Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i think ethan hawke is still gonna get nominated. and there's no real guarantee this catches on. we'll see. some controversies seem to live short term in the memory like that Viggo N word thing seems like it just came and went.

It perplexes me how that barely caused any damage as of now... I find it interesting how Mahershala Ali forgave him and stood by him, though. That might have something to do with the 'coming and going' among certain people. I dunno.

42 minutes ago, Slambros said:

It perplexes me how that barely caused any damage as of now... I find it interesting how Mahershala Ali forgave him and stood by him, though. That might have something to do with the 'coming and going' among certain people. I dunno.

Having Ali explain the situation definitely helps, but I think it also helps that Viggo's not a very popular figure. The last commercial movie he was in was Hidalgo, or I guess Appaloosa if you want to be charitable. If it was Tom Cruise or something who accidentally blurted out the n word, things would probably be different.

This also applies to Schrader. Only movie nerds like us know who he is, so it'll likely blow over and Hawke won't be affected that much. Original Screenplay on the other hand could be different.

• Like 1

Detroit Film Critic Nominations

Eighth Grade and First Reformed keep their building steam

Vice finally shows up somewhere

Black Panther shut out, Poppins missed big cats, and Jesse Plemmons makes an appearance

BEST FILM
A Quiet Place
Eighth Grade
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma

BEST DIRECTOR
Bo Burnham – Eighth Grade
Bradley Cooper – A Star is Born
Alfonso Cuarón – Roma
Adam McKay – Vice
Paul Schrader – First Reformed

BEST ACTOR
Christian Bale – Vice
Bradley Cooper – A Star is Born
Ethan Hawke – First Reformed
Rami Malek – Bohemian Rhapsody
John David Washington – BlacKkKlansman

BEST ACTRESS
Toni Collette – Hereditary
Olivia Colman – The Favourite
Elsie Fisher – Eighth Grade
Lady Gaga – A Star is Born
Melissa McCarthy – Can You Ever Forgive Me?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Mahershala Ali – Green Book
Sam Elliott – A Star is Born
Richard E. Grant – Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Josh Hamilton – Eighth Grade
Jesse Plemons – Game Night

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams – Vice
Regina King – If Beale Street Could Talk
Thomasin McKenzie – Leave No Trace
Emma Stone – The Favourite
Rachel Weisz – The Favourite

BREAKTHROUGH
Rafael Casal & Daveed Diggs – Blindspotting
Elsie Fisher – Eighth Grade
Lady Gaga – A Star is Born
Boots Riley – Sorry to Bother You

BEST SCREENPLAY
Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara – The Favourite
Paul Schrader – First Reformed
Nick Vallelonga, Brian Hayes Currie and Peter Farrelly – Green Book
Adam McKay – Vice

BEST USE OF MUSIC
A Star is Born
Bohemian Rhapsody
Green Book
Mandy
Mary Poppins Returns

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Incredibles 2
Isle of Dogs
Ralph Breaks the Internet
Smallfoot
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Free Solo
RBG
Three Identical Strangers
Whitney
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

BEST ENSEMBLE
Crazy Rich Asians
Eighth Grade
The Favourite
Roma
Vice

• Like 1

Man, Eighth Grade and First Reformed have shown up everywhere. One of them is getting in for Best Picture, I think. Not sure which.

As for why I think Lin Manuel Miranda could win Supporting Actor, I just do not buy any of the main contenders as winners (outside Grant) at this point, and he's a super famous (also not white) dude that people want to award and give an EGOT too. IDK, I could see it. I loved Star is Born and Elliot has a couple great moments in it, but is THAT performance really winning Best Supporting Actor?? I guess. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Man, Eighth Grade and First Reformed have shown up everywhere. One of them is getting in for Best Picture, I think. Not sure which.

As for why I think Lin Manuel Miranda could win Supporting Actor, I just do not buy any of the main contenders as winners (outside Grant) at this point, and he's a super famous (also not white) dude that people want to award and give an EGOT too. IDK, I could see it. I loved Star is Born and Elliot has a couple great moments in it, but is THAT performance really winning Best Supporting Actor?? I guess. 

After Schrader's new nonsense, it'd be Eighth Grade :lol: EG has an advantage with Scott Rudin as well. That said, I have it at 13th or 14th. It has a big uphill battle when Screenplay will be its only other nomination. A24 is probably just sitting this year out in the main category.

Disney seems pretty set on pushing Lin in lead. If he was supporting everywhere outside the Globes, their FYC site probably would've reflected that. But yeah, you're dead on about Elliott not feeling like a winning performance. He's barely in the movie and doesn't affect the plot as much as someone like Mahershala Ali in Moonlight. When he's not around, Bradley Cooper is never reminiscing about him (maybe he did in that one scene towards the end?).

Edited by WrathOfHan

The problem with Supporting Actor is you can pick any contender and find something big going against them:

Grant: His movie is 12th at best in Picture right now, and he may be the movie's sole nominee if McCarthy and/or Screenplay miss. Now, if CYEFM manages a BP nomination, he'll become the obvious frontrunner.

