place for animals.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  Why do you think Ringling Bros closed finally after 100 years in business?  Because people there was enough pressure from people who finally saw behind the curtain.

I'm not posting anymore about this.  I've said enough in the past and people don't want to know the truth as long as it has a big shiny bow on it and it entertains kids but it's nothing more than the Matrix.  It's a holocaust for animals and I'll never support anything to do with the circus.

Let's talk about something else.  

Wonder is past 100 million!  Awesome.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Well, I can't go watch a film about the circus and look at it any other way except for the same way you would look at a film about the Holocaust which shows the Jews playing beach volleyball in a concentration camp.

I’m a big animal rights guy, but yikes at that analogy. Anyways, the movie practically ignores that animals were ever involved. They hardly even show any animals in it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Heretic said:

IT was by far the most hyped horror film ever. Didn't expect it to be so huge but wasn't really that surprised.

Didnt expect Jumanji to even hit $100m. Kind of came out of nowhere and now it has $300m potential. 

No one predicted a $120m opening for it and a total north of $300m domestic and $700m worldwide. 

IT is the story of the year, easily. 

Why did you not expect Jumanji to get to $100m when it was tracking at $60m opening? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’m a big animal rights guy, but yikes at that analogy. Anyways, the movie practically ignores that animals were ever involved. They hardly even show any animals in it. 

That's my point.  They ignore all the truth.  They only show you the truth they want you to see.  

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No one predicted a $120m opening for it and a total north of $300m domestic and $700m worldwide. 

Why did you not expect Jumanji to get to $100m when it was tracking at $60m opening? 

Not everyone pays attention to tracking.  There were many people here who thought it would finish with less than 100 million way before tracking came out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

That's my point.  They ignore all the truth.  They only show you the truth they want you to see.  

It’s a feel good Hollywood musical. If anyone believes they’re telling an accurate and not extremely fictionalized story using the name of a guy who actually existed, then they’d have to be about as gullible as it gets. In other words, no one is coming out of the movie thinking that’s really the way it all went down. 

• Like 2

Not that everything has to be a competition, but for me Jumanji is the story of the winter.  So so much more entertaining to follow than TLJ.  

That three day estimate if it holds is INSANE.  This has a very real shot at 300 now, probably 80%.  

TLJ number is.....fine.  Most people had it pegged for 80 million for the 4 day and if it comes in 8 under its just okay.  Don't think there's really any more debate to be had that WOM is mixed-to decent among the GA.  The numbers have reflected just that kind of run.

Was looking at next Christmas slate and it's....interesting.  Aquaman and Bumblebee will fight for the same audiences both coming off a franchise fatigue/poorly received predecessors.  Do want to see what Wan does with Aquaman.  Mortal Engines is a total toss up but I could definitely see it underperforming as much as over.  Mary Poppins will probably save the day, especially if it's well received I think it makes a big play for 300-350.

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s a feel good Hollywood musical. If anyone believes they’re telling an accurate and not extremely fictionalized story using the name of a guy who actually existed, then they’d have to be about as gullible as it gets. In other words, no one is coming out of the movie thinking that’s really the way it all went down. 

And that's fine.  But I can't ever look at anything to do with the circus and not get angry.  So I'll never see it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I agree. IT reminded me of JW, most people thought that it would deliver good numbers for the horror genre, but i mean, this thing ougrossed Spider-Man: Homecoming on its OW! It was an explosion we see 10 times a decade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

And that's fine.  But I can't ever look at anything to do with the circus and not get angry.  So I'll never see it.

Ok, but ironically I think it’s the kind of film you would go for if you could see it as fiction, not trying to be an accurate portrayal of the circus. I appreciated they kept the animals mostly out of it, because otherwise I would have been like you and not benn ok with any “romanticizing” of that aspect. But the movie does have a really good message. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

Was looking at next Christmas slate and it's....interesting.  Aquaman and Bumblebee will fight for the same audiences both coming off a franchise fatigue/poorly received predecessors.  Do want to see what Wan does with Aquaman.  Mortal Engines is a total toss up but I could definitely see it underperforming as much as over.  Mary Poppins will probably save the day, especially if it's well received I think it makes a big play for 300-350.

I really don’t know with Aquaman. On one hand, JL was supposed to at the very least do around BVS and failed colossally, if not $1B. On the other hand no DCEU movie before JL missed $300M adjusted. Then again they had some sort of icon in the film (Superman/Batman/Joker/Wonder Woman).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Jumanji is light

Fun

Entertaining

Has two enormous stars that bring in a diverse audience

Very funny

Jumanji name

Great release date

TLJ is Star Wars

But the wom is divisive

Long ass run time

Jumanji certainly benefits from release date, but it's also a good movie with very wide appeal.  I also never understood the negative posts about it before release as the crowd reaction to the preview was the most positive of any movie in my experience (each and every time it came on).  In the end the large number of people who thought they'd like it did.  

In my.opinion it was the easiest to watch and therefore arguably most fun movie of the year.  

• Thanks 1