the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

23 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Bad drop for TLJ, at least they didn't film Episode 9 yet, still  time to course correct to the displease of critics

Critics loved Force Awakens too.

I think the only area where critics are truly biased are the return of older franchises that many of them grew up on. Notice the remarkably good reviews for anything Star Wars (especially the prequels), Indy 4, Superman Returns, etc. They're sometimes as susceptible to nostalgia as everyone else. 

20 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Paul Thomas Anderson movies have become parodies of themselves.

His movies after the big dick one are incomprehensible, over long, tedious, pseudo arty, try-hard messes that have its "fans"  and critics jerk off to and persuade themselves they are deep and have incredible subtext only a few chosen ones can fully comprehend.

There Will Be Blood is a modern classic and will be taught in film schools if it isn't already. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I hope Allison Janney is as good as everyone says she is in I, Tonya, because Supporting Actress is really fucking weak this year. Laurie Metcalf would be such a "whatever" winner.

eh nah. allison janney is one note and shticky. metcalf is great and human. so knowing the oscars that gives the former much better odds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

eh nah. allison janney is one note and shticky. metcalf is great and human. so knowing the oscars that gives the former much better odds.

Janney's performance is so much more interesting and subtle in between the BIG moments. There's a lot going on besides bitchy abusive behavior. 

Metcalfe is just very good in a fairly conventional role and her character is more likable, so she'll likely win off of that based on Oscar history. They like to like the character. 

Edited by tonytr87

16 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

This is maybe literally the only place on Earth where anyone is debating whether TLJ is a financial success or not. It definitely is, no matter its mediocre legs, no matter how anyone feels about it. 

Of course it's a financial success. But it's mediocre legs and WOM matter. They mean that it's nowhere near as successful as it could or should've been. That's the issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jumanji will *rightfully* bump Justice League out of the Top 10 domestic grosses of the year this weekend. I am very happy about that- not to say that DC is deplorable or anything, but to say that one more good film takes its place on the top 10, and one more bad film loses its spot. It's very good to see such a development.

Edit: I made this post assuming Justice League had failed to pass Fate of the Furious, and that Justice League still had the tenth spot. The truth, after research, is that Justice League is currently in 8th above Logan (*sniffle*) and Fate of the Furious. But I am still happy that Jumanji will surpass both Justice League and Fate of the Furious.

I apologize for any confusion.

Edited by slambros

@WrathOfHan: happy new year

6x:

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2, Thor: Ragnarok Round 3

Ready Player One: It, Blade Runner 2049, It Round 2, Justice League, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3

5x:

Black Panther: The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!, Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2, Thor: Ragnarok Round 3

Den of Thieves: Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2, Justice League, Thor: Ragnarok Round 3

Annihilation: Blade Runner 2049, Happy Death Day, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Coco Round 4

Paddington 2: The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Wonder, Coco, The Greatest Showman, Coco Round 4

4x:

12 Strong: The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers: Blade Runner 2049 Round 2, Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2, Geostorm, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3

Isle of Dogs: The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Shape of Water, Downsizing

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

Avengers: Infinity War: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

The Commuter: American Made, Murder on the Orient Express, All the Money in the World, The Greatest Showman

Early Man: Wonder, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Wonder Round 2, Coco Round 4

Sherlock Gnomes: Wonder, Coco, Coco Round 3, Coco Round 4

3x:

Death Wish: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2, Justice League

Maze Runner: The Death Cure: Happy Death Day, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok Round 3

Tomb Raider: Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Geostorm, Murder on the Orient Express

Duck Duck Goose: My Little Pony: The Movie, Wonder, Coco

Fifty Shades Freed: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Shape of Water, All the Money in the World

Blockers: The Disaster Artist, The Disaster Artist Round 2, Downsizing

A Quiet Place: Justice League, The Shape of Water, Downsizing

Rampage: Justice League, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

Alita: Battle Angel: Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 2, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 3, Star Wars: The Last Jedi Round 4

Incredibles 2: Coco, Coco Round 3, Coco Round 4

2x:

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

Red Sparrow: Kingsman: The Golden Circle, The Snowman

The New Mutants: Thor: Ragnarok, Thor: Ragnarok Round 2

Game Night: The Disaster Artist, The Disaster Artist Round 2

Winchester: The House That Ghosts Built: The Disaster Artist Round 2, The Shape of Water

Lean on Pete: The Shape of Water, All the Money in the World

The 15:17 to Paris: The Shape of Water, All the Money in the World

Samson: All the Money in the World, The Greatest Showman

Peter Rabbit: Coco, Coco Round 4

1x:

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Super Troopers 2: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Insidious: The Last Key: Happy Death Day

The Miracle Season: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Mortal Engines: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Thoroughbreds: The Disaster Artist

Sicario 2: Soldado: All the Money in the World

Chappaquiddick: Downsizing

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms: The Greatest Showman

Love, Simon: The Greatest Showman

Sgt. Stubby: Coco Round 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, slambros said:

Jumanji will *rightfully* bump Justice League out of the Top 10 domestic grosses of the year this weekend. I am very happy about that- not to say that DC is deplorable or anything, but to say that one more good film takes its place on the top 10, and one more bad film loses its spot. It's very good to see such a development.

Justice League is in 9th place, that means with Jumanji overtaking it, JL will be 10th, so still in the Top10 and I doubt any other movie that released last year, that isn't already ahead, is able to overtake JL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, EmmaPeel said:

Of course it's a financial success. But it's mediocre legs and WOM matter. They mean that it's nowhere near as successful as it could or should've been. That's the issue.

Or maybe the ‘issue’ is it just behaved like a mega sequel, just like a million other sequels with similar multipliers. Which nobody thought were issues. 

It’s biggest fault was not being the first Star Wars movie in a decade. Just the first in 12 months. Lol

TFA was a one-off once in a blue moon phenomenon. Not every Star Wars film can perform like that. 

It’s expectations that were a tad unrealistic. 

• Like 2

A couple just left Insidious, and while they were friendly about it and didn't complain, they just said they couldn't watch it because "they were both possessed by a demon a couple of days ago and had no idea what this was about"

:hahaha:

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

ehhh naaah. i think it's as much of a hollow attempt at something deeper as every other element of i tonya.

I think there's a subsection of film people that just sneer at anything about poor country bumpkins. Same people that hate I, Tonya hate Three Billboards as well and accuse them both of being fake-deep. Why? Probably because they're comedies at their core. 

• Like 1

i'll probably see Molly's Game tomorrow and Jumanji before I leave for school but ughhh I really just wanna watch Coco a fifth time; I can't remember the last time I've been outright addicted to seeing a movie. 

1 minute ago, tonytr87 said:

I think there's a subsection of film people that just sneer at anything about poor country bumpkins. Same people that hate I, Tonya hate Three Billboards as well and accuse them both of being fake-deep. Why? Probably because they're comedies at their core. 

i hate three billboards because it's racist, not because it's about poor country bumpkins