Ali: He just won two years ago, and Green Book isn't a frontrunner for anything else. Granted, the former didn't stop Waltz from winning relatively recently with a three year gap.

Elliott: If he wins, he may beat the category's record for the smallest screentime (10 minutes). I also think his only path to a win is if exactly one of Cooper and Gaga win because I have a hard time seeing them give ASIB three acting wins or Elliott winning but neither of the leads.

Carell/Rockwell: Kind of the same deal as ASIB only with Bale and Adams, but if both get in, vote cancelling could happen. Screentime could also be an issue for Rockwell even though he apparently steals every scene he's in.

Driver: Not a flashy role at all.

Chalamet: He'd be a sole nominee for a no1curr movie. There's no buzz or momentum for him anymore this year.

Kaluuya: If Elliott might take the least screentime record, Kaluuya sure as shit would. He's in Widows for 5-6 minutes max, which is a movie that's losing steam.

Honestly, Michael B Jordan probably has the least going against him on paper; genre is the only tick against him that comes to mind. He needs a major critic win or a couple nominations to be viable though, and he's a borderline nominee at the moment. If buzz picks up, I can see him taking it. HE'S BEEN WAITING HIS ENTIRE LIFE FOR THIS!

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think ethan hawke is still gonna get nominated. and there's no real guarantee this catches on. we'll see. some controversies seem to live short term in the memory like that Viggo N word thing seems like it just came and went.

When did Viggio say the N Word?

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It was at an Academy or SAG screening of Green Book. He was saying how nobody says it anymore. It wasn't really racist, just very ignorant and clueless. 

If the controversy does stick, I reckon it’s something the guilds and academy will care more about than critics.  If Viggo misses SAG, I think he’ll definitely be missing an Oscar nom.

4 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

The problem with Supporting Actor is you can pick any contender and find something big going against them:

Grant: His movie is 12th at best in Picture right now, and he may be the movie's sole nominee if McCarthy and/or Screenplay miss. Now, if CYEFM manages a BP nomination, he'll become the obvious frontrunner.

Ali: He just won two years ago, and Green Book isn't a frontrunner for anything else. Granted, the former didn't stop Waltz from winning relatively recently with a three year gap.

Elliott: If he wins, he may beat the category's record for the smallest screentime (10 minutes). I also think his only path to a win is if exactly one of Cooper and Gaga win because I have a hard time seeing them give ASIB three acting wins or Elliott winning but neither of the leads.

Carell/Rockwell: Kind of the same deal as ASIB only with Bale and Adams, but if both get in, vote cancelling could happen. Screentime could also be an issue for Rockwell even though he apparently steals every scene he's in.

Driver: Not a flashy role at all.

Chalamet: He'd be a sole nominee for a no1curr movie. There's no buzz or momentum for him anymore this year.

Kaluuya: If Elliott might take the least screentime record, Kaluuya sure as shit would. He's in Widows for 5-6 minutes max, which is a movie that's losing steam.

Honestly, Michael B Jordan probably has the least going against him on paper; genre is the only tick against him that comes to mind. He needs a major critic win or a couple nominations to be viable though, and he's a borderline nominee at the moment. If buzz picks up, I can see him taking it. HE'S BEEN WAITING HIS ENTIRE LIFE FOR THIS!

I would be thrilled to no end if A24 somehow was able to get Josh Hamilton in here for a nomination. Field is certainly dead enough to allow for an unexpected surprise to emerge.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I would be thrilled to no end if A24 somehow was able to get Josh Hamilton in here for a nomination. Field is certainly dead enough to allow for an unexpected surprise to emerge.

If Eighth Grade wants to sneak in for picture it’s going to need an acting nom or directing nom to go with screenplay.  Fisher would be the obvious choice but actress is loaded, so I’d see it hard for her to sneak in being so young.

Hamilton could definitely be surprise player.  Bo Burnham would also fit the bill as a “Wtf indie nod” that nobody sees coming.

11 hours ago, Slambros said:

The movie in itself is a controversy if you have not noticed, so that is the least of their worries right now. 

Green Book’s controversies never really went anywhere. Aside from the Viggo thing, that “Don Shirley’s family blasts the movie” piece from the other week never gained any traction. Movie’s probably lucky it’s only in contention for nominations and not any wins (not even for Ali).

Maybe the controversies around Green Book went away, but the backlash sure as shit didn't. The Ringer and Vulture, two very popular sites for film fans, both had massive articles just in the last few days trashing its entire premise, and there's many more of them out there. Even if those specific controversies don't hurt it, the backlash to its old-ass, corny, feel-good view of race relations is still hella out there. It's like Driving Miss Daisy 2018. That's what I'm focused on when I talk about it potentially struggling. 

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/11/27/18112880/green-book-race-viggo-mortensen-mahershala-ali-peter-farrelly

https://www.vulture.com/2018/11/green-book-flopped-but-who-was-it-supposed-to-be-for.html

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1