Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

because I haven't seen the movie so I can't claim those points as mine. but nonetheless, if so many people don't like it and WOM obviously isn't strong (it isn't a disaster but it isn't strong enough for such a poor opener to recover) than something didn't come together. When even Awards Watch that was super hyped to love it admits it's a disappointing movie than yeah, time to support something that actually deserves it. 

This is just dumb.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

because I haven't seen the movie so I can't claim those points as mine. but nonetheless, if so many people don't like it and WOM obviously isn't strong (it isn't a disaster but it isn't strong enough for such a poor opener to recover) than something didn't come together. When even Awards Watch that was super hyped to love it admits it's a disappointing movie than yeah, time to support something that actually deserves it. 

Because AwardsWatch users 100% line up with what the Academy and critics think.

I don't get the lament over this movie's boxoffice under-performance and some critical snubs (accent on some cause more awards are coming so it could pick up some steam). I was rooting for Kaluuya but upon hearing that his role isn't big enough I got over it. Plenty of time for him to get another nom and win (preferably Actor) in the future. There are better movies. This one was never in contention to win anything, just in contention for nominations and such contenders are most vulnerable. Also, nothing is over before televised awards/guilds and boxoffice isn't be all and end all either. Again, it was never going to win so why doom and gloom? 

Edited by Valonqar

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3307679

i rewatched this yesterday coincidentally. it'd never get those nominations today. The Discourse would be hell. this isn't a "they don't make 'em like that anymore" post but rather a "they do make 'em like that but they get booed outta cinemas by the part of the pop cultural commentariat that actively resents difficult art" see the suspiria remake.

anyway off topic but whatever. the gif made me think of that.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

No real person has ever had this take. 

Someone on Awards Watch did. :lol:

Sorry that I'm not joining in tears circle but I want BP to get as many major noms as possible so the more other hopefuls fall by the wayside the better. It's vulnerable due to its genre and needs more traditional movies to flop in order to make space for it.

if i said "didn't like star is born. bradley cooper's beard looked like it smells bad". dude is gonna go on awards watch or another forum and be all "audiences are hating a star is born. major complaints about bcoop's stinky beard. probable awards flop"

• Like 2

Just now, Valonqar said:

Sorry that I'm not joining in tears circle but I want BP to get as many major noms as possible so the more other hopefuls fall by the wayside the better. It's vulnerable due to its genre and needs more traditional movies to flop in order to make space for it.

I don't care about you not joining the "tear circle" or whatever.

I'm just baffled by... all these posts. They're all so insanely dumb. What does a person on AwardsWatch not liking a dog have to do with the Oscars? You've collected all these wack opinions to create your own turbo-wack take on a movie you haven't even seen. 

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if i said "didn't like star is born. bradley cooper's beard looked like it smells bad". dude is gonna go on awards watch or another forum and be all "audiences are hating a star is born. major complaints about bcoop's stinky beard. probable awards flop"

but ASIB had amazing hold and amazing boxoffice so obviously that kind of criticism isn't majority. it's fun, though. I've seen similar type of fan reviews but, again, they didn't do shit for ASIB WOM which is amazing as we all know. Now when is it going to cross 200M? 

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Valonqar wants more explosions and sci-fi scenes and less political subplots from this Steve McQueen drama, damn it! Make it more like Arrival and Gravity, the only TRUE Best Picture caliber movies this decade.

Arrival only had one explosion from what I remember, that’s less than Widows :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

how is it not about that heist?

well:

Spoiler

What is the percentage of the run time that is about that heist planification, execution or consequence ? A significant amount but there is certainly a lot of it that is not about that heist.

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

complaints are that the movie is not about the heist save maybe 10 min tops

That is quite the exaggeration, the heist footage is not long but you need to ad the planning of it as about the heist moment also.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

it would have done better at the boxoffice if it was actually about the heist

Maybe, maybe not, look at this movie for example:

The most recent non-franchise assemble heist movie I can think of, would you say the movie was not about the heist, that the cast didn't had chemistry or non likable ?

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $27,780,977    57.3%
Foreign:  $20,672,628    42.7%

Worldwide:  $48,453,605  

Heist, crime drama/comedy is a genre that be less easy to sell and way less mainstream that we tend to think, same would go for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang / The Nice Guys, it is a type of movies many including me tend to overrate their mainstream appeal quite a lot, there is a reason they redo Ocean 11s again and again and again and again.

Just now, Barnack said:
Spoiler

What is the percentage of the run time that is about that heist planification, execution or consequence ? A significant amount but there is certainly a lot of it that is not about that heist.

it's all about the heist even if it's not about the heist..

12 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't think anybody's crying about Widows presumably missing the cut....

But it ain't gonna be because of the dog.

• Like 2

yeah, i'm not even that big of a widows guy. i enjoyed it but not in my top 10 and probably my least favourite of mcqueen's films. i am just CONFUSED. the conclusion makes sense but the way you got there...

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3