Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Plenty of snubs here. Vice, BlacKkKlansman, The Favourite, Widows. Also: Incredibles 2 for Animated Film and not Isle of Dogs.

Oh yeah and no First Man as well. Lots of snubs this year.

But hey, at least there was no blind Eastwood love from them this year (since nobody has seen The Mule yet and The 15:17 to Paris was too embarrassing).

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

thomasin mckenzie winning best breakthrough here and elsie fisher winning it at the gothams are both pretty cool! they won't get oscar nominations but they're probably my #1 and #2 in best actress right now.

Haven’t seen Leave No Trace yet but Fisher is likely making my ballot at our awards (Gaga and Amandla Stenberg in The Hate U Give are the others that I’ve seen so far that are sure to make the cut).

NBR matches with the Oscars over the decade

Picture: Nod

Top Films + Picture: 6/9 (Missed the winner)

Director: Nod

Actor: Missed

Actress: Nod

Supporting Actor: Nod

Supp Actress: Won

Ori Screenplay: Missed

Ad Screenplay: Nod

Animation: Won

Doc: Missed

Foreign: Missed

Top Films + Picture: 7/9

Actor: Won

Actress: Missed

Supp Actor: Nod

Supp Actress: Nod

AS: Missed

Animation: Nod

Doc: Won

Foreign: Won

Top Films + Picture: 5/8

Director: Missed

Actor: Nod

Actress: Won

AS: Nod

Picture: Missed

Top Films + Picture: 4/8

Actor: Tie: Missed/Nod

Actress: Won

Supp Actress: Missed

Animated: Nod

Foreign: Nod

2013:

Top Films + Picture: 5/9

Supp Actor: Missed

2012: 

Top Films + Picture: 7/9

Actress: Nod

Supp Actor: Missed

2011: 

Top Films + Picture: 5/9

Supp Actor: Won

AS: Won

Doc: Nod

2010:

Top Films + Picture: 7/10

Supp Actor: Won

AS: Won

Overall:

Picture: Nod 7/8, Win 0/8

Top Films + Picture: 42/71 Nods

Director: 4/8 Nod, 0/8 Win

Actor: Nod 7/9, Win 1/9

Actress: 4/8 Nod, 2/8 Win

Supp Actor: 6/8 Nod, 2/8 Win

Supp Actress: 3/8 Nod, 1/8 Win

AS: 7/8 Nod, 2/8 Win

Animation: 8/8 Nod, 4/8 Win

Foreign: 5/8 Nod, 4/8 Win

Doc: 4/8 Nod, 3/8 Win

If NBR was the only Metric:

Picture:

87.5% Chance Green Book receives a nomination

0% Chance Green Book wins BP

55% Chance the following films receive a nomination (or about half of them will get a nod): The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, Black Panther, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Eighth Grade, First Reformed, If Beale Street Could Talk, Mary Poppins Returns, A Quiet Place, Roma, A Star is Born

Director:

50% Chance Bradley Cooper receives a nomination

0% Chance Bradley Cooper wins Best Director

Actor:

77.8% Chance Viggo Mortensen receives a nomination

11.11% Chance Mortensen wins Best Actor (14.29% chance if Mortensen gets the nomination)

Actress:

50% Chance Lady Gaga receives a nomination

25% Chance Lady Gaga wins Best Actress (50% chance if Lady Gaga gets the nomination)

Supporting Actress:

37.5% Chance Regina King receives a nomination

12.5% chance King wins Best Supporting Actress (33.33% chance if King gets the nomination)

Supporting Actor:

75% Chance Sam Elliott receives a nomination

25% Chance Elliott wins Best Supporting Actor (33.33% chance if Elliott get the nomination)

Original Screenplay:

12.5% Chance First Reformed receives a nomination

12.5% Chance First Reformed Wins Original Screenplay (~100% if First Reformed gets the nomination, only one sample so lol at 100%)

Adapted Screenplay:

87.5% Chance If Beale Street Could Talk receives a nomination

25% Chance If Beale Street Could Talk wins Adapted Screenplay (28.57% chance if Beale Street gets the nomination)

Animation:

100% Chance Incredibles 2 receives a nomination

50% Chance Incredibles 2 wins Animated Feature

Foreign:

62.5% Chance Cold War receives a nomination

50% Chance Cold War wins Best Foreign Feature (80% chance if Cold War gets the nomination)

Documentary:

50% Chance RBG receives a nomination

37.5% Chance RBG wins Best Documentary Feature (75% chance if RBG gets nomination)

Based on all of this:

Bet on Incredibles 2 getting an Animated Feature nomination

Bet on If Beale Street Could Talk getting a Screenplay nod

Bet on Green Book and Mortensen getting a BP and Actor Nod (but don't bet on either of them being contenders to win)

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Slambros said:

First Reformed has already received two important Screenplay wins (Gotham and NPR), so that bodes extremely well for its nomination. It seems like the critic circles have responded very well to it.

Oddly enough, getting an OS screenplay Nod from NBR seems to be a curse, because only one NPR winner for OS has gotten a nomination this decade.

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Haven’t seen Leave No Trace yet but Fisher is likely making my ballot at our awards (Gaga and Amandla Stenberg in The Hate U Give are the others that I’ve seen so far that are sure to make the cut).

performance that definitely deserves to be in the conversation but won't be because it's almost a year old and it's in a broad comedy: Rachel McAdams in Game Night.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

performance that definitely deserves to be in the conversation but won't be because it's almost a year old and it's in a broad comedy: Rachel McAdams in Game Night.

Game Night should be a nominee for SAG Ensemble tbh. Jesse Plemons might still be my favorite Supporting Actor performance from this year so far.

20 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

thomasin mckenzie winning best breakthrough here and elsie fisher winning it at the gothams are both pretty cool! they won't get oscar nominations but they're probably my #1 and #2 in best actress right now.

Coolio gets it (tho I'd swap them around mostly bc I like Eighth Grade better)

Also, I am going to be keeping tabs of each precursor.  And I decided the most unbiased way to determine a precursors weight is how well they match with the Oscars for each individual category.  

So, every precursor will have potential for 10 points, but will only get a fraction based off how well that match (so if they match 2/8 times this decade, they get 2.5 points for that cat).  I may potentially beef up the weight for the guilds, haven't fully decided if I will or not yet.

This will certainly be a major step up from how I was weighting precursors last year.  I should even be able to come up with nice probabilities in my nomination tables (and I'll throw in how confident I feel about each given probability as well).

I may throw in a scandal weight as well.  For example, Mortensen may have a high probability (as of now), but you could theoretically say his n-word scandal should weight that probability down a bit.  Same with James Franco last year.

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Also, I am going to be keeping tabs of each precursor.  And I decided the most unbiased way to determine a precursors weight is how well they match with the Oscars for each individual category.  

So, every precursor will have potential for 10 points, but will only get a fraction based off how well that match (so if they match 2/8 times this decade, they get 2.5 points for that cat).  I may potentially beef up the weight for the guilds, haven't fully decided if I will or not yet.

This will certainly be a major step up from how I was weighting precursors last year.  I should even be able to come up with nice probabilities in my nomination tables (and I'll throw in how confident I feel about each given probability as well).

I may throw in a scandal weight as well.  For example, Mortensen may have a high probability (as of now), but you could theoretically say his n-word scandal should weight that probability down a bit.  Same with James Franco last year.

I still don't buy this argument. Franco's case was dropped like three days before voting ending. He wasn't nominated because there were better performances

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I still don't buy this argument. Franco's case was dropped like three days before voting ending. He wasn't nominated because there were better performances

Not saying he wouldn't have missed, but even just negative press could potentially have an impact on voting.  Not to mention the case hadn't been dropped for a decent portion of time when voting was still open.

My take on NBR nominations: Don't read too much into NBR nominations.

The only take I have from any of the early awards is that Black Kklansman probably needs to start showing strength soon, and also confirmed my long-time thought that Ethan Hawke is a solid third in the Best Actor field with an outside chance to win it if everything breaks right (Cooper spread too thin in other categories and Vice is as divisive as people indicate).

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

i was skimming the Oscar eligibility rules since someone in the lion king thread asked about them and apparently a Best Original Musical category exists but it has to be activated by the music branch executive if they feel like the year justifies the category. obviously not this year but since the genre seems to be making a comeback i wonder if we'll ever see that again.